Carrying while cycling

3 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

Absolutely, its pretty easy to push someone off a bike from the side, especially if you are clipped in.

Very much one of my reasons for not carrying on the road bike.. I was riding standard flats on my mountain bike which makes it easier to dump the bike and create distance.. if I’m clipped in and at the top of a nasty climb so out of breathe, just struggling in general, I will probably find myself in trouble.. 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

Situational awareness is crucial as well....As much as you can...I feel that I might be in a better position riding on my own then in a group where people are always chatting and mucking about and not really paying attention to whats going on around them. I think you get a bit of a false sense of security in a group as well...

Im also in an area where I find endless snares so Im always keeping my eyes open when out and about...Pro tip here are bicycle cable cutters...makes easy work of snares. Normal pliers are crap.

Anyway, its not a great way to live but I aint quitting riding either!

Situational awareness is a skill that would need to be taught and would hopefully be covered in a training course.. 👍🏻

ive been an armed professional all my life 

im been trained by and worked with some of the best of the best in the worst of the worst places 

in my profession im considered to pretty kinda ok at this stuff

im very supportive of concealed carry by trained civilians and civilian gun ownership 

but seriously while riding your bike carrying a firearm is dumbo stupid 

let's not get into can you conceal it, or will you drop it accidently or will some crim notice and come for you because they want it (crims know whats in that fanny pack or under your form fitting bike shirt it's their business to notice)

training yeah (ask your trainer to prove his worth and real-world experience because there are lots of bullsh*tters out there telling you they can teach you to survive a gun fight for money, ask them how many gunfights they have been in ...)

scenario :

so ride your bike in zone 2 up a nice hill at the gun range, when the whistle blows....

stop bike suddenly -without going over bars or falling over 

fiddle and draw weapon from weird, concealed bag/belly holster with bike between legs after having clipped out and not fallen over bike and now standing in funny shoes with bike between your legs. 

engage targets effectively while controlling breathing after hill climb and with adrenaline kicking in 

think about it and curb your belief in how john wayne you are seriously ...

nothing personal just a opinion 

9 minutes ago, bikebloke said:

im been trained by and worked with some of the best of the best in the worst of the worst places 

im very supportive of concealed carry by trained civilians and civilian gun ownership 

let's not get into can you conceal it, or will you drop it accidently or will some crim notice and come for you because they want it (crims know whats in that fanny pack or under your form fitting bike shirt it's their business to notice)

training yeah (ask your trainer to prove his worth and real-world experience because there are lots of bullsh*tters out there telling you they can teach you to survive a gun fight for money, ask them how many gunfights they have been in ...)

scenario :

so ride your bike in zone 2 up a nice hill at the gun range, when the whistle blows....

fiddle and draw weapon from weird, concealed bag/belly holster with bike between legs after having clipped out and not fallen over bike and now standing in funny shoes with bike between your legs. 

engage targets effectively while controlling breathing after hill climb and with adrenaline kicking in 

The amount of guys teaching that have no real world experience is frightening.. 

Shooting at a target, fine, that you could teach yourself.. further training needs to come from a place of vast experience..

I absolutely agree, fine motor skills are a percentage of what they would be normaly while doing vigorous exercise.. I’ve run courses where they make you run laps and do pushups to failure and then expect you to manipulate a firearm and shoot a target in the A zone at 10m.. it’s eye opening to how useless you are.. 

10 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

As per my level of experience, this is my only viable contribution to the topic.

Thank you.. i will absolutely read through this thread.! 👍🏻

1 hour ago, bikebloke said:

scenario :

Add what @The Ouzo said.

My personal experience with an attempted bike jacking was that it was a SPLIT SECOND thing.  Well, I noted strange behaviour of what was at first two pedestrians.  By the time they stepped off the pavement and grabbed at the bar I used the e-bikes boost to speed up and steered AT them.  They quickly jumped back.

At NO point did they "threaten my life" !!  I would be on my back on the ground before "threatening my life" was ever an issue".

Thus:

1. No time to draw a fire arm, never mind how the heck you are going to use it properly while somebody wants to bump you off your bike.

2. By the time it becomes "life threatening" it is way too late to get to a fire arm.

For the classic "bike jacking" a fire arm is NOT a practical option. 

19 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Add what @The Ouzo said.

My personal experience with an attempted bike jacking was that it was a SPLIT SECOND thing.  Well, I noted strange behaviour of what was at first two pedestrians.  By the time they stepped off the pavement and grabbed at the bar I used the e-bikes boost to speed up and steered AT them.  They quickly jumped back.

