Bib Shorts going Transparent after relatively little use

JBK

14 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Maybe sweat is the answer. Everybody sweats differently.

From my own perspective, I do not sweat a lot and maybe because of this, the salt affects my clothing less than someone that sweats bucketloads.  Probably clutching at straws here but I cannot see any other reason.

But then the question comes in why only one out of my four bibs and not all of them equally.  I have 4 bibs rotating every ride. 

So perhaps sweat does play a role together with the issue of not washing it the same day?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Unsaturated grease, fatty acids will degrade elastane materials. However the issue is not that it will degrade, rather that some garments last 3 months and others 20yrs before the degradation takes effect

Just got me hands onto the following snippet.

Lycra (spandex) comes in two forms as far as I know: polyester-lycra and nylon-lycra. Polyester based lycra will withstand harsh conditions whereas nylon based lycra will not.

Polyester is hydrophobic, meaning it does not absorb water. This means that when it is dyed, only the color of the dye dissolves into the fabric (not any water-base), making the dye permanent. Nylon® possesses hydrophilic qualities (that is, it absorbs water). Its inability to repel water causes the fabric to swell and ultimately weakens the molecular structure. The dyestuffs used on nylon® tend to oxidize, a reaction which is catalyzed by light. The microscopic effects range from color fading to complete degradation of the polymer matrix. This is why the colors fade in nylon-lycra® swimsuits over time, but do not fade in polyester-lycra® swimsuits (Man-Made Fiber Yearbook, August 2000).

Well with no solution in sight and the day is near its end....

Shave or wax your cracks.

Declare oscillating shaved cracks sexy.

You can thank me after the WaxAndRide

So my thinking was heading towards the contents of each individuals sweat with regards minerals, iron, magnesium, etc as perhaps some if these are more aggressive. I do not sweat bucketloads but I do take a special homeopathic metals and minerals formula to boost my naturally low levels that lead to excessive cramp. This was my thinking, but my wife does not take this supplement and nor do my mates who have recently (last 2 years) also started to suffer from the "see-through-crack" dilemma. 

Maybe I just don't drink enough beer. 

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

But then the question comes in why only one out of my four bibs and not all of them equally.  I have 4 bibs rotating every ride. 

So perhaps sweat does play a role together with the issue of not washing it the same day?

A previous poster eluded to the possible effect of tubeless sealant .... this makes the most sense when it is one out of four that "goes" before the rest.

I use assos everything and I also noticed my knee and arm warmers would only last a season.

I started using the Assos cleaning liquid and my god it makes a difference. 

cold 15 min wash with everything in separate bags and just 10-15ml of the blue assos washing liquid. dry NOT in direct sunlight

everything I own still looks and FEELS brand new 

Give it a try

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Just got me hands onto the following snippet.

Lycra (spandex) comes in two forms as far as I know: polyester-lycra and nylon-lycra. Polyester based lycra will withstand harsh conditions whereas nylon based lycra will not.

Polyester is hydrophobic, meaning it does not absorb water. This means that when it is dyed, only the color of the dye dissolves into the fabric (not any water-base), making the dye permanent. Nylon® possesses hydrophilic qualities (that is, it absorbs water). Its inability to repel water causes the fabric to swell and ultimately weakens the molecular structure. The dyestuffs used on nylon® tend to oxidize, a reaction which is catalyzed by light. The microscopic effects range from color fading to complete degradation of the polymer matrix. This is why the colors fade in nylon-lycra® swimsuits over time, but do not fade in polyester-lycra® swimsuits (Man-Made Fiber Yearbook, August 2000).

Good Info thanks.

nylon would only be used in blends to bring the material cost down. I’m sure I recall Assos used to guarantee that they used 100% DuPont Lycra(TM) but I don’t recall seeing that tag on the Mille range recently 

20 hours ago, Old school said:

Had this transparent bs happening with Ciovita Corsa bibs also the newer 2.0 version. All 5x of them which is like R10k. All happens within like 3-6months. 

Leave them a review on their website. Oh wait the review will never see the light of day. Got to protect the 5 star rating. 

A clever local clothing manufacturer will read this thread and realise there's an untapped market for shorts with a more durable lycra, even if it is at the expense of appearance. Maap makes a bibshort which is "Non-see-through function [fabric won't thin over time]" BUT be careful as there's a very dodgy Maap SA site which is not legitimate.

Agreed there is a quality issue (4 year old Ciovita's still good but 1 year old are transparent), it affects multiple brands (had the same from a year old pair of castelli's) and definitely agree it is a sweat thing and wonder if there's a genetic component as all my cycling blood relatives have the same issue.

Needless to say I have 2 pairs of outdoor bibs and about 6 pairs of see through IDT bibs

I have 3 or 4 pairs of 18-year old ASSOS bibs; i know the age since I bought them for events 3 years running ('05, '06 & '07), etc.

All are still 'solid' in the 'crack' area (did I really just type that? 😄), in other words, have not 'gone thin'..

I do not dry them in direct sunlight, but wash them WITH other clothes, NOT in a bag, and with REGULAR auto washing powder (though NOT fabric softener)...and on a REGULAR, if shortish - washing cycle...

All this other 'faffery' - stand on one leg whilst placing into German-brand washing machine / place bib into a dedicated, lambswool bag / rotate anti-clockwise 3x / use 'magic' washing powder / use a sandalwood clothes-peg when drying -  would do my head in...

My bibs were part-sponsored, meaning I do not usually afford full-priced ASSOS bibs - so I have and do look after them - yet they have had fair use in that time - and washed HEAPS of times, I cannot believe what I am reading about 12-month old (other) product not really being fit for public, er, viewing...?! 🤯 

(I also have a First Ascent bib - also no-crack-see'em...)

I was riding up one of the many climbs at Bottelary Hills and stopped to take a breather beneath a shady tree. A short while later a group of ladies come past me heading up the hill. They were being followed by a chap furiously pedalling up the hill as well. My boet and I start riding again as the chap comes past working hard to catch up to the ladies. That was when his hairy butt came into view. I lost all decorum and bellowed with laughter at this chap as I sped up to see what happened when he passed the ladies. He kept looking back in anger and annoyance at me while he just pedalled faster and caught up to the ladies. By then I was crying with laughter and had to stop riding. I'm not sure if he ever figured out what I was finding so funny. 

That was the day I got cured of the need to ever wear lycra.

On 6/11/2024 at 3:51 PM, Nihon Jitensha Shinkokai said:

I use assos everything and I also noticed my knee and arm warmers would only last a season.

I started using the Assos cleaning liquid and my god it makes a difference. 

cold 15 min wash with everything in separate bags and just 10-15ml of the blue assos washing liquid. dry NOT in direct sunlight

everything I own still looks and FEELS brand new 

Give it a try

Are you drinking assos kool-aid as well?

I had the same issue with Ciovita bibs they were between a year and   6months old contact Ciovita and send them the photos of the bibs they replaced 4 of them that was less than a year old with no problem

20240109_072526.jpg