Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

3 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

😂Jislaaik that Chappies descent was hard work. 

Glad to know it wasn't just me ... felt like I was still turning the pedals well enough but had no speed to show for it.! 🙈

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Also, what happened to the tail wind as per forecast😂. Jislaaik that Chappies descent was hard work. 

I had a sense of humour failure at the crest of chappies where, instead of a glorious freewheel 50km/h descent, it was 300w all the way down

Best $ group I’ve ridden in the last 3 tours, maybe due to the fact that it was never slow. No problem of tour de PPA bringing people who can’t ride in that bunch, still dodged a few crashes but didn’t spot any dodgy behaviour !

Great job to the guys shooting the youtube coverage as missing all the main moves in our race though, makes it quite a boring catch up as usual, except this time Hb’s commentary is 👌👌Maybe next year I ride a bit faster so I know what happened in the front 🤣 👌👌

Edited by Jbr

So my Garmin decided to turn of the gps. No tracking for the entire ride, I had speed, time, HR and cadence. 
not a big issue in the ride (although no avg speed meant I was doing lots of math in my head), but now uploading to Garmin and Strava has minimal data. 
does anyone know how to add distance to a Strava ride that only has time?

2 hours ago, matthew de haast said:

Ocean view to sun valley…. WTF! Those ******* roadwork things in the middle were an accident waiting to happen

Those caught out a few in the front part of @, us stragglers 50m off the back rode past a few riders on the ground.

Chappies was... interesting? Headwind, tailwind, headwind, tailwind as we wound our way up.

2 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

So my Garmin decided to turn of the gps. No tracking for the entire ride, I had speed, time, HR and cadence. 
not a big issue in the ride (although no avg speed meant I was doing lots of math in my head), but now uploading to Garmin and Strava has minimal data. 

same happened to me on Ride for Sight...😪

Don't think there is a way to correct it 

Decided I was going to give my indola button shirt a chance to prove it's ability to keep the sun off my neck... Did that and made a nice parachute of itself in the wind. Knoophemp cycling shirts belong on the mtb trails. 

11 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

My Polar did the exact same thing. Did not track distance or speed at all. It only showed elapsed time.

Goddam. That was a hard ride for me. Something was off with my nutrition as I felt thirsty the whole ride. I emptied 2 bottles of water alone. And that wind was not ayoba. I get to the top of Chappies and instead of freeing down I have to peddle to make headway.

Virtually prayed the last 10km away.

2 minutes ago, dev null said:

My Polar did the exact same thing. Did not track distance or speed at all. It only showed elapsed time.

Flippen irritates me. I rode yesterday. It was perfect, did not touch a thing, today it decides to turn off gps. I think it was the update that forced its installation, when I turned it on this morning it notified me that an update had installed. 
and once a ride is started there appears to be no way of turning gps on again. After the finish I went through the menus again and it said gps. Turned it back on before riding to camps bay and back to the finish. 

Anyway, race report. 

started at the front of 2A, headed out onto the highway without issue, 2 youngsters out front setting the pace, I tried to stick with them, but between trying to figure out why my gps was not working and these guys being strong and my legs feeling sore for some reason, I was dropped. 
managed to stay with the main group of 2A through to Edinburg, I cruised up there but seemed to crest alone, hit the blue route and found a bunch of about 6 guys, we rode through from there to fishhoek where the bunch swelled. 
Relatively well behaved bunch, stuck together until Smits.   Cresting Smit’s I found a few guys from the group and we cruised through to the little climb before ocean view , after the decent, regrouped again and sucked wheel into the wind. 
some guys went right of the beacons and made things sketchy. 
Chappies hurt, then the decent had me wide awake after nearly getting flung off by the wind  

Suikers I just stuck to slow and steady, legs felt like they were going to cramp, after Suikers found a small group and sucked wheel with everything I had, legs screaming at me the last few km.

Set a PB of 3:32, 4 minutes quicker than last year .

i then sat for 15minutes before heading back to the car, cut off my chip and front number thingy, then headed along the back roads to camps bay, waited for my mate doing his 21st, we road back to the finish together from there  

I started in 7C at 08:30 and noticed the pace was high out the gates. I decided to take it easy until top of Edinburgh and then I tagged onto a quick bunch and got towed to the bottom of Smits where it was each man for himself to the finish. I managed a respectable (for me) 5:18 on my mountain bike. Good day out.

I hope the two gents being given chest compressions by the Medics made it. One at the turn-off to Kirstenbosch and one on Cramps Bay Hill.

Also saw a spectator with a severe head injury and bleeding something fierce in Kalk bay. Looks like she fell and head-but the kerb.

Some more general mayhem all over with medics treating a bunch of crashes all over the scene.

Tough, hard, but good day out. Well done all finishers.

O, btw, I finally finished my 10th. Between not finishing the 2021 race, and not starting the 2022 race because of post-COVID heart issues, this should have happened years ago. Chuffed that that milestone is done and dusted. My son also finished his 10th. He will be 24 in 2 weeks, so he definitely can do his 21st before he is even 40,

Bloke that finished behind me finished his 44th.

Edited by dev null