TransBaviaans 2023 - Race Edt

pedal menace

15 minutes ago, Rowl said:

There aren't any energy drinks at the any of the tables, only coke and water. The normal food is available at the various CPs, i.e. Roosterkoek at CP1, Sweets (gummies) and Fruit (oranges and bananas) at CP2, SOSATIE WORS at CP3, Soup & bread at CP4, Chip rolls at CP5 and Jafels at CP6. Coffee also available through out.

My opinion, I'll take the above over a bar any day. Part of the vibe at Trans.

29 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

No nutrition? The race guide says there is supposed to be energy drinks and snacks at every checkpoint 

We didn't even see the fruit or sweets at CP2, might have been delivered later in the day. We were riding for time, packed light and didn't use the boxes so it was a serious downer when there was nothing of use at the waterpoints. Sosaties and soup are nice but you cant exactly put it in your backpocket... I got seriously gatvol of gu's by the second half of the race 🤣

Haven't done other Baviaans races recently to know if this is a once-off but I would suggest if you want nutrition and energy drinks for the ride itself pack it in the boxes.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

We didn't even see the fruit or sweets at CP2, might have been delivered later in the day. We were riding for time, packed light and didn't use the boxes so it was a serious downer when there was nothing of use at the waterpoints. Sosaties and soup are nice but you cant exactly put it in your backpocket... I got seriously gatvol of gu's by the second half of the race 🤣

Haven't done other Baviaans races recently to know if this is a once-off but I would suggest if you want nutrition and energy drinks for the ride itself pack it in the boxes.

CP2s goodies were in the big shed, included marshmallows which I also gobbled down.

But agreed, can't exactly put a wors in your shirt. 

1 hour ago, splat said:

But you have to buy food at Check Points now ?
SRLSY ?

If I remember correctly, it was only at CP5. Coffee, crisps, and cold drinks (including Savannah).

There was other stuff available - chip roll, water, instant coffee and probably other stuff that my brain didn't bother with at that point.

The downloadable race guide provides a fairly good breakdown of what will be available where.

They used to have what they liked to call 'Powerwater - said in Afrikaans' besides water and Coke at the CP's but can't recall seeing it there this here. There is more than enough available in my opinion and if you like something specific ito nutrition carry it with in ziplock bags or send it in the boxes.

We usually pop a recovery shake/meal replacement in a couple of the boxes in case you do not feel like soup or sosatie wors at certain times. A Lucozade in the box/with your support also an option.

Some wetwipes in your box at Bergplaas nice to have especially if you are planning to change into some warmer and dry clothes.

My 2c.

CP2 had plastic scoops for the sweet bowls which is very civilized - except for the muppet who pushed in, ignored the scoop, dug his porta potty gloved hand into the joob-joobs and elbowed his way out chewing with his mouth open. It might have been the same idiot wandering around CP3 with a LED strip light lifted off a jeep's roof on full blast pushing his way into the soup queue.

I quite often am not enamoured of my medemens. 

I like to take my own nutrition on most races and I then cruise the tables and pick up anything I see that I think I might like - I'm a huge fan of orange slices and watermelon. I usually finish a race with one or 2 mashed baby potatoes in the bottom of my handlebar feed bag.

31 minutes ago, Mamil said:

CP2 had plastic scoops for the sweet bowls which is very civilized - except for the muppet who pushed in, ignored the scoop, dug his porta potty gloved hand into the joob-joobs and elbowed his way out chewing with his mouth open. It might have been the same idiot wandering around CP3 with a LED strip light lifted off a jeep's roof on full blast pushing his way into the soup queue.

I like to take my own nutrition on most races and I then cruise the tables and pick up anything I see that I think I might like - I'm a huge fan of orange slices and watermelon. I usually finish a race with one or 2 mashed baby potatoes in the bottom of my handlebar feed bag.

Having completed 8 TB's myself I have come to realize that this is an event where you would probably meet/see MTB'ers from all classes and levels with only one thing in common ............... make it to JBay, no matter what.

Apart from many memorable incidents, one that stands out is the 2 gals in the 2008 TB with conventional torches strapped to their handlebars with duct tape. They drew real diverse comments from riders and support crews alike.

They finished !!!!!!

Torch.webp

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Saw the same at CP2 and CP3, and thought the same, what flippen muppets.

I wonder if I can persuade my team tomdo the race and the repeat next year

On 8/12/2024 at 10:45 AM, Skubarra said:

Was flippen tough on a gravel bike, route definitely more suited to mtb's.

Haha, it's there in the logo. No wonder you had some heartburn:D

34 minutes ago, TIB said:

Haha, it's there in the logo. No wonder you had some heartburn:D

Did you see any gravel bikes this weekend?

6 hours ago, hboli4 said:

@DieselnDust - How did it go, was it the marathon you expected?

Hiya , it went ok. 14:52

a bit longer than we expected after the under trained member pulled Out due to health issues. The three of us worked well. Maybe a bit too hard at the beninging.

IlI cramped Like B-person RayGun on the dance floor at CP 4, needed a slow release slow Mag to sort me out. I bounced back after that. We spent an hour at CP5 due to a feast being laid out by our support driver.😂

report will be posted this evening for the mornings bog reading