Di2 charger not supplied with second hand bike purchase

cathmtb

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

All y'all luddites with your 'go back to cable' jibes .... Skud maar net jy kop 😝

IMHO once you've ridden road electronic you'd be doff too think cable is better ... That cool look, crispy shifting, the sound of that servo 😎

mmmeh... I removed XTR to put GX AXS on my MTB, then moved it over to my gravel bike and put XTR back to my MTB, and it is an absolute pleasure to ride the XTR too. It really depends how well the thing is setup, both can be great. Just the argument of saying that electronic is **** because you have to charge it is stupid, because you have to charge it every million years (yet okay some people seem to still forget to do so), but once you snap a cable in your mechanical groupset you are even more ****** having to ride on your 11T cog the whole way home, and that has happend to me probably  as many times as running out of battery on an electronic groupset (which is maybe a couple of times) 

Edited by Jbr

22 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I think this is nuts from both parties.

Buyer: It is Di2, do you have the charger?

Seller: No

Buyer: Oh, that is strange, can i please have the charger or can you knock something off the price, the bike is useless without it.

You missed the part where the seller never said the charger wasn't included and the buyer never asked either because he (righfully) assumed that when you sell a bike with Di2, the bike comes with the full Di2 group

10 minutes ago, Jbr said:

mmmeh... I removed XTR to put GX AXS on my MTB, then moved it over to my gravel bike and put XTR back to my MTB, and it is an absolute pleasure to ride the XTR too. It really depends how well the thing is setup, both a great. Just the argument of saying that electronic is **** because you have to charge it is stupid, because you have to charge it every million years (yet okay some people seem to still forget to do so), but once you snap a cable in your mechanical groupset you are even more ****** having to ride on your 11T cog the whole way home, and that has happend to me probably  as many times as running out of battery on an electronic groupset (which is maybe a couple of times) 

True ... I have a 'few' bikes and only 2 of them have Di2, both road bikes

It's not like the rest are crap to be honest they all work, for me personally I just like the clean look and of course that servo sound 🥸

22 minutes ago, Jbr said:

mmmeh... I removed XTR to put GX AXS on my MTB, then moved it over to my gravel bike and put XTR back to my MTB, and it is an absolute pleasure to ride the XTR too. It really depends how well the thing is setup, both can be great. Just the argument of saying that electronic is **** because you have to charge it is stupid, because you have to charge it every million years (yet okay some people seem to still forget to do so), but once you snap a cable in your mechanical groupset you are even more ****** having to ride on your 11T cog the whole way home, and that has happend to me probably  as many times as running out of battery on an electronic groupset (which is maybe a couple of times) 

Meh multi tool and 5 mins with the b and limits will have you in the middle of the cassette 

13 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Meh multi tool and 5 mins with the b and limits will have you in the middle of the cassette 

mmmh maybe, haven't thought of that actually, I'll remember it next time it happens ;)

that's one of the major downsides of electronic shifting though, the fact that you have no manual override when it dies. On sram you can always find a way to go home when on a 2x because you can swap the batteries between derailleurs, swap the shifters assignments with your phone, but on Di2 it's very annoying, especially since the front derailleur dies first, once you're stuck on the small blade, there's no way around it

14 minutes ago, Jbr said:

mmmh maybe, haven't thought of that actually, I'll remember it next time it happens ;)

that's one of the major downsides of electronic shifting though, the fact that you have no manual override when it dies. On sram you can always find a way to go home when on a 2x because you can swap the batteries between derailleurs, swap the shifters assignments with your phone, but on Di2 it's very annoying, especially since the front derailleur dies first, once you're stuck on the small blade, there's no way around it

I've always loved single speeding 

but often the tensioners don't work great or on a dualie then i take an old zee shortcage derailer and make the rolls royce of tensioners 

its not super easy and i guess i say that cause i've got tons of years of working on bikes but to manipulate the derailer to stay in one place is fairly painless to do 

Had the same via Buycycle platform.

Tarmac sl7 with dura ace di2 powermeter.

Missing was the charger and frame magnet for power meter. Not expensive but essential. 

Contact to seller was via the platform first but without any discussion the guy sent the charger express and i could order the magnet set and got it refunded. 

Also a little superficial lack damage from Transport i agreed on a 300€ refund. 

Some unnecessary anger moments but solved well!

I think highly dependent on the sellers personality. 

I think it should be included if not stated differently!

On 10/11/2023 at 11:15 AM, Jewbacca said:

hahahaha

I think this is nuts from both parties.

Buyer: It is Di2, do you have the charger?

Seller: No

Buyer: Oh, that is strange, can i please have the charger or can you knock something off the price, the bike is useless without it.

Seller: errrrrrrrr 

Buyer: errrrrrrrr

I am not laying blame, but the whole interaction is strange.

It comes down to KNOWING WHAT YOU'RE BUYING AND SELLING

So much of this sort of disappointment is avoided by knowing what is changing hands and drawing lines in the sand as to what expectations are from both sides.

On another note, I rented an apartment out to friends of friends. I actually met them at the wedding of said friends. They brought a cat without telling me, which proceeded to destroy a couch and some dining room chairs. 

They hid the damage and left. 

I discovered it, got hold of them, they blocked me. I approached the friends with a 'yoh, these people....' and was shut down with a 'It's not our problem, we don't want to be involved'

These situations are always tricky and best dealt with outside of the mutual party.

Good luck OP

Your friends have friends who take their cat on holiday?!

On 10/11/2023 at 6:54 AM, Shebeen said:

What happened to the actual charger?

Seller needed one to ride bike, either she has two bikes and one charger, broke/lost charger or it's a stolen bike.

Seems the bike was either was stolen or belonged to her ex.

Was it sold at a discount?

(And if you buying a car, check if it comes with the spare keys)

6 hours ago, Jbr said:

You missed the part where the seller never said the charger wasn't included and the buyer never asked either because he (righfully) assumed that when you sell a bike with Di2, the bike comes with the full Di2 group

Who collected the bike? 

I probably brushed over this while wondering how someone accepts the handover of the bike without integral bits.

Sorry

59 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Who collected the bike? 

I probably brushed over this while wondering how someone accepts the handover of the bike without integral bits.

Sorry

OP states they weren’t able to view the bike but took the risk as friends knew the seller.. then says bike arrived so I’m going as far as saying it was shipped to the buyer.. who then discovered no charger..🤙🏻

5 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

OP states they weren’t able to view the bike but took the risk as friends knew the seller.. then says bike arrived so I’m going as far as saying it was shipped to the buyer.. who then discovered no charger..🤙🏻

Ah... then the seller is a knob and I would tell the friends that their friend is a total asshat

3 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Ah... then the seller is a knob and I would tell the friends that their friend is a total asshat

A TOTAL ASSHAT.! 😃🤣🤣