CSA introduces National Road Cycling Series

DroppedRider

National Road Cycling Series Sets off to Ignite the Thrill of Cycling Across the Country

Cycling South Africa is thrilled to announce the launch of the highly anticipated National Road Cycling Series. This premier event will bring together top cycling athletes, enthusiasts, and spectators from across the country to experience the excitement and adrenaline of road cycling at its finest.

The National Road Cycling Series aims to promote the sport of road cycling, showcase the talents of the country’s most exceptional riders, and create a platform for intense competition and camaraderie. With a series of exhilarating races spanning various terrains and distances, this event promises to captivate audiences and redefine the landscape of professional road cycling in South Africa. 

The plan is for a reduced pilot series of only 6 races for 2023 with the aim of testing the concept for the 2024 series which will span the entire calendar year and all provinces as far as possible, with the potential inclusion of criterium races at some of the races.

The following events will form part of the 2023 National Road Series:

Date

Race

16 Sept

Blue Diamond Classic

Gauteng North, Gauteng

01 Oct

Boland Race of Truth

Cape Winelands, WC

07 Oct

Satellite Classic

Central Gauteng, Gauteng

08 Oct

Timbercity Cycle Tour

Eden Cycling, WC

14 Oct

Free State Challenge

Welkom, FS

22 Oct

Amashova National Classic

Durban, KZN

Key Highlights of the National Road Cycling Series:

1. Prestigious Races: The series will feature a collection of high-profile races, including challenging terrains, gruelling mountain events and speedy flatter races.  The diverse race formats will test the riders’ endurance, agility, and strategic power.
  2. Elite Athletes: The National Road Cycling Series will attract the nation’s most accomplished cyclists, including national champions, and emerging talents. Spectators will have the opportunity to witness their favourite riders pushing the limits of their abilities, engaging in fierce battles for victory.
  3. Nationwide Coverage: The series will traverse picturesque routes spanning the entire country, showcasing its scenic landscapes and cultural heritage. Spectators can gather along the routes to witness the peloton whiz by or tune in as we aspire to have live broadcasts for online streaming to follow the action from anywhere in the country.
  4. Inclusive Participation: The National Road Cycling Series is committed to promoting inclusivity and encouraging participation from cyclists of all levels. Amateur cyclists will have the opportunity to compete alongside elite athletes in certain events, fostering a sense of unity and inspiration within the cycling community.

See more: https://www.cyclingsa.com/national-road-cycling-series/

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they did not just group all the road races in October together and now calling it a series.  I love that its all within like a month so you can have a season of road cycling then get back on your MTB for summer. 

What I am hoping for: 

1. Series prizes at the conclusion of the Amashova - even for Amateurs

2. Series Table points available online even for Amateur riders. I want to be that Mamil who can go to group rides and boast that I am ranked 564th best amateur national road rider in the country 

3. Cycling club table points for the series

4. Full Road closure for the above events to attract amateurs like me ( I can dream)

5. Supersport live broadcasts like what they did for the Comrades 

Someone make it happen. This could bring some exposure for for Road Cycling considering the dwindling race numbers. 

22 minutes ago, DroppedRider said:

Amateur cyclists will have the opportunity to compete alongside elite athletes in certain events, fostering a sense of unity and inspiration within the cycling community.

Alongside? 🤣

I competed alongside some Elites…

… when they passed me going up the hill;
… when they dropped me at the start line.

5 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

A race on Saturday om the 7th in Gauteng then the next day on the 8th in Western Cape??🤔

Think it’s in Oudschoorn as well which makes it even more difficult to get to. 

5 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Correct that is the Eden cycling region.

Seems pretty silly to me really.

Road racing clearly needs some fresh thinking and the idea of a series with an overall winner is cool. Usually this concept means that you do not have not ride all events so peeps can skip the Oudshoorn ride if not keen (can do something ling min 4 entries and the best rider over 4 events) 

The main issue I see is CSA: Everything they touch turns to k@k and their only aim is to generate funds to pay their own salaries .... Cleary Stay Away

Edited by Ozzie NL

32 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

its equally difficlt for the gautengers and kaapies

Super scant on details.

"Here's a list of events that already existed, and we are calling it a series."
Okay, but why should we care any more or less about these events than we already did? Whether that be participation or spectating...

Crisscrossing the country 6 times in 5 weeks does not seem worth a pat on the back, even if you have deep pockets...

Edited by HdB

…interesting that they included the ‘Race of Truth’, since that seems a 10-person TEAM event, but maybe more info to follow?

(I had thought it might have been a 20 - 40km individual team-trial, but alas, not…)

24 minutes ago, Zebra said:

…interesting that they included the ‘Race of Truth’, since that seems a 10-person TEAM event, but maybe more info to follow?

(I had thought it might have been a 20 - 40km individual team-trial, but alas, not…)

I will cry tears of joy if they turn this into a road race for elites. I dream of 5h races and stage races where the longest stage is over 4h and 2000m vert. DC as a road race would be my happy place. 

… and according to them, gravel didn’t even exist? Not in the website, but we’ve hosted a national championship?

How hard must it be to put the new discipline on the app and website? 

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 

But wait….people have already paid the years fees… sit back and do FA!

1 hour ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I will cry tears of joy if they turn this into a road race for elites. I dream of 5h races and stage races where the longest stage is over 4h and 2000m vert. DC as a road race would be my happy place. 

Race of truth for elites not basically the Boland 100miler?

15 hours ago, FootballingCyclist said:

A race on Saturday om the 7th in Gauteng then the next day on the 8th in Western Cape??🤔

Not everyone will be able to travel to all races - so having 2 races on one weekend both sides of the country affords rides from both sides opportunites to score points - we will see how it works.