Cyclist who kneed a five-year-old girl to the floor on Christmas Day for blocking his path successfully

OVERDRIVE

2 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I think the point the Wookie is making is that we are hard wired in such a way that behaviour that egregiously breaks standards of social propiety comandeers our attention. This is the result of hundreds of thousands of generations of natural selection that has selected for behaviours that preserve our capacity to cooperate socially.

Social media presents us with examples of behaviour such as this Muppet on his bike, which threaten the social structure which we then instinctively turn on and attack, even though it has no direct bearing on our lives.

In its evolutionary context this is highly adaptive because it contributes to the survival of a small social group. Our recently developed technological capacities mean that we hear and see and can all but smell incidents like the one under discussion, and the animal we are instinctively devotes a whole bunch of energy to it even though it's materially irrelevant to us.

Evil geniuses at insta etc exploit similarly adaptive behaviours to addict us to their revenue streams. Social comparison amongst teens and so on.

Gives a whole new meaning to "local is lekker".

If the world wide web crew did not have a dip at this guy on the bicycle, then he would have just slummed along in life.

One would hope that following this incident, he will never behave in this manner again. 

So the world is small, and technology has made it small. Not just with social media, but in our daily lives with items we purchase, business we conduct, etc.

Tell the truth, if you saw a guy do this in the street in front of you, I am sure many of us would have also said something. Or, on a more "local" platform like the community newspaper, his behaviour would also be shamed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Hairy said:

If the world wide web crew did not have a dip at this guy on the bicycle, then he would have just slummed along in life.

One would hope that following this incident, he will never behave in this manner again. 

So the world is small, and technology has made it small. Not just with social media, but in our daily lives with items we purchase, business we conduct, etc.

Tell the truth, if you saw a guy do this in the street in front of you, I am sure many of us would have also said something. Or, on a more "local" platform like the community newspaper, his behaviour would also be shamed.

Yes. The point is it WAS dealt with locally, not accepted by the parents, the guy was named and shamed etc but in a way that he could then go after the parents blah blah blah blah 

It happened on a continent far far away and people acted because it involved them.

It does not involve us, yet we are here hacking away engaging in it creating chemicals and reactions in our brain over something that has, in truth, already run it's course (some would say a bit too far).

The fact that it is still eliciting a response from completely unrelated people who will inevitably get worked up over a grammatical error or a misunderstood statement even MORE removed from the story just illustrates the point.

I'm all for chatting bikes and making jokes about stuff, but this sort of thing one would do well to stay away from. No matter how much one denies it, there is SOME level of annoyance or chemical response, which, when added to 50 or 60 others, has a very real effect on the brain

20 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Yes. The point is it WAS dealt with locally, not accepted by the parents, the guy was named and shamed etc but in a way that he could then go after the parents blah blah blah blah 

It happened on a continent far far away and people acted because it involved them.

It does not involve us, yet we are here hacking away engaging in it creating chemicals and reactions in our brain over something that has, in truth, already run it's course (some would say a bit too far).

The fact that it is still eliciting a response from completely unrelated people who will inevitably get worked up over a grammatical error or a misunderstood statement even MORE removed from the story just illustrates the point.

I'm all for chatting bikes and making jokes about stuff, but this sort of thing one would do well to stay away from. No matter how much one denies it, there is SOME level of annoyance or chemical response, which, when added to 50 or 60 others, has a very real effect on the brain

Thanks for this Jewbs... well articulated and oh-so-welcome

26 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I again would say that it is good that it creates awareness around issues like this.

It has also taught (many people now clearly) that you can get away with bullying a 5 year old, but be damned if you post that bully on social media, then you are going to pay "bigly" for defaming a bully.

We are influenced by international news, be it both good news and bad news. Like I said before, the world is small.

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I again would say that it is good that it creates awareness around issues like this.

It has also taught (many people now clearly) that you can get away with bullying a 5 year old, but be damned if you post that bully on social media, then you are going to pay "bigly" for defaming a bully.

We are influenced by international news, be it both good news and bad news. Like I said before, the world is small.

I don't see the same thing as you on this.

If it was a school comprehension we would have very different answers 😜

I do my best NOT to be influenced by news and stories that have little to no effect on my daily life. 

The outrage and the sensationalism makes me despair and gets me bummed out. I prefer to check the surf forecast and plan my day around that

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

Moered actually 

51 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I do my best NOT to be influenced by news and stories that have little to no effect on my daily life. 

The outrage and the sensationalism makes me despair and gets me bummed out. I prefer to check the surf forecast and plan my day around that

Looks pretty flat today. So I’ll have to make work exciting today

9 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I find it hilarious when the folks with some of the highest post-count in a thread bemoan people participating in a thread.

image.png.af662f745015d32b84d29cd65eccba1a.png

That might be a bit harsh and I’ll share why.

on the one hand we have an incident that happens thousands of Km away where nothing we say or do will influence the outcome for of any of the people participating  in the incident. Yet we have signalled our virtue. It hasn’t changed the cyclists behaviour or the parents loss since they are now being sued. 
we life in a non virtuous world. 
mat the same time we can all identify with the emotions the parents felt and are feeling since South Africans are more connected to injustice than perhaps most other countries citizens and look for opportunities to vent that frustration.

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

That might be a bit harsh and I’ll share why.

on the one hand we have an incident that happens thousands of Km away where nothing we say or do will influence the outcome for of any of the people participating  in the incident. Yet we have signalled our virtue. It hasn’t changed the cyclists behaviour or the parents loss since they are now being sued. 
we life in a non virtuous world. 
mat the same time we can all identify with the emotions the parents felt and are feeling since South Africans are more connected to injustice than perhaps most other countries citizens and look for opportunities to vent that frustration.

I fully get your point, and I agree. I was replying more to the kind folks who feel that you aren't entitled to your opinion, but in the same breath make a rather large fuss about how your being triggered is triggering them. I suppose my replies are not helping either. So in a strange kind of way I am painting myself with my own brush. Maybe I just long for the Bikehub of ages past where people weren't so sensitive to words.

12 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I fully get your point, and I agree. I was replying more to the kind folks who feel that you aren't entitled to your opinion, but in the same breath make a rather large fuss about how your being triggered is triggering them. I suppose my replies are not helping either. So in a strange kind of way I am painting myself with my own brush. Maybe I just long for the Bikehub of ages past where people weren't so sensitive to words.

oh I’m not sure bike hub was ever insensitive to words….

but at the end of the day a message board is for conversation and explorations of ideas and emotions around everything from cycling morals to different practices , much like religion actually and therefore someone will always be offended.

shrug it off and keep it real I say 

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Plan for the day is to trade your road bike in for a Kayak. 😂

Someone did a wrong, and the wronged party reacted with their own wrong.
The court decided the second wrong equals the first (if he reacted with violence as so many suggest the court would have decided his reaction is outsized and punished him very harshly).
A second court then found the second wrong actually outsized the first wrong and now instructed a third court to determine the true size of the second wrong. Seems pretty standard boring legal stuff to me...

5 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I find it hilarious when the folks with some of the highest post-count in a thread bemoan people participating in a thread.

image.png.af662f745015d32b84d29cd65eccba1a.png

One can include oneself in ones own berating. 

I know I certainly wish I hadn't clicked on the thread to begin with but i did and here I am. sigh