Looking for affordable robust gravel bike

MG22

I am looking for a gravel bike that is robust. Which brand would you recommend: titan switch, ride Farr, rook scout, Scott speedster, Momsen gp300 etc ? Are the local brands any good ? My budget 25k

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, MG22 said:

I am looking for a gravel bike that is robust. Which brand would you recommend: titan switch, ride Farr, rook scout, Scott speedster, Momsen gp300 etc ? Are the local brands any good ? My budget 25k

I abused my scout, it held up well. 
100 milers, bike packing, arguses, etc

Scott Speedster would be my First Choice from Your List.

Local Brands are Generic Chinese Rebranded.

Edited by dasilvarsa

3 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Scott Speedster would be my First Choice from Your List.

Local Brands are Generic Chinese Rebranded.

Scott bikes are made in Taiwan?

Do you have any real world experience on how they hold up or do you just love nay saying?

Titan bikes are designed in SA and manufactured elsewhere, much like almost all other bike brands. 

I know guys that have absolutely shredded their Momsen GP300, Titan Switches and Rooks.

Every thread asking about Titan or Signal you just shout it down.

Who hurt you? Why do you always have to be negative about these bike brands? 

I'm genuinely interested in the answer. It's like clockwork, every time a thread pops up mentioning the SA brands you pop up saying 'None of these!' Or some such. 

OP, the truth is, bikes these days are all pretty similar in a similar price bracket. I would look for Hydro brakes and tubeless ready rims as a basic.

The rest will come down to whether you want it for going fast or going comfortable. I'm sure you could get a carbon frame Titan Switch for 25k ish. 

There are a few decent bikes in the classifieds under budget too with Tubeless tires and hydro groupset.

32 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Scott bikes are made in Taiwan?

Do you have any real world experience on how they hold up or do you just love nay saying?

Titan bikes are designed in SA and manufactured elsewhere, much like almost all other bike brands. 

I know guys that have absolutely shredded their Momsen GP300, Titan Switches and Rooks.

Every thread asking about Titan or Signal you just shout it down.

Who hurt you? Why do you always have to be negative about these bike brands? 

I'm genuinely interested in the answer. It's like clockwork, every time a thread pops up mentioning the SA brands you pop up saying 'None of these!' Or some such. 

OP, the truth is, bikes these days are all pretty similar in a similar price bracket. I would look for Hydro brakes and tubeless ready rims as a basic.

The rest will come down to whether you want it for going fast or going comfortable. I'm sure you could get a carbon frame Titan Switch for 25k ish. 

There are a few decent bikes in the classifieds under budget too with Tubeless tires and hydro groupset.

I'm Sorry Boss

I'm Allowed to give my Expert Opinion.

I'm Retired Now but I did Work for a While in the Industry.

Like Your Comprehensive Rant.

Scott is still my First Choice.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Have a Momsen GP300, full mechanical brakes (would have wanted at least the mechanical to hydro brakes) with SRAM 1x11. Paid R14/5k for it second hand, it is not lightest nor the fastest, but it has tubeless ready rims and it rides lekker.

I don't know your size but le bikehub has many options to consider, including:

scott-speedster-10-m-11spd-hydrdisc

ridefarr-gravel-touring-bike-for-sale

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/gravel-bikes/649929/titan-carbon-comp

etc.

Edit: Local brands are great.

Edited by Roul

Bikes are all made in factories with the exact same setups.

Groupsets are all the same on all bikes. In other words Sram Apex on a Specialized is  not better than Sram Apex on a Titan.

The big difference comes in the geometry of a particular bike. The bigger brands spend more money on refining the ride quality of their bikes.

With that said, I rode a Silverback Gravel GR for a few years, it was the best bike I ever had (and there have been many across many disciplines) till it was stolen after a break in.

I now have the gravel CF. Geometries on these bikes are really dialled in.

Slightly different thought .....

Have a look at the very wide range of specials at the moment.

Bike Addict have a lot of 2022 stock at 25% discount.  Durbanville Cyclery is now posting similar adds.  Pretty sure many other shops will be doing similar, or at least will price match.

These specials span across a wide range of brands !

2 hours ago, MG22 said:

My girlfriend recently bought a Titan Switch Carbon, based on her experience on the bike I would recommend it—heaps of tire clearance, 50mm on 700c. 

The finishing kit is okay, at worst you'll need to change the handlebar, as all sizes are shipped with 44cm handlebars. 

great deal. seems like at this price point it is either a carbon frame OR hydraulic brakes then.

My choice would be a carbon frame, but this is only my opinion. 

Just now, Mongoose! said:

great deal. seems like at this price point it is either a carbon frame OR hydraulic brakes then.

My choice would be a carbon frame, but this is only my opinion. 

100%, my girlfriend's Titan Switch Carbon came with cable-actuated brakes and road-like gear ratios. She bought the bike on a sale and we incrementally upgraded the components. 

I called out the handlebar because that might have to be factored into the OP's budget when considering the bike. 44cm feels crazy wide, she generally rides a 36/38 😅

24 minutes ago, Dappere said:

100%, my girlfriend's Titan Switch Carbon came with cable-actuated brakes and road-like gear ratios. She bought the bike on a sale and we incrementally upgraded the components. 

I called out the handlebar because that might have to be factored into the OP's budget when considering the bike. 44cm feels crazy wide, she generally rides a 36/38 😅

Would also look at just upgrading as need... But to the OP, if you won't be worse off (unless your on the sharp pointy end) with alu, consider second hand.

However if you take the carbon Titan, ensure you leave some room for upgrades, handlebars (buy second hand), tubeless conversion (don't know if the bike comes with tubeless tyres, if not, will set you back R1,800 cheapest for the set) and a good seat (if you don't have one already).