Low-balling Webuycycles

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I told this oke that I think his price has one too many '0's and he obviously thought I was smoking and low balling him: 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/711149/momsen-vipa-carbon

The moment I get an offer from them I remind myself that I have something they desperately want, so much so that the owner is willing to make his name poephol to get it :D

10 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I told this oke that I think his price has one too many '0's and he obviously thought I was smoking and low balling him: 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/711149/momsen-vipa-carbon

The moment I get an offer from them I remind myself that I have something they desperately want, so much so that the owner is willing to make his name poephol to get it :D

I saw this and thought the same even the newer models where less than half of that🤣 in that case I have a like new HT for only R90k but this offer is for 2 days only 😂

I also recently got a 50% offer from WeBuyCycles and just politely declined their offer... Maybe Ivan onto something and hoping/wishing he gets a 50% offer on his Vipa and Top Fuel.

Easy.. as long as people use them they will keep doing it and be in business.

Why don't you just use Bike hub classifieds Gumtree etc. unless people are so cash strapped and want money now in which case they will take whatever is offered.

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Why is it so bothersome?

Just say no and move on?

It's not personal. It's just an offer

Precisely... 

If they really wanted it so badly why not give people a call and show real interest instead of copy pasting ridiculous offers and waiting for someone in what could be a compromised financial position and screw them over.

If they selling at 10% more then maybe they making cycling more accessible, but allas it points to profiting off others and taking advantage of people.

ive got offers from them for a complete bike for the amount I could get for selling the frameset alone.

but their model is to take advantage of desperate people. Others will ignore and post threads like this. Desperate people will accept the offer and get deeper into a hole with less money in hand.

2 hours ago, throttles said:

If they really wanted it so badly why not give people a call and show real interest instead of copy pasting ridiculous offers and waiting for someone in what could be a compromised financial position and screw them over.

If they selling at 10% more then maybe they making cycling more accessible, but allas it points to profiting off others and taking advantage of people.

ive got offers from them for a complete bike for the amount I could get for selling the frameset alone.

but their model is to take advantage of desperate people. Others will ignore and post threads like this. Desperate people will accept the offer and get deeper into a hole with less money in hand.

Bike advertised at X price. Potential buyer offers 50% less than X price. Why is this even an ongoing topic?

Ive said it before on here before but when i decide to sell things, it’s because i want something else or i’ve decided i got my value out of it and just want to sell it for something reasonable.

I’m not looking to recoup 75% of what i paid for it. I see it as kind of paying it forward. i usually list them at roughly 50% what i paid, sometimes less based on condition, Which i always feel is a good deal (based on what I would pay).  
Considering how fast they then usually sell, buyers tend to agree. I almost never get offers on things, just confirmation that they’ll take it and a request for bank details. 

My personal record was listing a GX AXS kit early on a Saturday morning (best time window imo) and between clicking post advert and having the money in my account took less than 15 minutes🤣

But when i list a custom built bike with less than 1000km on it at 50% what it cost to put together, and get an offer at 25%, yes that can be…mildly annoying to say the least.

Sure, its business, make an offer, haggle a bit….but these guys have been in the game long enough to know when something is a good deal and already priced to sell fast. We all do when we see something priced really well, you jump on it if you were even remotely thinking about it. Don’t take the piss then by trying to offer the guy 50% less.

I also politely declined their offer once saying I was pretty sure I’ll sell the bike at full asking price by that weekend, and ofcourse it did. It was collected and the buyer was so happy with his purchase, it made me happy that he was happy. 

They already have a certain reputation among venerable sellers. It doesn't take long for opinions to spread, like it is here…

4 hours ago, TheAntoine1 said:

Bike advertised at X price. Potential buyer offers 50% less than X price. Why is this even an ongoing topic?

This is a forum, topics are created for discussion. People are sharing their experiences and view. You get people for and against, some are undecided and some get persuaded to change their original view through the comments and experiences that others have shared. That’s how a forum works.

But in your scenario the potential buyer is a reseller and wants to sell it for a profit regardless of what fair value is whether it’s perceived or true.

In most cases items are listed slightly below market value already. Offering half of that without being willing to pick up the phone and instead dropping “bulk spam lowball offers” to everyone and then waiting for a bite speaks to the nature of taking advantage of a possible challenging situation the seller is in.

Willing buyer willing seller vs willing buyer financially challenged seller.

everyone is welcome to their opinion, either you have something constructive to and contribute. If not then carry on to the next thread.

Edited by throttles
🫣

On a platform where people buy and sell there are crazy low offers made all the time, no matter what the item for sale is - endless 3rd party discussions on the character of the peoples involved achieves nothing and the practise will continue all over the world as it has before.

13 minutes ago, TheAntoine1 said:

On a platform where people buy and sell there are crazy low offers made all the time, no matter what the item for sale is - endless 3rd party discussions on the character of the peoples involved achieves nothing and the practise will continue all over the world as it has before.

Thank you 👌🏻🤲

Isn't this the principle of the the free market system? Isn't it the basis of any freemarket business (buy as low as possible and sell as high as possible)?

If somebody offers  a price far less than what it was advertised at, the seller has two options. Accept it or reject it..... It is that simple. 

39 minutes ago, TheAntoine1 said:

Why does it bother you so much that people share experiences and discuss it? 

Even if it achieves nothing, we get to moan and vent, so let us be, we're saving money on professional help. 😋

Plus...on a serious note, if everyone sold their equipment at the lowest offered prices, it will bring down the value, as "they" can afford to resell at much lower prices and still make a marginal profit, killing the competition who needs to make a proper margin to survive.