A bit of Disc vs Rim brake advice

So this is kind of why I asked this question, didnt know why I expected it not to turn into a bit of a rumble.

I have been looking at bikes over the last week or so, and have seen some really nice slightly older bikes, circa 2014-2018 rim brake bikes, with full Ultegra groupsets, and even some Dura-Ace, with what seem like nice Carbon wheels etc ranging between R15k-R20k, but anything disc bike related even close to that price is Tiagra or 105 and alloy, bar 1 Orbea Orca, but that is too small for me. Dont get me wrong, I think the newer Tiagra and 105 groupset is great, and probably exactly what I need, but the bikes, at least new ones, are R30k and up, have not seen many/any used bikes with those groupsets for reasonable prices yet

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, betaboy said:

Back in the day if anybody mentioned you tubeless. It meant you were actually riding naked! No spares.. how times have changed! Yah meneer, truth that. 😅

apparently naked running is running without a phone/watch or HR monitor....... I wish someone told me this an hour ago.

^^^^^

This is a joke, I dont run, if you see me running I'm either being chased or running away from something, either way please help me as I wont make it more than 100m

34 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

So this is kind of why I asked this question, didnt know why I expected it not to turn into a bit of a rumble.

I have been looking at bikes over the last week or so, and have seen some really nice slightly older bikes, circa 2014-2018 rim brake bikes, with full Ultegra groupsets, and even some Dura-Ace, with what seem like nice Carbon wheels etc ranging between R15k-R20k, but anything disc bike related even close to that price is Tiagra or 105 and alloy, bar 1 Orbea Orca, but that is too small for me. Dont get me wrong, I think the newer Tiagra and 105 groupset is great, and probably exactly what I need, but the bikes, at least new ones, are R30k and up, have not seen many/any used bikes with those groupsets for reasonable prices yet

Agreed, but an alloy frame with a carbon fork, bigger tires and an upgraded (ssshhhh) carbon wheelset is good enough for most/every one of us tbh.

But again, buy what makes you think 'rad, I'm amped to hop on this puppy' as it will inspire you to ride more than 'this is sensible and a bargain'... that bike will always be Meh

Newer 105 stuff is really good. The 2nd gen hydro onwards. The initial 1st gen hoods and Sti's are bulky and look like juggernaught as well as having some weird lumps under the rubber. 

I'm busy with a project putting disc tabs on an old Nishiki lugged steel frame. It should be a fun bike to ride and if it works I will likely ride it more than my fancy carbon bike because it makes me way more excited.

Radness trumps performance for me

If I was looking for a lightweight road bike on a budget I definitely wouldn't discount rim brakes, but I'd definitely make sure the bike could take 28s. Just keep an eye on rim wear, especially if you're doing a lot of riding in wet conditions.

If versatility trumps weight, look for a steel gravel bike - I found one with Ultegra hydro for about 20k. Not light, but does everything, and meets the Wookie's radness guideline even though I'm never going to win a race on it (which I still wouldn't even with a R300k superbike).

...on some of the older Alpina's (such as mine), you can fit a 28mm front and rear without running into clearance issues; I fitted 28's for an Eroica ride, and they were noticeably better than what was on previously.

There are one or 2 older (relaxed) steel frames that will take 32mm, so I have heard. that is a pretty good width.

@Buff would likely know...

@Chadvdw67 what is your price range?
i presume you're coming from MTB side? if a road bike is a new adventure, there is NOTHING wrong with going rim brake. so many are clouded by the disc brake hype, but they'd have packed in cycling long before discs came out, if they were half as bad as people make them seem in comparison.

it also depends where you are. from recent experience, JHB roads need bigger tyres but you wont suffer on 25's in CT. a comfy frame and carbon fork are key.
i only recently sold my rim brake road bike and i am permanently on the hub scouring for another, because i dont want to ride my nice disc brake bike in the rain, to the shop, in dodgy areas etc.

if you are going rim brake, i'd swerve the fancy carbon wheels, as you dont know how much life the brake track has, and they dont work in the wet. just stick to some nice alloy wheels.

and hell, if it is awful, you just pop it back on the hub and you can probably recover your money, then wait until a disc brake option pops up.

