attack on N1 at woodstock bridge Cape Town

Hurricane bikes

Be carefull if you cycle to town ,my friend and I got attacked saturday (09.09.2023) @ 6h45 on the N1 close to the woodstock turn off, two black guys jumped out the bushes . We manage to get my friends bike back as a COCT van stopped & chased after them, my friend made hard contact with the tar ,braking his helmet. They even tried to rob him from his phone tearing off his windbraker.It was brought under my atention 4 other people got attacked the last two weeks at the same spot on both directions,please beware

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Jbr said:

**** so we basically can't cycle to town anymore now...

Bigger groups? By bigger groups I mean +- 12 cyclists

28 minutes ago, Hurricane bikes said:

Be carefull if you cycle to town ,my friend and I got attacked saturday (09.09.2023) @ 6h45 on the N1 close to the woodstock turn off, two black guys jumped out the bushes . We manage to get my friends bike back as a COCT van stopped & chased after them, my friend made hard contact with the tar ,braking his helmet. They even tried to rob him from his phone tearing off his windbraker.It was brought under my atention 4 other people got attacked the last two weeks at the same spot on both directions,please beware

Sorry to hear that. I hope your friend makes a full recovery from any injuries sustained.

4 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Bigger groups? By bigger groups I mean +- 12 cyclists

not an option for me, I do 90% of my rides alone, and most of the time when I do meet people it's after that new hotspot  :s

Groups also get attacked, they hit the last rider ,by the time the last rider goes down the group opened up a gap of 200m plus,then its to late,these guys act fast ,they are fearless, I have mailed JP Smith & the mayor, to cut those trees down & to clean up those vagrants living there

7 minutes ago, Hurricane bikes said:

Groups also get attacked, they hit the last rider ,by the time the last rider goes down the group opened up a gap of 200m plus,then its to late,these guys act fast ,they are fearless, I have mailed JP Smith & the mayor, to cut those trees down & to clean up those vagrants living there

The lengths they're willing to go to nowadays. Thanks for the additional information. One of the reasons I sold my road bike and only cycle on my mountain bike at certain trails.

1 minute ago, Hurricane bikes said:

Dappere, we were on our mtb saturday, these thugs dont care what bike you are on ,easy money for them as we are aesy targets for them

I do understand that. I didn't provide enough context in my previous message. When I mentioned I only cycle on my mountain bike on certain trails, I meant I only ride at trails like Jonkershoek, Banhoek, Tygerberg, etc., where I drive to and cycle and then drive home. I'm trying to minimise my time spent on the road.

I noticed that where I almost got attacked once (under the bridge when you exit town toward the n1), there's now often a marshal with a paint ball gun. Maybe they should put some on the cycle path, then we wouldn't have to use the N1 to go to town...

Edited by Jbr

Shucks! Sorry to hear that OP. Very worrying that this route is also compromised now. 
I'd like to back-up your mail with my own, kindly provide the contact details of your mail recipients. 

There is, unseen to the eyes from the N1, an entire informal settlement mushrooming here.  If you ever dare to ride on the bus lane into town you would not believe the size of this informal settlement.  And it is visibly growing by the week (waiting for the 1st coffee shop to open 🤪). 

Everything has been torn down on the bus lane or bike path side.  There are no lights, no secure fence, no CCTV, the trees are dying, because of fires, mostly to get copper from the wires and off course for food, water etc. (one can smell it the burning wires).

The water is leaking out all over the place as the fittings are broken off.  In some places they now are starting to take the pavers out, can you believe.  And it has also become a general dumping ground. 

All the above is happening in front of the police and traffic department that is on the bus lane at all hours.

I know there are reasons and obstacles but because of this settlement growing at the speed it is, it will soon be big enough to create much more havoc on the N1.  Cutting back one or two trees (they will soon be cut for firewood anyway) will not fix your problem. 

The mayor and the PM have got bigger problems (even if they cared, which I am convinced they do not), and this decaying asset that the city has spend millions on will soon be nothing.  Sad but true story…

It is really unbelievable...

To make matters worse, in the CCT Cycling Strategy dated 2017, there's already mention of this problem. 

Security is a major concern for existing and potential cyclists and is detracting from the growth of utility and recreational cycling in Cape Town. Concerns regarding security take many forms including attacks, harassment and the degradation of cycle routes e.g. use of the R27 cycle route has been compromised due to security. 

Can we not start a petition of sorts to garner the attention this matter deserves? It's vital that this piece of road(s) stay accessible to us, as it's often the only means to link riders from different parts of the city. 

CCT_Cycling_Strategy.pdf

10 minutes ago, Master P said:

To make matters worse, in the CCT Cycling Strategy dated 2017, there's already mention of this problem. 

Security is a major concern for existing and potential cyclists and is detracting from the growth of utility and recreational cycling in Cape Town. Concerns regarding security take many forms including attacks, harassment and the degradation of cycle routes e.g. use of the R27 cycle route has been compromised due to security. 

Can we not start a petition of sorts to garner the attention this matter deserves? It's vital that this piece of road(s) stay accessible to us, as it's often the only means to link riders from different parts of the city. 

CCT_Cycling_Strategy.pdf 1.39 MB · 0 downloads

Lots already highlighted from 2017

2 hours ago, Hurricane bikes said:

Jheeez, glad that all are ok and thank you for the heads up...only ridden that route twice and both times it was dodgy AF....