Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

To many it's about conquering the challenge of an ‘almighty 100km’ lol. Go around the office and talk to people, 100km to avarage joe is like the Munga to most of us. Seems impossible.

For many years, as a weekend warrior, just finishing the 100km was an accomplishment. Heck the first couple of times I did it the wind blew dust into my eyes as I crossed the finish line, thats how much of an achievement it was for me. I try not to forget that,

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Edit - did a bit of googling. 2015 the last group started at 10h00, 2024 the last group (long distance) starts at 8h57.

This is exactly the problem!

And it's silly because there's an hours gap between the last 109km group and the first 42km group. I get that they want to try have the road cleared of the leaders of the 42km but it's compromising the main event.

They should do the start groups as they did before where the last 109km group starts at 10 and then the 42km group continue from then. Ride with the masses and when you get to the end of the M3 you know what route you're doing so take the appropriate turn.

3 hours ago, babse said:

sounds like the 42km is a burden to the overall event more than anything...

NOPE

From @Me rida my bicycle towing a buggie, to Tant Ansie in her late 70's no longer capable of the 109km (having done 21 full routes), there is a market for this group.

Also it creates an opportunity for @KB280DT to introduce his teenage daughter to the CTCT.

Sure, there may need to be a rethink of maximum group sizes, maximum number of entries, etc.

But let's see the benefits of the 42km race and work towards a better overall plan for the day.

Edited by ChrisF

2 hours ago, TIB said:

I trust it is the yellow one....😜

Back then I was part of the support team.

Did my first ride, or was that a swim, in 2022.  Entered 2 weeks before the event on a dare ....

3 hours ago, Akon said:

Start in &.

Allow yourself (that's what you'll tell yourself!) to be dropped on Edinburgh and hook onto the leading Tandem that caught you by then.

Free ride from there --> they actively discourage you to "contribute"!

Thanks you just sorted my race strategy 

1 hour ago, KingZA said:

This is exactly the problem!

And it's silly because there's an hours gap between the last 109km group and the first 42km group. I get that they want to try have the road cleared of the leaders of the 42km but it's compromising the main event.

They should do the start groups as they did before where the last 109km group starts at 10 and then the 42km group continue from then. Ride with the masses and when you get to the end of the M3 you know what route you're doing so take the appropriate turn.

I see how that’s going to turn out….😂

If it means cramming 400 riders into a bunch because they need the road cleared for 42km ride... then in my mind thats a massive compremise on rider safety and the 42 should be reconsidered.

Either they push the CoCT (who the CT Trust works hand in hand with) to get longer road use on the day or look for alternate day/route.

I really hope im wrong but I cannot see this ending well in groups @ , & and A. 4 and 3min gaps are way to short for that bunch size.

The positive thing about the 42 is the M3 stays closed till 12:30. It’s a lovely safe bike highway till 12:30.

invite to see many of you that are riding home use the M3.

maybe even coffee at vide cantstandhere village

Edited by DieselnDust

18 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The positive thing about the 42 is the M3 stays closed till 12:30. It’s a lovely safe bike highway till 12:30.

invite to see many of you that are riding home use the M3.

maybe even coffee at vide cantstandhere village

Was thinking of doing this on my ride back to Tokai.

Question is, where would you ride to from finish to safely join up on the route again?

Maybe from Vredehoek/Zonnebloem somewhere?

5 minutes ago, Chingy182 said:

Question is, where would you ride to from finish to safely join up on the route again?

I join after the last 42 km riders depart. They start dismantling the chutes almost immediately 

3 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Doing my 21st CTCT as pilot on a tandem this year as well with a good mate (doing his 36th) stoking the blue train. Bit disappointed we didn't make the Racing Tandem bunch. He got the seeding but I'm 1B so I guess we'll have to drop back to my group?

Pity because being among the solo's is a PITA when you're guiding that tandem at speed. Rim brakes on a tandem and disk brakes on solo bikes = disaster waiting to happen ☠️ Guess we'll be on the front as much as possible.

Strange they stuck you both in different groups. Did you enter as a tandem?

either way, that’s cool and yes, you need to have your finger pulled when riding a tandem with singles. But I must say, majority of the singles that are well seeded have some good knowledge in terms of riding with a tandem so they do give some space. Well that’s what I have found but I do try my best to stay at the front where the stronger riders are as they generally are more on the ball. We were in 1B last year and there was a crash coming down hospital hill. We slowed down with the bunch and some poepol from the rear didn’t and came racing passed everyone on the right because he thought he was just so much faster than everyone and he promptly rode into the back of us. His managed to bend our rear hanger and search the bike badly. We lost a few gears and had to do some babying of the hanger to get going. 

Yeah, we entered as a tandem pairing. I'll follow it up at registration but I'm not holding out much hope of a late seeding change. Still looking forward to the ride though, we had a great Tour de PPA on the bike so hoping the Tour goes as well  🤙

2 hours ago, Chingy182 said:

I got on at Searle street after riding through town and up towards Walmer estate

On 3/4/2024 at 10:53 AM, ChrisF said:

And yet a number of stage races cant attract enough numbers to keep events viable.

The numbers at Winelands, 99er and now CTCT seems to go against the common perception.

Maybe time for the organisers to have another look at which events draws the numbers.  Certainly a fickle market ....

GOOD to see the increase in numbers

sort of totally unrelated, but thought I'd throw this comment in here:

Twenty years ago, the Dusi K2 years used to have almost 1000 boats finishing (977 in 2002, 969 in 2004, and 970 in 2006) but with the steady decline in participation ever since, only 207 boats finished this year. The Dusi may not attract the same sort of numbers it used to, but it remains as iconic as ever and all who went will tell you what a fantastic event it still is. Well done to Andy Birkett and Matt Fenn on taking the win ahead of local favourites Mtolo and Khwela by over 6 minutes. Andy is now just one win away from equaling the Popes incredible record of 15 Dusi titles.