Low-balling Webuycycles

8 minutes ago, karma said:

"they" can afford to resell at much lower prices and still make a marginal profit...

Perhaps, but I'm not so sure that is the case looking at some of "their" prices. 🤔

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect that it may be a business that could be a much better business if they followed the webuycars model more closely. I was cynical about them but one deal I got into they (webuycars that is) were very decent and reasonable; surprising me 😁.

36 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

...one deal I got into they (webuycars that is) were very decent and reasonable; surprising me 😁.

And here, Mr Potato, is the crux of the matter.

Do you position your business as ethical and fair by offering a good purchase price and likewise a good selling price (at a reasonable % markup) hereby developing an excellent business reputation where clients old and new are more than happy to deal with you. 

If your business is based on extortionate prices  where you purposely offer ridiculously low prices and then sell at the highest prices possible you ultimately lose your reputation as not being a desirable company to deal with.

A bad reputation doesn't always close a business down but does throttle sales when customers are turned away from doing business!

Long live BikeHub, long live...🤭

4 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

And here, Mr Potato, is the crux of the matter.

Do you position your business as ethical and fair by offering a good purchase price and likewise a good selling price (at a reasonable % markup) hereby developing an excellent business reputation where clients old and new are more than happy to deal with you. 

If your business is based on extortionate prices  where you purposely offer ridiculously low prices and then sell at the highest prices possible you ultimately lose your reputation as not being a desirable company to deal with.

A bad reputation doesn't always close a business down but does throttle sales when customers are turned away from doing business!

Long live BikeHub, long live...🤭

Who is extorting anyone and who is turning away customers though?

They are making an offer, you accept it or you don't and move on.

If their business fails, it fails. If their business succeeds then their business model works.

There is nothing unethical about offering someone less than perceived value. If they tried to insist your item was rubbish and not worth what you are asking then derail sales etc I would understand, but it seems they are straight forward in a lowball offer delivered in a pretty vanilla, straight forward manner.

Why do people continue to take this sort of thing personally?

They haven't disrespected you, your wife/dog/child etc.... They have just offered money for an item.

'No thanks guys, I'd be happy to sell at X or wait until a better offer comes my way. All the best'

you cannot compare webuycycles to WBCars, WBCars operate on a wholesale basis moving volume rather than chasing profit. The most they do is clean the car and provide a dekra report, this is why they can pay more than trade price and still sell at a reasonable price.

webuycycles seem to be throwing a net out and are obviously catching some fish along the way, it must be working for them because they are still doing it and are still in business. 

The result of WBCars is that they've skewed the used car market, this is one of the reasons used car prices are high, so the end user still gets the short end of the stick.

Some big words being thrown around, extorting, vulnerable, advantage ( as in taking advantage) etc.

we all adults, if we buy things we can’t afford or shouldn’t buy this not the fault of webuycycles or any other vendor.

just say no. 

6 hours ago, APJ88 said:

Just list your R100k bike for R200k and they will offer R100k. 

Follow me for financial advice. 

Smart this. 

Might even test the waters and see what type of offer I get😂

3 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

you cannot compare webuycycles to WBCars, WBCars operate on a wholesale basis moving volume rather than chasing profit. The most they do is clean the car and provide a dekra report, this is why they can pay more than trade price and still sell at a reasonable price.

webuycycles seem to be throwing a net out and are obviously catching some fish along the way, it must be working for them because they are still doing it and are still in business. 

The result of WBCars is that they've skewed the used car market, this is one of the reasons used car prices are high, so the end user still gets the short end of the stick.

One morr CRUCIAL difference between these two ...

A friend have bought a couple of bikes from BikeMarket.  They made a real effort to fix issues !!!  They clearly allow for this in their business model.

WeBuyCars .... handy for SELLING .... do a bit of a search about their lack of support when issues arise .... buy from them with eyes wide open !!!!

Life hack regarding WBC 

Consider them for selling sure , get the most you can always 

BUT NEVER buy from them , NEVER 

Everything they sell isn't a lemon but they do indeed sell some of the worst ones and once you've signed you are financially screwed 

...If you're bored go to hellopeter and just look at the shear amount( i swear they employ people to do this all day ) of duplicate reviews they leave for themselves to try and balance the floods of negative ones

I have also received really stupid offers with the "3 days only" catch attached .... no thanks to them.

21 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Why is it so bothersome?

Just say no and move on?

It's not personal. It's just an offer

I have told them twice for the same add to not respond to the add again. Second time offer was even worse than the first.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

One morr CRUCIAL difference between these two ...

A friend have bought a couple of bikes from BikeMarket.  They made a real effort to fix issues !!!  They clearly allow for this in their business model.

WeBuyCars .... handy for SELLING .... do a bit of a search about their lack of support when issues arise .... buy from them with eyes wide open !!!!

Exactly. They make a token effort with a Dekra report, you are basically buying the car voetstoets. And it’s not like they hide the fact. 

13 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I have told them twice for the same add to not respond to the add again. Second time offer was even worse than the first.

If they tried a second time with me for an even lower offer I would probably be banned for the **** i would start 

That's just bloody irksome