Ditch the gels for Golden Syrup to fuel long rides ?

Looking for some cheap liquid fuel for my rides other than gels and endurance fuel.  Have been reading on Trainerroad how many cyclists get tired of fueling with gels and turn to maple syrup in water to fuel their training. Even Lionel Sanders uses it for his Triathlons.

That stuff is expensive here in SA. Would golden syrup be a good replacement? I see Illovo Golden Syrup it has 17grams of carbs per tablespoon. Normal  Sugar (to be used in sugar water) has 12grams of carbs per tablespoon. 

I use honey in water (also 17grams) that works well but is double the price of golden syrup. 5 rides a week 2 bottles for 2 longer rides on the weekends those tablespoon costs start adding up. 

Apparently there needs to be a balance of fructose and glucose in your liquid fuel for it to be really effective but I am not sure of the ratio of Golden Syrup but I am not sure. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sucrose is sucrose, whether it's granulated sugar or golden syrup. Sucrose is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose in a 1:1 ratio. 

I use granulated sugar when I don't think I need sodium on shorter rides. Could probably get 10kg of the stuff for the price of a 1kg tub of your choice of endurance fuel.

Not on expert on osmolality and all that stuff, but if you're not trying to push the limits of how much carbs you're trying to cram into a bottle, plain sugar should be just fine. 

I occasionally use sugar water when I'm short on whatever liquid carbs solution I'm on at the time. It works well but yes, it's only one kind of carbs so don't expect to be able to process 120+g/h at high intensities.

I personally usualy only use Cadence carbo fuel or Vigo exceed for racing, long rides and high intensity workouts, the rest of the time (z2/reco rides during the week) I just drink water...or not. And even then I go through a lot of it. But Golden Syrup eiish 🤢

I use pure apple juice mixed with some water (ratio 3:1)

Can't remember where exactly I read it. Was a few years back. Apparently, apple juice contains most of the vital nutrients required.

45 minutes ago, KidCharlemagne said:

No need to stuff your face with sugar on a low-intensity ride, especially the shorter ones. Your liver and muscles store more than enough glycogen for at least a couple of hours. High-intensity races, sure then top-up.

THIS!  Plain water should work. 

If not, add a half a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar to your large bottle.  For emergencies, I carry a Fastbar or a Farbar.

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

it's only one kind of carbs so don't expect to be able to process 120+g/h at high intensities.

It is two sources, but not in the ideal ratio. It's 1:1, so if you are used to 120g/h you can do 80g/h, or if you want the same sweetness then only 40g/h. Add some lemon juice and salt and it's great. Or just buy some maltodextrin and get those carbs without the sickly sweetness.

1 hour ago, KidCharlemagne said:

No need to stuff your face with sugar on a low-intensity ride, especially the shorter ones.

True, but if you do them daily they still need to be fueled and your stores need to be replenished. You're tapping into a minimum of 100g of stored glycogen per hour at endurance pace (not coffee pace though), but likely more. People talk about the recovery window for fueling closing 30min post ride, but they don't often talk about the fact that the window opens when you start riding and not only when you finish. 

5 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

True, but if you do them daily they still need to be fueled and your stores need to be replenished. You're tapping into a minimum of 100g of stored glycogen per hour at endurance pace (not coffee pace though), but likely more. People talk about the recovery window for fueling closing 30min post ride, but they don't often talk about the fact that the window opens when you start riding and not only when you finish. 

my daily morning rides are fueled with just water. They are just short of 60 minutes.

But I can feel if I have not eaten properly the night before, then i just cant give enough on the ride that morning. I should definitely be fueling pre-ride, just to lazy to wake up that little bit earlier.