Heart Rate Strap - smelly

32 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Hot on the heels of that other Friday thread re chaffed thighs comes this bit of TMI . Seriously?

Maybe you're just a stinky oke? 

I'm going to pretend you didn't just say that, and go on with the thread. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pop the sensor unit off and run the strap under a tap for a minute and then hang on the burglar bars right in from of the sink to dry.. when I remember, every couple weeks, I’ll chuck it into the washing machine and it gets washed with the rest of my kit.. strap does not smell, and I sweat hey, turned a white jersey yellow embarrassingly fast.. 😳😰

remember the packaging recommended a ratio of every 7 rinses under a tap to 1 run in the washing machine.. that’s about 2 weeks for me between washes..🤷🏼‍♂️

I chuck my kit into the washing machine and in addition to the washing powder I chuck in about a tot of white vinegar. Zero pong. My gloves were getting manky and since I do that the smell is gone. My helmet liner gets a warm hand wash using hand gel in the basin and left in the soapy water to soak while I shower. After rinsing everything smells fresh again. I don't have odour issues anymore.

Helmet and hrmpro go in the shower with me after every ride. Dove soap & water. 

Hang to dry where there is air moving. 

Helmet goes into a bucket of water (25l) with about a double tot dettol, soak for a few hours, rinse hang out to dry. 

Strap gets sprayed with diluted dettol once in a while, rinse and hang out to dry. 

Apologies if this is not completely related but I probably don't wash mine as often as I should (no it doesn't stink yet thankfully 😁) but lately it seems to be underreading big time. I gave it a wash the other day and its just as bad, is it dead? Its not even a year old so I'm not impressed.

12 hours ago, Sandro said:

Apologies if this is not completely related but I probably don't wash mine as often as I should (no it doesn't stink yet thankfully 😁) but lately it seems to be underreading big time. I gave it a wash the other day and its just as bad, is it dead? Its not even a year old so I'm not impressed.

The very first step would be to replace the battery. If you're still not satisfied, take it back to the retailer, but I hope you have the receipt.

12 hours ago, fanievb said:

Helmet and hrmpro go in the shower with me after every ride. Dove soap & water. 

Hang to dry where there is air moving. 

Helmet goes into a bucket of water (25l) with about a double tot dettol, soak for a few hours, rinse hang out to dry. 

Strap gets sprayed with diluted dettol once in a while, rinse and hang out to dry. 

Aren't you afraid that the stryrofoam will absorb this water and compromise the integrity of the helmet?

37 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Aren't you afraid that the stryrofoam will absorb this water and compromise the integrity of the helmet?

Been doing for a long time and no issues 

14 hours ago, Sandro said:

The Garmin strap portion lasts me between 1 and 2 years before I start getting dropouts in the readings, especially when it's cold. Rinsing in the shower after every ride will get me closer to 2 years, washing machines or forgetting it in the ride bag too often will get me closer to 1.

18 hours ago, Sandro said:

Had that the same issue with two different straps both around two years old when it happened. Look for small scratch or scratches on the contact patches. Only option is to chuck it and buy new one.

5 hours ago, droo said:

The Garmin strap portion lasts me between 1 and 2 years before I start getting dropouts in the readings, especially when it's cold. Rinsing in the shower after every ride will get me closer to 2 years, washing machines or forgetting it in the ride bag too often will get me closer to 1.

I rinse mine after every use in shower as well, with the occasional wash in shower as well.