New to road

shamangoof

I currently ride MTB but keen to get into a bit of road. Just a bit so really looking at low cost. Looking around, it is evident that I can get more value buying a previously owned road bike. I am about 189 cm tall. I ride a Scott XL MTB. Another consideration may be that I am mid 60's age. Would I be looking at 58 cm frame size for a road bike? 

Also, at price point I'm looking at, there are a lot more rim brake models available and alluminium frames. I dont have a problem with either of those points unless someone can persuade me otherwise.

Thanks

My 5c:

Definitely try 2nd hand, since you MIGHT not like it…

…and 2nd hand delivers much better value (generally…)

You might be able to also look at UP TO a size 60 frame; I’m guessing you are 6”2, or 6”3?

Nothing wrong with rim brakes, esp. if you are chasing a price-point.

(have never owned an Alu road bike, only carbon & vintage steel, others will share there thoughts, but they are generally good..)

Chris

Edited by Zebra
Context…

Share what you’re looking, i.t.o. budget, and perhaps a short-list. A number of us can give some help.

I think Cannondale made very light Aluminium frames a while back, Nothing wrong this either, Go for it and find a group to join, it's safer and more enjoyable.

My opinion (not that it is worth much as I've only been on a road bike twice in my life). 

1) The brakes are less effective 

2) You can only pull the brake levers whilst in the drops, this feels very unnatural when coming from a mtb

3) The bars are only 40cm wide, that means the bike feels way more unstable. It is a different riding position, something that does feel awkward when just starting out. 

4) I found it very unsettling having the brake lever integrated with the shifter. If I had to choose I would go with Campag and not Shimano. 

5) On a road bike you have to watch out for just about anything lying around as you'll get flats a lot easier. 

If I wanted to get into road cycling I may have been able to overcome the above but fortunately someone bought the bike before I had the opportunity to do so :D

37 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

My opinion (not that it is worth much as I've only been on a road bike twice in my life). 

2) You can only pull the brake levers whilst in the drops, this feels very unnatural when coming from a mtb

3) The bars are only 40cm wide, that means the bike feels way more unstable. It is a different riding position, something that does feel awkward when just starting out. 

4) I found it very unsettling having the brake lever integrated with the shifter. If I had to choose I would go with Campag and not Shimano. 

5) On a road bike you have to watch out for just about anything lying around as you'll get flats a lot easier. 

If I wanted to get into road cycling I may have been able to overcome the above but fortunately someone bought the bike before I had the opportunity to do so :D

Point 2 is actually an advantage, puts you in the correct position to break hard.

To add my own 2c, the longest adjustment was that my back wheel kept feeling loose compared to how planted a MTB feels, those thin little tires doesn't inspire confidence :D 

30 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

Strange. I have no problem braking with my hands resting on the hoods.

I hear you, I believe that this would've been something I would've started doing as time went by. But for my maiden voyage I was a bit shaky 😁

For today's quality of roads get a Gravel bike with Tubeless set-up and all is sorted, I put gravel tires on my MTB with a rigid fork, all sorted comfy sitting position with straight bars with decent disc brakes.

15 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I hear you, I believe that this would've been something I would've started doing as time went by. But for my maiden voyage I was a bit shaky 😁

True story – it does take a bit of getting used to!

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Just to add my 2c here. Most people actually ride on the hoods 90% of the time and brake from there as well. If you’re coming from hydraulic disks, then it’ll take a bit getting accustomed to it because rim brakes don’t have that bite like disks. In saying this, when you’re descending and braking from the drops, you have quite a lot of stopping power. It’s not instantaneous like disks but you get used to it.

1 hour ago, Newbie321 said:

Point 2 is actually an advantage, puts you in the correct position to break hard.

To add my own 2c, the longest adjustment was that my back wheel kept feeling loose compared to how planted a MTB feels, those thin little tires doesn't inspire confidence :D 

You’d be surprised how much grip those thin little tyres actually give you. And if I’m buying at the budget end, then the first upgrade I’m making is tyres. Bang for buck it’s by the far the best upgrade you can make to your bike.

I think you are on the right track.

Secondhand.  Try the bike out.  Go for a couple of rides.  See if you like it.
Rim brakes will work just FINE.  
Frame material will also not be a huge consideration on your first bike.

Get something cheap.  Figure out if you like it.  If you do, flog it for the same value and then look at the latest and greatest.

5 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I guess you won't be riding much with the hands on the flats, where there are no brakes/shifters to touch. Takes a lot of trust (when riding in a bunch) to ride with the hands that close to the stem, but it's a more relaxed (upright) position.

BTW, standard bar width is 42cm.

12 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I guess you won't be riding much with the hands on the flats, where there are no brakes/shifters to touch. Takes a lot of trust (when riding in a bunch) to ride with the hands that close to the stem, but it's a more relaxed (upright) position.

BTW, standard bar width is 42cm.

Ya, that freaks me out, but just shows you how little I do know about road bike stuff 😁

7 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Just to add my 2c here. Most people actually ride on the hoods 90% of the time and brake from there as well. If you’re coming from hydraulic disks, then it’ll take a bit getting accustomed to it because rim brakes don’t have that bite like disks. In saying this, when you’re descending and braking from the drops, you have quite a lot of stopping power. It’s not instantaneous like disks but you get used to it.

You’d be surprised how much grip those thin little tyres actually give you. And if I’m buying at the budget end, then the first upgrade I’m making is tyres. Bang for buck it’s by the far the best upgrade you can make to your bike.

What would you upgrade the tyres to ?

Like @RobertWhitehead my test ride on a rode bike was a scary experience ... :eek:  30 years ago I was doing 1 000 km per month on a road bike, with old school toe clips as well.  Today I much prefer 800mm flat bars.

A few other points:

• Look for a bike with slightly higher stack (some road models will be more racy, some more endurance oriented - if you have not spent a lot of time bent over like a shrimp I'd aim more for an endurance type fit)
  • I personally wouldn't bother with a gravel bike, if you want to ride road. I would personally get something lightweight, simple, and fast. Plenty of aluminium road bikes can do that for you in the under R10k range. 
  • Get good tyres. They make a massive difference. If you can fit 28mm, go there.