Car changes over the years

OVERDRIVE

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every iteration of a model gets bigger. 
the current Honda Civic is now the size of a previous gen Honda Accord. 
the original Civic we got in the early 90s is smaller than our current smallest Honda. 

Toyota RAV4 that everyone knows, first one was not much bigger than a Suzuki Jimmy, look at them now. 

yet parking spaces have become tighter as more bays are squeezed into the same space, roads have remained the same width. 

6 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Have a look at the dimensions of the new Ford Rangers with all the plastic clip-ons .....  It no longer fits in a parking bay, both in terms of width and height.

I thought those always parked over two parking bays anyway, so the width would never have been an issue?

7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Have a look at the dimensions of the new Ford Rangers with all the plastic clip-ons .....  It no longer fits in a parking bay, both in terms of width and height.

I had a T6 ranger(2016), it did not fit in most parking bays, but then again some bays are just made smaller

7 hours ago, ChrisF said:

And length

7 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Every iteration of a model gets bigger. 
the current Honda Civic is now the size of a previous gen Honda Accord. 
the original Civic we got in the early 90s is smaller than our current smallest Honda. 

Toyota RAV4 that everyone knows, first one was not much bigger than a Suzuki Jimmy, look at them now. 

yet parking spaces have become tighter as more bays are squeezed into the same space, roads have remained the same width. 

I'm jus not a fan of the Range. Its a really nice car, but i really can't justify the maintainance cost...

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

And length

Basement parking at work ...

Previous barely fit length wise. Now it overhangs by a lot ....

Some incidents with dings from doors as they were wide ... new ones are just too wide.  Having to fold back mirrors to hugg columns on side, then still too wide to properlt open driver door.

Height fits ... but with a flat canopy .... doubt there is much clearance.

People now shuffling parking bays ....

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Basement parking at work ...

Previous barely fit length wise. Now it overhangs by a lot ....

Some incidents with dings from doors as they were wide ... new ones are just too wide.  Having to fold back mirrors to hugg columns on side, then still too wide to properlt open driver door.

Height fits ... but with a flat canopy .... doubt there is much clearance.

People now shuffling parking bays ....

Heres's a thought. Since we cant enlarge buildings, maybe we just re-demarcate all the parking bays? 

four different types of cars are shown in this graphic style, including the range rover