the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/25/2024 at 2:37 PM, tubed said:

Just been sitting next to 6 Chinese riders at the *Waterfront who obviously rode, then there are the other obvious foreign riders milling about. Point being, with the currency where it is at, I can't see why a profit making company like the Epic wont do everything to make sure it cant maximise the spend from those with hard currency and promote the event to that audience.

Also seemed to me to be a very large Spanish speaking contingent, supported by the number of enthusiastic posters in the Youtube comments, they seem to love the race. Maybe some Hermida wackyness in the race commentary booth would be in order, he could comment in Spanglish alongside Sabine who was great.

On the patriotic side - Matt is the best Epic rider in the world. Candice is of the best Epic riders in the world (just needs a stronger partner choice, which is also a skill of Matt's).

*Edit: context

The riders come from places that people do ride like south america and Spain .One year there were many Belgians and in 2019 there was a big team from Colombia  

Edited by eala

19 hours ago, babse said:

those "Latvian wannabe pros" that won the amatuer cat are some serious amateurs ay... just missed out on top20 overall

🙃

Remnants of a serious endurance engine from Winter Olympics biathlon 

5 hours ago, karma said:

Is Comrades/CE/W2W harder than Ironman?

(I'll see myself out)

Tongue in cheek ....

After a couple of Ironman events, including an age-cat podium, a friend did her first Comrades.

Due to an overseas trip the Comrades training was reduced to a 10 week block.

Finished it at her normal pace, and none of the "dramatic scenes" associated with Comrades.

Recovery did take longer than an Ironman though.

Based on the statistical data of a ONE .... Comrades is easier than Ironman

She has been top of podium at Trans Baviaans, but not interested in multi-day cycling events ..... actually, she does not like technical rides, so wont enter such events.

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Tongue in cheek ....

After a couple of Ironman events, including an age-cat podium, a friend did her first Comrades.

Finished it at her normal pace, and none of the "dramatic scenes" associated with Comrades.

She has been top of podium at Trans Baviaans, but not interested in multi-day cycling events ..... actually, she does not like technical rides, so wont enter such events.

so...almost up there with W2W Shiraz.

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Tongue in cheek ....

are people really comparing a race that takes elites ~8hours against one that takes ~5:30?

4 minutes ago, karma said:

so...almost up there with W2W Shiraz.

I have done a couple of Ironman 70.3's and was training to do my first full when I injured my back. I have spoken to a couple of people who has done Comrades and Ironman and all says the same thing. 

Comrades is harder on the day but the training for Ironman is way harder if you take into account most of the days you have to do 2 training sessions or a brick session. 

1 minute ago, Irvin85 said:

I have done a couple of Ironman 70.3's and was training to do my first full when I injured my back. I have spoken to a couple of people who has done Comrades and Ironman and all says the same thing. 

Comrades is harder on the day but the training for Ironman is way harder if you take into account most of the days you have to do 2 training sessions or a brick session. 

Comrades is easy... half the time it is downhill... pretty much a sprint compared to IM and Epic :D

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

When to take the medal off from around your neck once you back home 4 months after the event 

LOL, after the medal you still gave the backpack that you can wear onto every flight and use for taking your kit to the gym

21 minutes ago, tubed said:

LOL, after the medal you still gave the backpack that you can wear onto every flight and use for taking your kit to the gym

The best part about those bags is that if you chose to put the tattoo on one of your calves, you can push down your compression sock every once in a while to show everyone that your bag matches your body, your peak visor and your questionable life choices.......

5 minutes ago, dave303e said:

How do you know someone has done ironman, epic, sani2sea, went to a midlands boarding school, lives in the cape or does crossfit? They will tell you sometime in the first 5 mins of conversation...

I live in the Cape and would never do this.

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Tongue in cheek ....

Ive started 2 Comrades and did not finish either one.

Started 1 ironman and finished with hours to spare.

I guess everyone is different.... im sure it depends on your strengths and weaknesses. Im a way better cyclist than runner.

But maybe a good runner that is not a great cyclist would prefer Comrades.