What are your favorite routes (gravel/road) around Cape Town?

24 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Sold, what's the best argument to convince a wife to go there with 2 kids ? :D

It really shouldn't be hard. Every time we go to Greyton my wife ends up at the real estate agent looking for houses there.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Jbr said:

If you like being alive, it's probably a good idea to exclude that between mid november to end of jan :(

Why ?

Due to the heat I did not do the Franschhoek route during December, not on the bike.

Cycled it late November, and the cars are very considerate to the bikes on this pass, and nice wide shoulders to and from Franschhoek.

Did drive the pass in the car during the holidays, many cyclists, and no issues.

Bainskloof is just too far for a ride .... have been thinking of driving halfway and then cycling the pass.  Each time we drive over there we see so many cyclists, and it seems cars give them plenty of space.

22 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

It really shouldn't be hard. Every time we go to Greyton my wife ends up at the real estate agent looking for houses there.

We have been visiting Greyton every so often over the last 24 years.

It has changed a LOT in this time !!

From a one horse town with 2 or 3 restuarants for a breakfast run to a BUSY artist town.  LOTS to do for the ladies that dont want to cycle.

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Why ?

Due to the heat I did not do the Franschhoek route during December, not on the bike.

My comment was about peninsula rides, lots of idiots turning around in blind corners to take photos (or Ubers to drop tourists on a hiking spot, I almost hugged a car like that on my way down from the cable car in that upper hairpin..), then pulling out of wherever they parked withtout checking first, or angry people hooting and swearing at you for riding abreast even if both riders are left side of the yellow line.... Should I mention the usual pedestrian looking your way but still proceeding to jump off the pavement on the road right in front of you ? Nah that's not a summer thing, that all year long !

Edited by Jbr

20 hours ago, Mamil said:

Never had a problem in 7 or 8 trips that way. Friendly locals through kalbaskraal and Chatsworth. 

That having been said, I seldom feel 100 percent comfortable and safe anywhere on the roads. 

30 December I stopped between Malmesbury and Kalbaskraal, for a snack on a long ride.

I was barely of the bike when a farmer stopped next to me .... He invited me up to the house for a cold one ....

I have cut a tyre on that road, on a broken cat-eye.  I have been stung by a bee on my head (bee got caught in my helmet vents).  But I just love that section of road.

54 minutes ago, Jbr said:

there is an awesome saturday morning market, lots of silly boutiques, nice coffee shops...etc...bring your MTB as well!!

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

My comment was about peninsula rides, lots of idiots turning around in blind corners to take photos (or Ubers to drop tourists on a hiking spot, I almost hugged a car like that on my way down from the cable car in that upper hairpin..), then pulling out of wherever they parked withtout checking first, or angry people hooting and swearing at you for riding abreast even if both riders are left side of the yellow line.... Should I mention the usual pedestrian looking your way but still proceeding to jump off the pavement on the road right in front of you ? Nah that's not a summer thing, that all year long !

So just the normal "hurdles" of a road ride .... 😛

THIS is probably THEE best reason for doing the CTCT .... apart from 24 000 newbies, the road is safe from cars, walkers, joggers, dogs, etc .....

Jokes aside .... it is surprising to see the difference in how cars behave to cyclists between the typical Cape routes vs Franschhoek 👍

On 1/21/2024 at 4:17 PM, Johannes Treitz said:

Hi,

been to SA couple times, mostly CT, surrounding areas, Stellenbosch, Garden Route.

This year, I want to bring my gravel bike. I'm wondering which routes around CT are most enjoyable so I can pick my accommodation accordingly. I ride a mix of gravel and tar, up to 100km/day and like to stop every once in a while to have a good coffee / glas of wine / meet other cyclists.

Open to switch to Stellenbosch area if that makes more sense.

Thanks for your suggestions!

JT

if you have a MTB, I'd bring that rather.

your best location for a gravel/wine experience is not going to be CT/Stellenbosch. I'd go for paarl or a stanford+greyton+robertson

edit: if you're into beer, we did this! https://bicyclesouth.co.za/2022/01/beerpacking-the-overberg/

Edited by Shebeen

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

Book accommodation at the Post House Inn...

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

@Jbrhave you persuaded the mother of your children that Prince Albert is a brilliant place to go for a weekend away?

no, I'm planning on going on my own for that one ;)

19 hours ago, Baracuda said:

Can one actually ride that road? I have been told that large sections are closed to the public?

Cycle, yes. Drive, no. It's a rail service road, so Transnet and only people who live along there are permitted. Not that a sign stating that is very effective. 

As it's a rail service road, the grades are non-existent, but the surface varies from pristine to shocking

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

@Jbrhave you persuaded the mother of your children that Prince Albert is a brilliant place to go for a weekend away?

I sent you a DM..... Have you offloaded that entry?

38 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I sent you a DM..... Have you offloaded that entry?

Message sent