SA Gravel Champs 2023

Comrade J

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Can you imagine the if the guys had been klapped with the mud section from unbound 200 this year. Dairy industry would see an uptick they would need so much cheese to go with all the 'whines'

UB had its fair share of complaints about that. 
That aside, there are some bloody marvellous dairy farms around Karkloof, cheese is lyfe! 

2 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

UB had its fair share of complaints about that. 
That aside, there are some bloody marvellous dairy farms around Karkloof, cheese is lyfe! 

Some could argue it is the land of milk and honey. 

Karkloof has some stunning dairy farms, I was drooling and taking notes when I last ran Karkloof 100 miler. Our little Dairy can only dream of such operations.

On 8/14/2023 at 10:12 PM, Shwetty said:

As a silly thought experiment, I'd like to know how many entrants would choose to do that race again if they could go back in time and were, for example, offered their entry fee back if they chose to withdraw. No bike/gear changes allowed - you either race it again with the same setup, or pull out and get your money back...

For the rest of us plebs, though, enjoyment (with maybe a smattering of masochistic suffering) is an important aspect to be considered by the powers that be. What I gathered from over-hearing many people during the race and afterwards around the country club, was that most of them thought that it was actually kind of a *** experience. Yes, they raced hard. Yes, they finished, and maybe got some sense of accomplishment from overcoming the day's challenges. But was it worth travelling from all over SA for this event?

Why do you want to apply a mass participation event paradigm to SA champs? It isn’t about the opinion of the back markers, it’s about the racing.

This reminds me of the moaning on the magalies monster (IIRC) route thread.

You're aware that the race entries were open for a few months before it was chosen as the SA champs race as well, right? And you did read the website that quite clearly encourages mass participation (and has done so from the very beginning when the event was first announced on various social media platforms, right up until race day), right? 

While I understand that racing is supposed to be challenging, I think all you lecturers and professors are missing the point I'm trying to make here. I think it is possible to make a race difficult enough such that it selects for the best in the business, while still managing to avoid unnecessary dangers. These dangers also put the pros at risk. And yes, everyone has different risk appetites, and if you want to win you'll probably need a substantial risk appetite. But just because they can race over anything placed in front of them doesn't mean that race organisers should seek out the most hair-raising stuff to throw in the mix.

Take ATP this year, for example.. the race organisers canned the event only the day before because of the weather, citing safety concerns of all involved (see their FB posts). The race organisers of the GoGravel Midlands had months to find a few alternatives to the route that would have made it just as challenging and selective for the pros, but a bit safer for everyone. And I'm not calling for their heads on a chopping block either, just for them to be a bit more cognisant of these things for the next event. Pros, amateurs, and weekend warriors alike are surely allowed to raise safety concerns like this? I don't really understand why you all have such an issue with it. 
Just out of interest, how many of you guys actually rode last weekend?

2 hours ago, Shwetty said:

You're aware that the race entries were open for a few months before it was chosen as the SA champs race as well, right? And you did read the website that quite clearly encourages mass participation (and has done so from the very beginning when the event was first announced on various social media platforms, right up until race day), right? 

While I understand that racing is supposed to be challenging, I think all you lecturers and professors are missing the point I'm trying to make here. I think it is possible to make a race difficult enough such that it selects for the best in the business, while still managing to avoid unnecessary dangers. These dangers also put the pros at risk. And yes, everyone has different risk appetites, and if you want to win you'll probably need a substantial risk appetite. But just because they can race over anything placed in front of them doesn't mean that race organisers should seek out the most hair-raising stuff to throw in the mix.

Take ATP this year, for example.. the race organisers canned the event only the day before because of the weather, citing safety concerns of all involved (see their FB posts). The race organisers of the GoGravel Midlands had months to find a few alternatives to the route that would have made it just as challenging and selective for the pros, but a bit safer for everyone. And I'm not calling for their heads on a chopping block either, just for them to be a bit more cognisant of these things for the next event. Pros, amateurs, and weekend warriors alike are surely allowed to raise safety concerns like this? I don't really understand why you all have such an issue with it. 

I'm curios........what did you see as a safety concern where the winner missed it and actually enjoyed it?

46 minutes ago, betaboy said:

… and then.

There was silience.

😂😂😂

Only responses asked for are from those who actually rode it.... I suspect all other responses will be ignored or deemed irrelevant

If you are a cyclist whether MTB or Road and did the transition to Gravel (Gravel Racing with a purpose built Gravel Bike) you should be able to handle some technical bits. On the road in midrace it starts to rain buckets of water and you are on a steep descent doing 50km/h + on a now wet road and know there is a sharp turn ahead you will know what to do in order not to crash. The same applies to MTB where some skill is needed to negotiate some tech sections to avoid crashing. Those skills can be applied to gravel if there is some tech section look ahead and plan. I do not recall that it was that difficult as per category winners comments.

3 hours ago, Shwetty said:

I think it is possible to make a race difficult enough such that it selects for the best in the business, while still managing to avoid unnecessary dangers. These dangers also put the pros at risk. And yes, everyone has different risk appetites, and if you want to win you'll probably need a substantial risk appetite. 

But one man’s danger is another man’s racing line. Just because you and your peers believe it was dangerous , doesn’t mean the route HAS to be changed. If it’s above your risk appetite, slow down, or walk it.

oh btw, the Around The Pot organizers was forced to cancel by provincial authorities. They didn’t want to.

edit: The whole debate about “the route is too dangerous, too difficult, it must be changed!” has been going for years. I mean I’m not even one of the old manne and I heard it 20 years ago. 

edit2: I didn’t realize that it was marketed as a mass participation event , i will concede on that point . However I stil believe that routes for mass participation events shouldn’t be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, no matter what discipline.

Edited by PhilipV

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Karkloof, SA Gravel Champs, 2023. Never forget. 

fb1ba9aa-3c43-4a54-9a75-e3422cea99e6.jpeg.3c269d2fdab26a93613b99aaf40c2d05.jpeg

.. the only “danger” I see is…if a Dassie would cross into those spokes! 😂😂😂