Anything from Cool Heat

Eugene

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Cyclewizz said:

The problem has been there for a long time but Shimano just decided to ignore it - until now
Because they were forced to sort it out now !!

Correct

6 hours ago, Vishal72 said:

They will most likely replace with 12 speed cranks fitted with 11 speed chainrings if no stock is available

And I believe it will be your old used 11 speed chainrings, as they will only replace the arm? 

Wonder if they will replace both arms (drive and non-drive side) if only one is defected.

11 speed rings on the new 12 speed arm will already look 😐, so mismatch arms will be a minor...safety first 👀

On 9/25/2023 at 8:50 AM, Cyclewizz said:

The problem has been there for a long time but Shimano just decided to ignore it - until now
Because they were forced to sort it out now !!

Forced by some US consumer watch dog. Forced! Boggles the mind that it comes to this before action is taken and there’s still Going to be weasling and squirming 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

Forced by some US consumer watch dog. Forced! Boggles the mind that it comes to this before action is taken and there’s still Going to be weasling and squirming 

I saw the Hambini video on this. The way these things were made seems like asking for trouble. I presume something like an SLX hollowtech crank from 2013 will have no such issues?

23 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I saw the Hambini video on this. The way these things were made seems like asking for trouble. I presume something like an SLX hollowtech crank from 2013 will have no such issues?

It shouldn’t  but if it is hollow tech is is possible to fail. There has been cases of xt and XTR cranks failing 

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

this one? looks entertaining

Hi Guys, Hope you are all well?

As someone who works in a bike shop and uses cool heat as a supplier, as well as make use of their B2B portal, I can confirm that they have in fact put out a notice of this recall/Issue... they are aware of it 

Cheers, :) 

1 hour ago, jd3 said:

Hi Guys, Hope you are all well?

As someone who works in a bike shop and uses cool heat as a supplier, as well as make use of their B2B portal, I can confirm that they have in fact put out a notice of this recall/Issue... they are aware of it 

Cheers, :) 

good to know!

Pretty shocking that this issue is over a decade old and now they making a fuss. It’s not a full recall as they are not offering replacements. It requires failure first so not sure how they gong to handle this one in the US were a class action law suit can be filed. Many customers were not offered a full replacement for years under the so called warranty so they will now of course come forward and push that button. But really what you expect from Shitmano, there are still plenty Campag cranks spinning over with the no issues…30 years later. Italians must be laughing their heads off. In my personal opinion if Shitmano cared this should have been resolved 10 years ago, who still has the proof of purchase? Well played, well played. Expect a wonderful migration in 2024 and beyond. They truly deserve a proper backlash ive this one. Especially when you hear of the horrific accidents this has caused over the years. Some people can never ride again, this is proper serious ****! Now let’s see if they take another ten years to address leaking hydraulic breaks, here lies another can of worms!

Do we have any idea of the percentages involved here ?

Material fatigue of a light weight design vs a crap design ?   Certainly a LOT of lightweight components suffer material fatique ....

Would be nice to have more facts before the torches and pitchforks comes out in full forces ....