attack on N1 at woodstock bridge Cape Town

Hurricane bikes

It's literally as if the City/Government does not care, as this has been ongoing and now worsening for years. So sad.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for letting us know. I thought we might be safe on that stretch because they would be stepping out onto the main road.

It really does seem like the topic has been avoided for many years now. But, maybe we get lucky this time as it's the elections next year... 

The city has documented some of the concerns in the Local Spatial Development Framework (LSDF) for Woodstock/ Salt River and even go on to mention: Redesign Albert Rd cycling lane to provide a physical barrier to prevent cars from parking or driving in the cycle lane. Link the redesigned Albert Rd cycling lane to the CBD and Melkbos cycling highway that goes to Civic Centre. 

Wishful thinking...

If you wish to leave a comment about the cycle lane, here is the link: https://www.capetown.gov.za/_layouts/15/WebFeedback.SharePoint/webfeedback.aspx?id=dca68f92-72d4-449f-a211-29c4b4cef27d 

Comments opened yesterday and closes in November:  https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Have-your-say/Issues-open-for-public-comment/woodstock-salt-river-and-surrounds-lsdf

Woodstock_Saltriver_LSDF_Draft.pdf

On 9/11/2023 at 9:37 AM, Hurricane bikes said:

Groups also get attacked, they hit the last rider ,by the time the last rider goes down the group opened up a gap of 200m plus,then its to late,these guys act fast ,they are fearless, I have mailed JP Smith & the mayor, to cut those trees down & to clean up those vagrants living there

Which trees exactly?

I have spoken to a colleague who covers said area for Recreation and Parks and will get trees pruned/removed immedailty if there is a risk being posed.

5 minutes ago, babse said:

Which trees exactly?

I have spoken to a colleague who covers said area for Recreation and Parks and will get trees pruned/removed immedailty if there is a risk being posed.

Coming from Marine Drive, one takes an off-ramp onto the N1 towards town. It's the section from the off-ramp (WOMAG) to the next on-ramp (Lower Church St). Trees all along the left hand side. 

On 9/11/2023 at 9:56 AM, Dappere said:

I do understand that. I didn't provide enough context in my previous message. When I mentioned I only cycle on my mountain bike on certain trails, I meant I only ride at trails like Jonkershoek, Banhoek, Tygerberg, etc., where I drive to and cycle and then drive home. I'm trying to minimise my time spent on the road.

Same. I don't pedal on tar anymore either. I drive to the trail head, pay and ride, drive home after. Also on the trails you mentioned.

40 minutes ago, babse said:

Which trees exactly?

I have personally pruned a few branches hanging over the cycle lane with this before :P

s-zoom.file

Happened to a colleague of mine 2 weeks ago.

Exact same spot.

He’s been cycling to work for the past 5 years.

Ended up with a fractured hip.

I haven’t cycled Town way for over a year.Head over west coast side.

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

Forwarded! 

He has a team out for tree proning and removals. So let's see 🤞

The africampers though... not sure how Social development is dealing with this current spree. Under bridge night shelters hasn't stopped much.

21 hours ago, Master P said:

It really does seem like the topic has been avoided for many years now. But, maybe we get lucky this time as it's the elections next year... 

The city has documented some of the concerns in the Local Spatial Development Framework (LSDF) for Woodstock/ Salt River and even go on to mention: Redesign Albert Rd cycling lane to provide a physical barrier to prevent cars from parking or driving in the cycle lane. Link the redesigned Albert Rd cycling lane to the CBD and Melkbos cycling highway that goes to Civic Centre. 

Wishful thinking...

If you wish to leave a comment about the cycle lane, here is the link: https://www.capetown.gov.za/_layouts/15/WebFeedback.SharePoint/webfeedback.aspx?id=dca68f92-72d4-449f-a211-29c4b4cef27d 

Comments opened yesterday and closes in November:  https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Have-your-say/Issues-open-for-public-comment/woodstock-salt-river-and-surrounds-lsdf

Woodstock_Saltriver_LSDF_Draft.pdf 14.89 MB · 1 download

This is the problem with us middle class. We live in hope while solving our own problems but also paying tax to solve those problems. It’s a really bad hedge.

we put people in government who target us for their income and make us criminals if we don’t comply but the poor get off Scott free and can do as they please.

we write beautiful letters for applause but gets no traction on the frictionless surface of government corruption.

we need to play a game that they understand 

Was on the cycle path again this morning, and I kid you not.  It was swarming with traffic department cars and officers.  Must have counted 6 cars going into town and 7 or more coming out.  Most if not, all parked at the Woodstock MyCiti bus station. 

I did not really feel safer though as they were all chatting away, checking their cell phones, or just sitting in the car.  Everyone greeted me friendly, as they always do 🙂  

Keep in mind that this was around peak time for traffic (plus minus), and all these resources were on the bus lane, just sitting, waiting, checking...

And, if you were wondering, the settlement is larger, and most definitely more fencing has disappeared.  The water is still flowing (mind blowing), and the dumping has escalated tenfold.

5 minutes ago, Johan A Marais said:

Was on the cycle path again this morning, and I kid you not.  It was swarming with traffic department cars and officers.  Must have counted 6 cars going into town and 7 or more coming out.  Most if not, all parked at the Woodstock MyCiti bus station. 

I did not really feel safer though as they were all chatting away, checking their cell phones, or just sitting in the car.  Everyone greeted me friendly, as they always do 🙂  

Keep in mind that this was around peak time for traffic (plus minus), and all these resources were on the bus lane, just sitting, waiting, checking...

And, if you were wondering, the settlement is larger, and most definitely more fencing has disappeared.  The water is still flowing (mind blowing), and the dumping has escalated tenfold.

Great to hear that there is some sort of presence on the bike and bus lane, but it seems that has just pushed the bikejackers onto the N1.

Is it not one of those cases where the squatters are on Transnet/National Government property so the City / Provincial government are limited to what they can actually do with the squatters.

On 9/12/2023 at 2:40 PM, Master P said:

Wishful thinking...

Woodstock_Saltriver_LSDF_Draft.pdf 14.89 MB · 1 download

thanks for the link - I reported the problems on the CoCT link, for what it is worth.

Cheers, Chris