Greeting fellow bicyclers (bikers)

Jean-Pierre Buys

Being a biker for many years, we have the tradition to greet and respect each other on contact. I see that bicyclers (if you allow the terminology) - especially the i shaped type with all the gear and kit refrain from greeting their fellow bicyclers after a friendly gesture from their fellow "bicycler". Is this a bicycle riding standard or am I missing something? I found that the commuters smile and greet back at all times.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I have to say most cyclist I greet greet back. Maybe it's you 😜 joking aside there's always those who will not greet (usually on a Spez 🤣) but don't let it change you. 

Must be the 125 kg's on 23 tyres ;) I always wanted a Spez

Same with motorbikes. Crotch rocket dudes won't greet the stof donkies and don't get me started on the cruiser guys. Don't sweat the small things in life. Enjoy your ride and you do you and let them be.

2 hours ago, Jean-Pierre Buys said:

Being a biker for many years, we have the tradition to greet and respect each other on contact. I see that bicyclers (if you allow the terminology) - especially the i shaped type with all the gear and kit refrain from greeting their fellow bicyclers after a friendly gesture from their fellow "bicycler". Is this a bicycle riding standard or am I missing something? I found that the commuters smile and greet back at all times.  

Ya I wondered the same but most people are just w****rs that aren't interested in greeting, but you get some lekker dudes ! 

Have met some awesome people cycling, complete strangers and have had fat chats so, there just are a few going through some stuff (sometimes people that aren't greeting are had to deal with some bad news or are struggling with kid/parent/sibling/work issues...) or having bad days or just, yeah. 

Best advice would be, don't take it to personally ♡  but some are ass...ls 😆 

Sometimes I'm just deep in thought or in a trance or in the dark place and just don't see you.

But most of the time I'll say hello or wave or give the tilt of the head or the curt nod. 

If you close pass me in your Fortuner or your cayenne or your Audi I'll give you a one fingered salute.

If you drop me on that last kicker after the Llandudno robots after I've towed you from camps bay, I'll tell myself a story about that unless you're on a mountain bike in which case I'll just bow to the superior man.

This is promoted, on signboards, by the folks that manage the trails and routes. People follow these suggestions to the T. In Saffer land we have no idea about courtesy regardless of what bike we ride

20230917_115528.jpg.bf17212ae6f6aa2fe009180e19186fe2.jpg

Edited by 117
spelling - the chaps in the east will be happier now

Yes, I've also been cycling for many years and its only common decency to greet your fellow warrior on the road. I greet every time, even if I don't get a reply, but if you carry on greeting usually , I found, in new areas I ride, you start a new trend and that's what its all about. Common guys at the end of the day, its our sport, lets be happy and enjoy the road and the company.

Look, while out on my MTB I tend to always greet, and when passing on the road as well. I'll even greet the person on the other side of the road with a taxi and a red bus between us for what it's worth.

So at the risk of sounding like a boks to some of you, I think having an expectation that other people greet back is probably not fair. Who decides what is common decency / good manners? Perhaps someone is deep in thought processing the week's work drama (I sure do that sometimes). Perhaps someone is outside, tired of people, and wants a break from social expectations? Maybe the person has had a screaming / demanding baby in their ear for the last 7 hours and just wants some peace and quiet for a while in nature? Could it maybe not be "bad manners" to interrupt that?

So my opinion is go ahead, be your friendly self, but as soon as you start getting annoyed by people who might not feel the same as you about things (and whose lack of response certainly has no negative effect), then that's on you, not them.

12 hours ago, WaynejG said:

Same with motorbikes. Crotch rocket dudes won't greet the stof donkies and don't get me started on the cruiser guys. Don't sweat the small things in life. Enjoy your ride and you do you and let them be.

"Don't sweat the small things in life." End of the thread .

I no longer worry about if someone greets or not, like one of the other posters further up, sometimes I dont greet either because I'm either lost in thought, trying to see through the sweat in my eyes, or simply did not see you.

When I do get slightly agitated is when someone passes me (normally its very closely) and does not bother to say anything. We are in each others personal space here man, just a "howzit" or something as you brush past me would be nice.

What I'm trying to learn to do, is when approaching someone from behind, is to greet them way before I get close, I've found people often almost jump off their bikes if you greet them only when you're next to them.

It's not just cyclists...

I'm about to do the semigration thing to Cape Town. I plan to start a FB group called "Walkers on the Prom that say Hello". I expect to be alone on my group...😂