Shimano Ultegra R8000 crank failure

SURFER

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Local distributor replaced my Ultegra which was outside warranty (3 years) with a Dura Ace, although it did take some persuasion from my LBS.

Lets wait and see what will happen in SA.

Well, in the US at least, only cranks that show signs of the defect will be replaced.

Mine is one of the mentioned codes. Let's see how it holds out tomorrow morning. 🤣 I don't really want to immediately stop using it (as recommended in the US) until something may or may not happen in South Africa 

There is another thread on this. 

I read it to be an inspection and possibly followed by replacement.

I doubt they'll be recalling that many cranksets, though they should.

I see this recall, in SA, going the way of so many world wide recalls. Local guys will most likely deny any existence of a recall. Or come up with excuses why your particular part cannot be recalled. (I'm talking to you Audi SA)

If the failure rate remains at 0.6%, as reported, not much stock is needed. Only cranks displaying damage are being replaced in this recall.

P.S. I marked myself as safe after my ride this morning, crank still intact.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

I see this recall, in SA, going the way of so many world wide recalls. Local guys will most likely deny any existence of a recall. Or come up with excuses why your particular part cannot be recalled. (I'm talking to you Audi SA)

Off-topic:

Try Hyundai with their known paint problems on the I20, we have three in the family, the oldest vehicle that was in an accident, was redone on their cost, the other two, sorry decline, "Hyundai has spend their target on the campaign", if it was not for all the challenges our family is facing at this moment, would have loved to take Hyundai to the Ombudsman.

DA9000 was launched in 2012, my crank is on the list, but think it would have failed by now if it is going to....

My son broke his 8000 Ultegra crank a few years back, once it started splitting, did not look very solid inside. It was replaced, no issues.