Deristricted E Bikes

The itch

how do organisers police Ebikes that have their 'governing chip' removed. there are conversations doing the rounds after a recent seeding event where some results were questioned in an event that had no E Bike dedicated category. i was just thinking , i wouldn't like to be hit by an out of control 20kg Ebike at 25kph never mind 1 going down a hill even faster. Cycling regulations state that the bike may not be tampered with and altered in any way.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, The itch said:

how do organisers police Ebikes that have their 'governing chip' removed. there are conversations doing the rounds after a recent seeding event where some results were questioned in an event that had no E Bike dedicated category. i was just thinking , i wouldn't like to be hit by an out of control 20kg Ebike at 25kph never mind 1 going down a hill even faster. Cycling regulations state that the bike may not be tampered with and altered in any way.

They just set a min time for event, faster than that and you  dont get a result.

1 minute ago, The itch said:

A number of organisers acknowledge that it is very difficult to police this rule.

1.  SA follows European rules, i.e. e-assist to reduce and stop at 25km/h.

2. Many, if not most, of bikes imported to SA have American settings, i.e. e-assist stops 32km/h. (20mph)

3. Downhill the only limit is the bikes gearing, even with the motor switched off.  I have changed the gearing on mine to maintain 50km/h on a downhill.

I have only once managed an average speed of 30km/h .... 

Only time I keep up with the E group is into the wind.  On a grade 5 climb the ebike has an advantage ... but on the next downhill I am dropped like a bad habbit.

In fact, the breakaway group of F came flying past, into the wind, at the Winelands event.

Moral of the story - even an American spec ebike wont keep up with the racers.

E-doping .... wayyyy too easy.  The supplier have contacted me a few times to sell me a chip.  It doubles the assist speed.  YouTube has many videos how to de-restrict most e-bikes.

Sadly a few is going to spoil it for the rest of us that merely want to enjoy a fun-ride.  As we dont qualify for any prices it is no more than a fun ride.

Now if somebody de-restricts a bike, and then mixes it up in the racing groups .... this type of rider will spoil it for all.

Back to your question - how do organisers deal with this ....

1. Trailseeker restricts ebikes to ONE group .... simply no way an ebike can influence the race results.

2. Winelands 2023 had a batch start for ebikes ... too late to have any impact on the racers 30 minutes up the road.  BEST that I have experienced to date.

3. Winelands 2024 - normal seeding was applied .... TOTAL MESS !!!!   This is when the odd ebiker can influence the results ....

4.  CTCT .... for better or worse, they apply a time limit.  Faster than 3:50 is an automatic disqualification.  With a restricted bike I am riding hard to go faster than that.  Healthy knees on an ebike may well knock a chunk off that time.  In 2023 a group of ebikes started in E, too far back to impact results.  I know of 1 that started in C, he ran out of battery by Campsbay ...

5. 99er 2024 speaks of an ebike group.  We will only get more detail at registration.  They have also copied the 3:50 rule .... for a shorter and flatter route .... my training aims to complete it sub 3:30 .... then sit and wait before crossing the finish line

The BIG PROBLEM ..... Finish Time ....

Trailseeker has clear colour coded boards for each class, and times are clearly labelled.  And results are SEPARATED.

Our friends at Finish Time has an ebike category on the entry page .... from that point onwards there is NO distinction .... we get seeded (often too high) with amish bikes ... results are grouped together.

Proposed solution -

- once entered as an ebike the default seeding starts 30 minutes after the racers.

- the number should be colour coded to make it easy to monitor compliance

- I dont like the minimum time, but it works ... 

SAD that a few is spoiling it for everybody else

Whaaaaat 😲

Help my trap riders that cheat?

Can't be ... I've been told that the only ones riding them are the ones that really need them for health and other related reasons and are only out to have fun. In fact if they take a long time that's the whole idea... I'm shocked to the core!

I'll never look at them in the same light again 😜

2 hours ago, The itch said:

i wouldn't like to be hit by an out of control 20kg Ebike at 25kph never mind 1 going down a hill even faster. Cycling regulations state that the bike may not be tampered with and altered in any way.

uhm. I would like to point out that I ride amish bikes with no electronic or other form of aid other than my legs. And I would also like to say that I can reach some seriously stupid speeds when I point the bike downhill and at my 120kg mass and the speeds I manage to achieve, I would probably cause some serious damage to anyone who would venture across my path causing a collision. And that is best case outcomes right there. I prefer not to ponder the outcome in the worst case scenario.

I am not too sure what e-bike limitations are supposed to achieve if that is the intended goal?

By way of example, I was catching, and overtaking, cars descending Suikerbos into Hout Bay a couple weekends back simply by lowering the dropper and tucking behind the bars and not even bothering to pedal. My momentum was enough to get me to hovering around 70kph with little effort.

2 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Whaaaaat 😲

Can't be ... I've been told that the only ones riding them are the ones that really need them for health and other related reasons and are only out to have fun. In fact if they take a long time that's the whole idea... I'm shocked to the core!

And some use gravel tyres to gain a further advantage ....

And the dont even have the desency to use spagetti bars ... 

50 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I am not too sure what e-bike limitations are supposed to achieve if that is the intended goal?
.....m

These are COMMUTER bikes in Europe.

25km/h limit aims to manage the differencial speed between pedestrians and cyclists.   At least thats what I heard on embn

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

And some use gravel tyres to gain a further advantage ....

And the dont even have the desency to use spagetti bars ... 

The lengths they will go to Chris, blimmin heck next thing you will know they start taking PEDS ... God forbid!

25kph is to differentiate the moped and scooter riders from bicycles, not pedestrians

12 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Whaaaaat 😲

You fotgot to italicise your entire post

15 hours ago, The itch said:

CSA didn't even check that there weren't e-bikes in the licensed racing batches at Ride Joburg, so the answer is that race organisers don't police them at all, let alone if they are chipped.

15 hours ago, The itch said:

25kph ? that's slow ... in SA we go 32kph..

Separate Groups and start times far enough away from the first Racing batch.

There is no different to those de restricting bikes and those on analog bikes taking PEDS ...

even better if separate routes with more climbing and tech like power stages in E-EWS (A un-realistic dream) 

One battery Rule (Could be some complaining there, and also some event could loose a lot of support)

Unless you on a road Ebike, de restricting is not all cracked out what its meant to be.... going over that 32kph limit eats through battery at such a rate, I personally don't think its worth it.

Oh and my Max speed is faster on my Armnish bike than my E-bike. 

Edited by DuncanDoughnuts