What are your favorite routes (gravel/road) around Cape Town?

Here's a nice ride from Melkbos - some tar but a lot of gravel too

Straight up on Tar with a wide shouder to botterberg, over botterberg then old malmesbury road, turn left at Kalbaskraal and jump onto the railway line service road and follow that to Darling. Have a sandwich at Tannie Evita's. From there there are gravel option to head further into the swartland, Malmesbury, Riebeeck kasteel, or return via Papenskuil road, to Mamre - from Mamre can be a bit dodge from a "What's this cyclist doing here" point of view, through Atlantis, back to Melkbos.

Another nice option that @lechatnoirand I did the other weekend is drive Malmesbury, park there and head out on a loop that heads South to Joubertskloof road and then hooks up after 12km of tar with Haaskraal road, coffee at Hermon and then Riebeek kasteel and Wes and back to Malmesbury on Klawervlei road. Gives about 121 odd, most of it on gravel.

There are also options to go further - Moreesburg, Hopefield, Back to Darling - that's about 250 or 260 if starting in D'ville.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Johannes Treitz said:

Thanks for the helpful insights everybody!

I will look a bit further out, at Cederberg, Paarl, Wellington, Riebeek Kasteel, Greyton, Robertson, Montagu for riding gravel.

While we are at it, where do road bikers like to go in the Western Cape?

For road biking, if you exclude the usual peninsula stuff, then yes either Bainskloof or Franschhoek pass is great.

There’s a nice breakfast spot at the foot of Bains where you can stop. And there are loads of options in Franschhoek as well for a nice stop.

6 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

For road biking, if you exclude the usual peninsula stuff

If you like being alive, it's probably a good idea to exclude that between mid november to end of jan :(

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Here's a nice ride from Melkbos - some tar but a lot of gravel too

Straight up on Tar with a wide shouder to botterberg, over botterberg then old malmesbury road, turn left at Kalbaskraal and jump onto the railway line service road and follow that to Darling. Have a sandwich at Tannie Evita's. From there there are gravel option to head further into the swartland, Malmesbury, Riebeeck kasteel, or return via Papenskuil road, to Mamre - from Mamre can be a bit dodge from a "What's this cyclist doing here" point of view, through Atlantis, back to Melkbos.

Another nice option that @lechatnoirand I did the other weekend is drive Malmesbury, park there and head out on a loop that heads South to Joubertskloof road and then hooks up after 12km of tar with Haaskraal road, coffee at Hermon and then Riebeek kasteel and Wes and back to Malmesbury on Klawervlei road. Gives about 121 odd, most of it on gravel.

There are also options to go further - Moreesburg, Hopefield, Back to Darling - that's about 250 or 260 if starting in D'ville.

Never felt 100% safe going past Chatsworth and the railway service road to Darling Cellars. You will never be found if something goes wrong on that stretch. 

1 hour ago, RustyHWR said:

Never felt 100% safe going past Chatsworth and the railway service road to Darling Cellars. You will never be found if something goes wrong on that stretch. 

Never had a problem in 7 or 8 trips that way. Friendly locals through kalbaskraal and Chatsworth. 

That having been said, I seldom feel 100 percent comfortable and safe anywhere on the roads. 

29 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Never had a problem in 7 or 8 trips that way. Friendly locals through kalbaskraal and Chatsworth. 

That having been said, I seldom feel 100 percent comfortable and safe anywhere on the roads. 

Bear in mind you are 2m tall and look like a Viking squeezed into lycra.... Some of us are hobbit sized and far less intimidating!

28 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Bear in mind you are 2m tall and look like a Viking squeezed into lycra.... Some of us are hobbit sized and far less intimidating!

Ha ha ...Jeez ... The guy manning the toll  turnaround  point on chappies called me "Oupa" on Friday afternoon. And picking my way down skeleton gorge with a cohort of my peers a guy of about 30 said "well done" in a way that said "hope I'm still hiking the mountain at their age. 

Sigh

5 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Ha ha ...Jeez ... The guy manning the toll  turnaround  point on chappies called me "Oupa" on Friday afternoon. And picking my way down skeleton gorge with a cohort of my peers a guy of about 30 said "well done" in a way that said "hope I'm still hiking the mountain at their age. 

Sigh

that's a lovely anecdote, 'oom'

3 hours ago, guidodg said:

we have some AMAZING gravel riding here in Greyton, home of the Pie Run gravelgrind race in September...hundreds of km of rolling dirt roads and some technical gravel riding routes if desired

582B9EA9-D54E-4C19-A023-EFEDC582065C.jpg

1FD15C24-A200-44F3-A062-E29CABCA8094.jpg

05809E83-E29A-4271-90D7-AD248640140E.jpg

9195C5B4-8659-46F5-B9B7-16030FD2FDF1.jpg

Sold, what's the best argument to convince a wife to go there with 2 kids ? :D

14 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Sold, what's the best argument to convince a wife to go there with 2 kids ? :D

Tell her it's just like rural France but without the French........ 😆

Greyton is rad. There is a lot for the family to get up to if they like being outdoors. 

22 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Just to clarify my own point, yes there are some gravel roads around Durbanville, Stellenbosch, Melkbos - but in my biased opinion they are pretty mundane, boring and broken up by long also boring tar stretches.

If I was travelling from overseas specifically to do gravel the towns just outside Cape Town would not be my first choice, I would go further out

is this not what gravel biking is about....

and im out of here! 👀