At NO point did they "threaten my life" !!  I would be on my back on the ground before "threatening my life" was ever an issue".

Thus:

1. No time to draw a fire arm, never mind how the heck you are going to use it properly while somebody wants to bump you off your bike.

2. By the time it becomes "life threatening" it is way too late to get to a fire arm.

For the classic "bike jacking" a fire arm is NOT a practical option. 

I’m of the same opinion with a bike as I am with a car.. if you in a car and are shooting and trying to save your own life, you are in so much trouble that all the training in the world is only going to do so much.. as a civilian in that situation you are ******.. and then you have to question how you got there in the first place🤣🤣.. 

in that situation you are explaining I would have just dumped the bike into them from a couple meters or so away, drawn and kept my distance.. if they take the bike they leave with a bike, if they move towards me I will continue to move away and if a weapon is shown then they definitely getting shot.. that’s also assuming you not clipped in.. clips are a big concern for me and a big part of why I don’t carry on the road bike.. 

for a surprise attack we would hope that you have some sort of martial art that you can utilize more effectively than going for your firearm until the opportune moment.. choosing your moment is also a skill that’s learnt and not just randomly fumbling for your weapon at the first sign of trouble.. that will get you shot.. 

just because you have a gun doesn’t mean you don’t have to have any other skills.. needs to be utilized with an effective form of martial arts for close quarter engagements..

I've been knife-point-jacked 2 and a half times now in the last 5 years.

Why do I continue with my bike commute? I don't know. Maybe this is me proving to myself this country hasn't become the reverse jail it appears to be. Anyways.

I do approach the route a little different. The main thing is to have your head on a swivel. And learn to stop or not at some places/intersections. The time the guy took everyting I was distracted and not paying attention. He was happy to take my bike. Insurance was happy to replace it.

I don't have an issue with firearms being used to protect yourself or others from life threatening situations. But in order to do so you need to practice. A lot. And that would require some creativity once a bike (and perhaps a stumble) is involved. And I'm not sure that would be wise to try and do. Especially in an otherwise populated area. 

It is interesting to see natshoot approach this problem. I'm happy learn. For now I'm working in my garage on implanting my own wolverine claws and wrist harpoon gun. Yours truly. Not giving up on my country. 

15 hours ago, agentorenge said:

Don't do army boet, we shoot you before the enemy. 

If I ever needed to go, i bet you’d likely be the one in the grass doing the shooting yes.

i’d likely be the one with the cushy bus driver/cooking/desk job back home being kept from the front lines because the government invested in my subsided tertiary education.

We all have our value i guess…

🤷🏻‍♂️

7 minutes ago, MORNE said:

If I ever needed to go, i bet you’d likely be the one in the grass doing the shooting yes.

i’d likely be the one with the cushy bus driver/cooking/desk job back home being kept from the front lines because the government invested in my subsided tertiary education.

🤷🏻‍♂️

How the demographic of the youth has changed.

9 minutes ago, MORNE said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

Soldiers need to be led..👍🏻

1 hour ago, V18 said:

I've been knife-point-jacked 2 and a half times now in the last 5 years.

Why do I continue with my bike commute? I don't know. Maybe this is me proving to myself this country hasn't become the reverse jail it appears to be. Anyways.

I do approach the route a little different. The main thing is to have your head on a swivel. And learn to stop or not at some places/intersections. The time the guy took everyting I was distracted and not paying attention. He was happy to take my bike. Insurance was happy to replace it.

I don't have an issue with firearms being used to protect yourself or others from life threatening situations. But in order to do so you need to practice. A lot. And that would require some creativity once a bike (and perhaps a stumble) is involved. And I'm not sure that would be wise to try and do. Especially in an otherwise populated area. 

It is interesting to see natshoot approach this problem. I'm happy learn. For now I'm working in my garage on implanting my own wolverine claws and wrist harpoon gun. Yours truly. Not giving up on my country. 

Accidents are a concern.. ina car, motorbike, bicycle, anything basically where you might be unconscious as a result or just can’t get to your firearm and can’t stop someone else from taking it.. you could be trapped and your FA was thrown from the accident.. it happens🤦‍♂️

I don’t want to give up on this country either..

To carry or not = personal decision.   If one does decide to carry one of these North American Arms in .22 Magnum may be a good option. Very small and being single action its unlikely that the user will accidentally pull the trigger whilst fumbling for it as the hammer first needs to be cocked.

images.jpeg-13.jpg

Edited by Mikejk