Cleaning sealant off rims and tyres

lechatnoir

My gravel bike, Peaches, has been sitting idle for far too long and the tyres are flat. I decided to clean the up and the mess inside the tyre is unholy. It's stickier than the stickiest thing. I think it's Enduro Seal, but not sure. I know it's not Stans

How can I best clean it all out? No solvent seems to help; soapy water just gets everything wet and wiping it just softens it and moves it around. I'm at my wits end and considering just using fire. Lots of it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful removing old sealant from inside your tires - You will open every puncture hole it ever got and struggle to get them closed again. I did this on 2 MTB tires, when i remounted and pumped them they looked like a STANS shower and refused to seal. I ended up binning them for new tires.

13 minutes ago, madmarc said:

Be careful removing old sealant from inside your tires - You will open every puncture hole it ever got and struggle to get them closed again. I did this on 2 MTB tires, when i remounted and pumped them they looked like a STANS shower and refused to seal. I ended up binning them for new tires.

In theory, the only time you should clean out the inside of your tire is if you are changing brand of sealant. 

Mainly if you are moving from Ammonia based to Ammonia free sealant. Prevents the old sealant from causing a reaction with the new stuff, shortening its lifespan

A high pressure hose cleans the inside of tires in a heartbeat

Rims I remove the tape and wipe thoroughly with Acetone. 

As mentioned above, you may have a few leaks where the sealant has done it's job, but the sealant should just do it's job again

I usually put a bit extra in for first seating of new tires or cleaned/re-done tape and tubeless

Thanks all. at this stage is the reverse of the old Pritt advert - it's the good without the glue... 

I'll try the acetone option, redo the rim tape and hold thumbs.

Cor, what a revelation this is! If only it had popped up before I chucked out all those tyres, post a failed cleaning mission.Every attempt begins with me brimming with British bulldog spirit, but by the time I'm halfway through the first one, I find myself in a right pickle. The sealant clings on like a stubborn limpet, and there I am, questioning my life choices, feeling as deflated as the tyre itself, and longing for a pint to soothe my frayed nerves.

6 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Cor, what a revelation this is! If only it had popped up before I chucked out all those tyres, post a failed cleaning mission.Every attempt begins with me brimming with British bulldog spirit, but by the time I'm halfway through the first one, I find myself in a right pickle. The sealant clings on like a stubborn limpet, and there I am, questioning my life choices, feeling as deflated as the tyre itself, and longing for a pint to soothe my frayed nerves.

School fees ....

Careful where you use the high pressure jet ...

Those small rubber pellets STICK where it lands ....

1 hour ago, lechatnoir said:

How can I best clean it all out? No solvent seems to help; soapy water just gets everything wet and wiping it just softens it and moves it around. I'm at my wits end and considering just using fire. Lots of it.

Would also recommend acetone.

It is highly flammable.

Firstly, don’t do any cowboy mechanic tricks with a HP. Seriously….

if you get one of Those hard erasers you just turn tires inside out and start rubbing, the heat should assist with breaking up sealant. Why waste water and put unnecessary pressure on casing. IMHO.

I'm liking the above drill method. I use Enduroseal and gave albeit with some elbow grease used Benzine but it's dangerous stuff and apparently bad for your liver through skin contact.

9 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

My gravel bike, Peaches, has been sitting idle for far too long and the tyres are flat. I decided to clean the up and the mess inside the tyre is unholy. It's stickier than the stickiest thing. I think it's Enduro Seal, but not sure. I know it's not Stans

If you don't ride that bike a lot then tubes is better.