Shimano Ultegra R8000 crank failure

SURFER

My Shimano Ultegra R8000 crank failed on me this weekend on my way down Du Toits Kloof pass.  I was lucky it did not came apart while riding.  About 4 weeks ago I experienced a squeaking noise while pedaling (around bottom bracket).    Replaced BB, no luck.  Could not find the issue until I could feel side way movement on drive side crank when pedaling last weekend.

Contacted Shimano (through my local bike shop).  No luck, warrantee only 2 years (my crank 3 years old).  No replacement, although this is a known issue with Dura Ace and Ultegra cranks (google).  The agent also say that there is no more Ultegra 11 speed cranks available ( not that I will go for Ultegra again).

Will be purchasing  Shimano 105 R7000 cranks which do not have the same issues (forged Hollow tech technology, not glued together like  Ultegra and DA).   

If you have Ultegra or Dura Ace cranks check for cracks regularly.

Crank 1.jpg

Crank 2.jpg

crank 3.jpg

Crank 4.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well known issue, never experienced it myself though. You can find brand new second hand cranks here in the classifieds for 3-4, I don’t think it’s that bad of a replacement cost after 4 years (considering I’m spending the same amount in bearings and brake pads after just one race 🤣). Definitely a better option in my mind than trying to run after the useless agents hiding behind warranty ts and cs

I was busy riding from Wellington to Paarl, up Du Toits Kloof, then back to  Wellington, then up Bains Kloof pass.  My legs felt so good after Du Toits Kloof, looking forward to do Bains Kloof pass.  Then I was forced to stop.  That sucks😊

6 hours ago, SURFER said:

I was busy riding from Wellington to Paarl, up Du Toits Kloof, then back to  Wellington, then up Bains Kloof pass.  My legs felt so good after Du Toits Kloof, looking forward to do Bains Kloof pass.  Then I was forced to stop.  That sucks😊

If I tried that ride my legs would crack!

1 hour ago, SURFER said:

It seems that I will get a Dura Ace Hollowtech II FC-9000 as a replacement.  

Insurance or warranty?

Was out of  warranty?    At no cost for Dura Ace (only courier cost).  Local BS managed to get this, not sure if from agents.  Will use the DA (since I got it at no cost), if it cracks again, will look for something reliable.

• 3 weeks later...