Shimano Ultegra R8000 crank failure

SURFER

10 minutes ago, shaper said:

DA9000 was launched in 2012, my crank is on the list, but think it would have failed by now if it is going to....

it all starts with a hairline crack... barely visible to the eye 😜  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Off-topic:

Try Hyundai with their known paint problems on the I20, we have three in the family, the oldest vehicle that was in an accident, was redone on their cost, the other two, sorry decline, "Hyundai has spend their target on the campaign", if it was not for all the challenges our family is facing at this moment, would have loved to take Hyundai to the Ombudsman.

Audi's 2.0T engine issues are known worldwide. But we were second owner, car was outside of warranty. Audi  SA says "sorry not our problem, we wont even meet you part of the way". That was R130k repair bill.

Coolheat is the sole importer of Shimano components to South Africa.

The cranks under recall were also distributed here in SA.

Did they release any form of media statement to bring this under the local consumers attention?

Something like:

The same cranks as distributed by us here locally, were recalled in other parts of the world. Please inspect your cranks on a regular basis to observe early signs of failure.

Although we not always carry stock of the Shimano parts you need, and the Shimano geo block model prevents you from buying it online from an offshore supplier, we always put the safety of our consumer first.

🙃

Edited by Mongoose!

16 hours ago, Nick said:

Well, in the US at least, only cranks that show signs of the defect will be replaced.

Mine is one of the mentioned codes. Let's see how it holds out tomorrow morning. 🤣 I don't really want to immediately stop using it (as recommended in the US) until something may or may not happen in South Africa 

Do you not think this is something that deserves a news article?

There is an official release from Shimano and it should really be more visible than a mention in a random thread.

Edited by MintSauce

My Ultegra 6800 crankset failed in 2018. I happened to be stripping the bike for a proper clean when I spotted the crack. I emailed CWC who supplied the complete groupset in 2014 and, as is to be expected, the warranty claim was declined.

I sold the left crankarm and no longer have the broken part, but I bet the saved emails, pictures and proof of purchase will mean  nothing.

I cannot actually believe Shimano took so long to own up to this. It's actually painful to ride components (that I far prefer to that of other manufacturers) whose maker treats their customers with such utter disdain.

2 hours ago, shaper said:

DA9000 was launched in 2012, my crank is on the list, but think it would have failed by now if it is going to....

Not necessarily. Mines 2016 vintage and only started freaking and clicking a few months ago . Different pedals and a new bb didn’t solve the problem.

Id like to see how they address the power meter enabled cranks! They mentioned a credit note to the value of your PM to the nominated retailer. So the thing is useage and local environmental conditions all play a role in how soon the corrosion issue manifests as a debonding of the crank.

Would this be just the crank? are the chainring's considered part of the crank? Customer now sits with the unexpected expense of a new chain and cassette to go with that replacement crank.

4 hours ago, MintSauce said:

My Ultegra 6800 crankset failed in 2018. I happened to be stripping the bike for a proper clean when I spotted the crack. I emailed CWC who supplied the complete groupset in 2014 and, as is to be expected, the warranty claim was declined.

I sold the left crankarm and no longer have the broken part, but I bet the saved emails, pictures and proof of purchase will mean  nothing.

I cannot actually believe Shimano took so long to own up to this. It's actually painful to ride components (that I far prefer to that of other manufacturers) whose maker treats their customers with such utter disdain.

Never liked the newer look of these cranks, all smooth and shiny my precious 

R7000 105 groupo with older group specific 10spd 110bcd crank, switch between 50/34 & 52/36 11spd chainrings depending on my route

Heavier crank set but bullet proof

• 3 weeks later...