Bike Rack on Gravel Roads

ChrisO

3 hours ago, ChrisO said:

Thanks for the reply, I completely would have preferred the roof option, but 2 of the 3 bikes are eMTBs which are too heavy at around 24kg's each. Im going to try the drive chain cover and see how iy goes. Thanks!

As much as I prefer the roof rack .... on the RAV4 I needed a 2.step ladder to get the bike high enough to put it on the rack.  At best this was a tricky balancing act .... fun with a 15kg MTB .... I would not want to try that with an ebike !!!

Also ... the roof rack relies heavily on the clamp on the downtube .... I have my reservations about these forces on an ebike's battery.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Living rural this is a reality for me- 8km dirt road to the nearest tar. On the odd occasion I take my bike in for a service(usually DIY) I used to hate rocking up with a dirty bike for a service, to me it is an insult dropping off a dirty bike.

Tailgate pads are better than bike racks if there is mud. Neither are great for dust.

Caravelle/kombi/transporter van is the best bet( just don't let the anti big car thread hear about it) If you re travelling long distances and what not, then a van gets even better, you can secure the bike over night fairly well and not be worrying about losing it off the rack or unloading it into a hotel room each night. 

On 9/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, BikeisLife said:

Until you plant your bike in to a garage, height barrier etc. 

Also, objects flying in the air are a danger then. Stones etc. off the car in fronts wheels. 

Evoc do a bike rack cover specifically for road or mtb. They also allow all straps, arms etc. 

Yep, talking of flying objects ......... the African muggies are hardheaded bastards. They will give your bike a decent "go" 😝

Has anybody used a Velo sock. It was spoken about in another thread and the possibility that it could be a huge air brake. But if you on the dirt and not doing the Ken Block thing (RIP) then this should work.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://velosock.com/&ved=2ahUKEwiH8r6s3ZKBAxXNTaQEHWR0BOkQFnoECA0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2LhORKP9qfsEPBFJNCsXnu.

Seems to be popular amongst the American RV community. 

pokrowiec-na-bagaznik-rowerowy-bike-cover-4-brunner.jpg

carbonblack_1_360x.jpg

Edited by Barry

2 hours ago, Barry said:

Has anybody used a Velo sock. It was spoken about in another thread and the possibility that it could be a huge air brake. But if you on the dirt and not doing the Ken Block thing (RIP) then this should work.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://velosock.com/&ved=2ahUKEwiH8r6s3ZKBAxXNTaQEHWR0BOkQFnoECA0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2LhORKP9qfsEPBFJNCsXnu.

Seems to be popular amongst the American RV community. 

pokrowiec-na-bagaznik-rowerowy-bike-cover-4-brunner.jpg

carbonblack_1_360x.jpg

In many instances our vehicles are narrower than the bike .... this will be a big air brake with the wheels fully covered

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

In many instances our vehicles are narrower than the bike .... this will be a big air brake with the wheels fully covered

Would be nice to have some on the ground test or feedback.  European safety standard is set high. They look cool but do they work who knows.

https://www.facebook.com/velosock

FB_IMG_16939011030801991.jpg

Edited by Barry

On 9/4/2023 at 9:21 AM, Pieterlab1 said:

I've bought custom bike bags from Cycle Africa and their products are excellent and good value for money.

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like a good solution to my problem, just wondering about the wind resistance, my Trance X e+ is longer than my Wrangler is wide. Should be fine though, not too expensive so worth a try. 

On 9/4/2023 at 4:13 PM, dave303e said:

Living rural this is a reality for me- 8km dirt road to the nearest tar. On the odd occasion I take my bike in for a service(usually DIY) I used to hate rocking up with a dirty bike for a service, to me it is an insult dropping off a dirty bike.

Tailgate pads are better than bike racks if there is mud. Neither are great for dust.

Caravelle/kombi/transporter van is the best bet( just don't let the anti big car thread hear about it) If you re travelling long distances and what not, then a van gets even better, you can secure the bike over night fairly well and not be worrying about losing it off the rack or unloading it into a hotel room each night. 

Agreed Dave, a transit van or crew bus would be great for all the outdoor activities. Also, taking a dirty bike in for a service, or going on a ride with a dirty bike, doesn't sit well with me either. So for now, until that crew bus happens, its black bags and masking tape, with a quick wash and DIY job pre-ride.

30 minutes ago, ChrisO said:

Also, taking a dirty bike in for a service, or going on a ride with a dirty bike, doesn't sit well with me either.

You guys clearly don’t ride enough 😂

My LBS washes my bike way more often than I do, for R100 I gladly delegate it to them. Time is a luxury not everyone has…