Warranties & Ethics?

MilkManMike

Seen a lot of negativity on this forum and elsewhere about Garmins warranty policy not being what it once was, and people complaining about replacement/repair costs…. But then one sees an ad like this in classifieds and can’t help but wonder if that doesn’t have something to do with companies getting iffy about warranty perks…

Buy this broken device, and you can give it in to Garmin for a good deal on a warranty replacement…. WTH….

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/computers-and-gps/531248/garmin-to-cycle

9866C305-81CB-44DD-9652-F21232D6CC7E.jpeg

But that's expensive for something that is obviously broken.

Sometimes you get good deals on Used but Working.

9 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

"Gave it in by Garmin" should tell you everything you need to know about the level of savvy this particular individual possesses...

The ad doesnt exactly tell you what you're buying either

I wouldn’t call it unethical because it is disclosing everything it suggests you are able to acquire a new unit using the garmin out of warranty replacement pathway. It would require the buyer to be unethical since the warranty applies only to the original owner. So let’s just say the seller is providing the temptation for a sinner to sin..

Some of the complaints about Garmin (mine, in particular) are not specifically about the cost or warranty cover itself, but about the service and level of communication. Such as an email response taking 28 working days or being expected to bring a device in for an inspection that takes 2-3 weeks when the issue is a known manufacturing defect...

39 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

is it ethical to post the culprit's name in your example/screen shot on this public forum? 

Uhm… it’s a classified advert on this same platform. There is no info on the screenshot that is not also available on the advert? What’s the issue? 

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

The ad doesnt exactly tell you what you're buying either

looks like an 800/810 🤷‍♂️

Would you trust the advertiser?

Would you trust someone you knew exploited his offer?

Has to be no and no

6 hours ago, Puncture Kid said:

Grossly unethical IMHO

BRING BACK THE COMMENTS! BRING BACK THE COMMENTS! COMIC SANS FONT! COMIC SANS FONT!