why does a top end MTB cost more than a motorbike?

Shebeen

This old horse, do we really need to flog it more?

This came up on my feed, I am not a motorbike guy, but I really enjoyed it.

this topic will come up again, I think this video does an excellent job of point out why it's not an apples vs apples scenario.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, we're certainly not rubber stamping asking R295k for a MTB, but the video makes some good points in terms of a top-end MTB being basically race-ready, with little needed to do other than personal preferences, vs a motorbike that most likely won't last a proper race in the category it falls in. 

The Valley Electrical Titan Racing Team took our stock Cypher RS Carbon Team bikes, changed tires, changed chainrings and added some spares, bottle cages and pedals, and took it to the Cape Epic for 8 days of dust hell. 

You can watch that video HERE:

30 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

This old horse, do we really need to flog it more?

This came up on my feed, I am not a motorbike guy, but I really enjoyed it.

this topic will come up again, I think this video does an excellent job of point out why it's not an apples vs apples scenario.

Because there is people that buy them.

Not sure what you'd have to do to an KTM ADV 890R to make it "race ready" but most people who buy them use them just fine for all kinds of events that could be termed "races" in their normal guise. They come with top notch adjustable suspension, rider aids and electronics that make the Epic 8 look like a throwback. No race was won because of RS electronic suspension, just like the Brain didn't win anyone a race either. 

10 minutes ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

Seriously though, we're certainly not rubber stamping asking R295k for a MTB, but the video makes some good points in terms of a top-end MTB being basically race-ready, with little needed to do other than personal preferences, vs a motorbike that most likely won't last a proper race in the category it falls in. 

The Valley Electrical Titan Racing Team took our stock Cypher RS Carbon Team bikes, changed tires, changed chainrings and added some spares, bottle cages and pedals, and took it to the Cape Epic for 8 days of dust hell. 

Looks like different wheels as well?

Beautiful bike though. Never thought I'd see XX Sl at this price

1 minute ago, MaMc said:

Looks like different wheels as well?

Beautiful bike though. Never thought I'd see XX Sl at this price

Ah, yes - good catch. They have a team sponsor that supplies wheels. 

6 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Not sure what you'd have to do to an KTM ADV 890R to make it "race ready" but most people who buy them use them just fine for all kinds of events that could be termed "races" in their normal guise. They come with top notch adjustable suspension, rider aids and electronics that make the Epic 8 look like a throwback. No race was won because of RS electronic suspension, just like the Brain didn't win anyone a race either. 

You cannot term WP Xplor Suspension "top notch". At best it is bitter ***

3 minutes ago, thebob said:

You cannot term WP Xplor Suspension "top notch". At best it is bitter ***

I wanted to say the same 

People need rethink what motorbikes cost once they have ohlins fitted 

13 minutes ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

Weeeeellllllll :rolls eyes:….

if you took a stock R1000RR to a race track you could race it against other stock 1L sportsbikes. But that’s not how the rules of motorsport are written.

i could bring an e-bike to cape epic and it would be the same as bringing a modified 1L to 250cc race.

an XCO race bike can be hyped up for all it’s worth it’s still mostly 8 kg of PAN and epoxy resin powered by a yet to be caught doper. 

Furthermore they’re not bespoke but come out of the same mould whereas aero bits on a motorbike is made for a track and a rider I.e they’re generally bespoke.

If we remain brand conscious then we’ll all be riding Raleigh’s in the near future because it’s all that will be affordable. There is a ceiling here

Reminds of a time I visited GoMX in Tableview. Shop owner had a mx bike on the floor and he was lamenting how expensive the mx bikes have got, and the one he had on the shop floor was around 150k. I just smiled and told him what top end MTB's cost. His response was that there wasn't even an engine between the legs. I had to remind him again that the legs were the engine. 

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Reminds of a time I visited GoMX in Tableview. Shop owner had a mx bike on the floor and he was lamenting how expensive the mx bikes have got, and the one he had on the shop floor was around 150k. I just smiled and told him what top end MTB's cost. His response was that there wasn't even an engine between the legs. I had to remind him again that the legs were the engine. 

And the 5 inches between the legs is the brain

3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Someone liberated my Raleigh from my house last night so I may have to look at a Titan 🙂 

We're here for you!