10 hours ago, RossTopher said:

@Chadvdw67 what is your price range?
i presume you're coming from MTB side? if a road bike is a new adventure, there is NOTHING wrong with going rim brake. so many are clouded by the disc brake hype, but they'd have packed in cycling long before discs came out, if they were half as bad as people make them seem in comparison.

it also depends where you are. from recent experience, JHB roads need bigger tyres but you wont suffer on 25's in CT. a comfy frame and carbon fork are key.
i only recently sold my rim brake road bike and i am permanently on the hub scouring for another, because i dont want to ride my nice disc brake bike in the rain, to the shop, in dodgy areas etc.

if you are going rim brake, i'd swerve the fancy carbon wheels, as you dont know how much life the brake track has, and they dont work in the wet. just stick to some nice alloy wheels.

and hell, if it is awful, you just pop it back on the hub and you can probably recover your money, then wait until a disc brake option pops up.

Been looking in the R15k-R20k range, but would like to spend less if I can, I am indeed in JHB, which is why I want fatter tyres, as of yesterday though I have decided to look in the sub R10k range, stick with a rim brake bike as it will mostly live on the trainer, and then when I eventually can, will maybe get a nice carbon disc machine👌

On 7/15/2024 at 1:01 PM, Mook said:

"Rim brakes are on it's way out, like a 26'' MTB."

Says who 🤷‍♂️

Other than a small handful of entry level road bikes, you will find it a tough ask to find a rim brake bike in a bike shop. 

On 7/17/2024 at 7:10 AM, Chadvdw67 said:

Been looking in the R15k-R20k range, but would like to spend less if I can, I am indeed in JHB, which is why I want fatter tyres, as of yesterday though I have decided to look in the sub R10k range, stick with a rim brake bike as it will mostly live on the trainer, and then when I eventually can, will maybe get a nice carbon disc machine👌

Disc brakes are the future but for sub R10K and mostly for the trainer rim brakes will do just fine, again just check that the frame gives you enough clearance for the thicker tyres.  

Coming from a wheel builder perspective, the only thing wrong with rim brake wheels is the rims will eventually wear out and you'll need to rebuild the wheels with new ones ... in 5-10 years.

Yes disc wheels might be wider and can take 28c+ tyres, but any decent relatively modern rim brake bike should be able to fit 28's anyways.

You could find a used rim brake bike with awesome components for cheap and upgrade to amazing carbon wheels, and have a superb bike that will serve you well for the next 10-15 years.

That's what I'd do...

16 minutes ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

You could find a used rim brake bike with awesome components for cheap and upgrade to amazing carbon wheels, and have a superb bike that will serve you well for the next 10-15 years.

That's what I'd do...

This is exactly what I did 2 years ago, but going down a mountain pass this weekend in wet conditions at 80km/h+ I really would not have minded something that noticeably slowed down my bike when I pulled the brake levers.

Point is, there are times when disc breaks really add value to your ride experience but its not something you can upgrade to once you bought a bike with rim brakes. Fine for entry level & tight budgets but if you are going to make a substantial investment in your road ride you need to know what you are committing yourself to. And yes, you can still get good deals for carbon wheels for rim brakes but already your options are much more limited compared to disc brakes, not a trend that I see reversing.

Clearly rim brakes (like 26ers) will always have their fanboys but for everyone else remember you are buying outdated tech that you can't upgrade, that's the reason the bike with awesome components is so cheap.

Popped past a bike shop nearby me today, Linden Cycles, and happened to see one of the new Titan Valerian alloy models. A very neat alloy frame, carbon fork, full 105 and DT Swiss wheelset for 28k. Nearly made me road curious!

IMG_7211.jpeg.41f0ea4a29a54f366f384100b2506fda.jpeg

Rim brakes are still available from Shimano and Campagnolo, even SRAM if you’re willing to wait. Might not be forever but spares are there and parts at the top tier. It’s not a dead end yet. 
its not about fanboyism, OP had some specific needs that a disc brake can’t meet unless it’s rock bottom of the range which is going to be heavy and have lower quality parts that will wear out quickly 

If it's predominantly a trainer bike I would also take a wild guess that the bike won't be going out in poor weather and will remain on the trainer.

A fair weather outdoor cyclist can rock rim brakes hard without experiencing the death squeal eek eeeek braaaaaaaak of pads not engaging the rims in the wet.......

The discs squeal in the wet too. With rim brakes its carbin braking surfaces that are the main problem wrt to low braking friction. I have a set of alloy wheels for wet weather, well actually an older bike. Alloy brake tracks slow down pretty well in the wet but these type of wheels are no longer fashionable, sort of like Quarkie pants or Ray Ban sunglasses for cycling