Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

I remember when first coming to Cape Town in 2000 (Y2K). Being new in the area and still discovering the bike routes, there was no problem to cycle down Blaauwberg Road and turn left passing Killarney race track en route to Contermanskloof riding 100% solo.

Fast forward 20 years and now not on your life (or my life, rather) would you ever find me there.   :(

My how things have changed in a relatively short space of time. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when first coming to Cape Town in 2000 (Y2K). Being new in the area and still discovering the bike routes, there was no problem to cycle down Blaauwberg Road and turn left passing Killarney race track en route to Contermanskloof riding 100% solo.

Fast forward 20 years and now not on your life (or my life, rather) would you ever find me there.   :(

My how things have changed in a relatively short space of time. 

I don't even drive through dunoon anymore

I don't even drive through dunoon anymore

Same here..And last year a new informal settlement sprung up overnight to the south of Killarney and Du Noon  making that new road leading to the N7 very dodgy even in a motor vehicle..My regular rides are. now on the Cycle path between Milnerton and Melkbosch purely for safety reason . 

Same here..And last year a new informal settlement sprung up overnight to the south of Killarney and Du Noon making that new road leading to the N7 very dodgy even in a motor vehicle..My regular rides are. now on the Cycle path between Milnerton and Melkbosch purely for safety reason .

Sad part is, there have been a few incidents on that path too.

There are no more safe riding spots out and about imo. You are taking a risk everytime you exit your front gate on a bicycle.

Man, this sounds a bit like a "National Geographic" tv program.... 

"this week we'll be looking at the endangered species "urbancyclista-energetica" and the problems they face as their area of natural habitat steadily becomes smaller and smaller due to the expansion and settlement of humans. As the human population expands, the generally timid urbancyclista-energeticas find themselves looking for alternative roads, trails and jeep tracks to satisfy their desire to ride. Often, when they cross paths with each other, the result can be violent and dangerous. Sometimes even fatal.... 

Same here..And last year a new informal settlement sprung up overnight to the south of Killarney and Du Noon  making that new road leading to the N7 very dodgy even in a motor vehicle..My regular rides are. now on the Cycle path between Milnerton and Melkbosch purely for safety reason .

Dont you mean to the north of Killarney and Du Noon?

This hits close to home, on my urban route as well.

Just show, wherever you have these low-lifes in informal settlements, crime will be rife. I have been cycling past there for 4 years now. 

It looks like a dump anyway when you drive past there, okes boozing 7am in the morning, smoking who knows what and just overall a dirty place. Be safe, or take a weapon with.

I feel we as members should ask our local MTB clubs (Tygerberg MTB Club) to approach the local ward councilor and put pressure on them to get police involved and make sure areas are patrolled. 

post-5035-0-82186000-1611643714_thumb.png

Edited by Beer4Recovery

..........It looks like a dump anyway when you drive past there...............

I was shocked at what it looks like along the N7, with rubbish piles along the highway that is the gateway into Cape Town. Beautiful view of Table mountain if you look up, piles of filth if you look down............I suppose it is an analogy for Cape Town! Sadly! Why nothing is done about it though, that is just totally beyond my understanding. 

This hits close to home, on my urban route as well.

Just show, wherever you have these low-lifes in informal settlements, crime will be rife. I have been cycling past there for 4 years now. 

It looks like a dump anyway when you drive past there, okes boozing 7am in the morning, smoking who knows what and just overall a dirty place. Be safe, or take a weapon with.

I feel we as members should ask our local MTB clubs (Tygerberg MTB Club) to approach the local ward councilor and put pressure on them to get police involved and make sure areas are patrolled. 

I got fed up with people dumping crap on a corner close to where I live. 

I contacted my councillor as I got his email addy on the DA website and I hounded him. I've now got a distribution list of the councillor, his PA and a good few council employees email addy's. I no longer sit on the phone listening to "your call is important to us" I mail that distribution list and get a reference number. I've mailed them a few times now of various issues in the area and so far so good. 

I'm waiting for someone to tell me to go kruip, but until that day arrives I'll ride this wave. 

What amazes me is how these teams work? I complained about the dumping and the blocked drain. A truck arrived to fetch what was dumped, I mailed to say thank you but there's still alot of debris left over. I got a reply saying they'll dispatch another team. I mailed again asking about the blocked drain and leaking water meter. The drain got unblocked but the meter is still leaking, I asked about  it and another ticket was opened.... Ai tog, I suppose I don't work in council so not sure "how they roll" 

I got fed up with people dumping crap on a corner close to where I live. 

I contacted my councillor as I got his email addy on the DA website and I hounded him. I've now got a distribution list of the councillor, his PA and a good few council employees email addy's. I no longer sit on the phone listening to "your call is important to us" I mail that distribution list and get a reference number. I've mailed them a few times now of various issues in the area and so far so good. 

I'm waiting for someone to tell me to go kruip, but until that day arrives I'll ride this wave. 

What amazes me is how these teams work? I complained about the dumping and the blocked drain. A truck arrived to fetch what was dumped, I mailed to say thank you but there's still alot of debris left over. I got a reply saying they'll dispatch another team. I mailed again asking about the blocked drain and leaking water meter. The drain got unblocked but the meter is still leaking, I asked about  it and another ticket was opened.... Ai tog, I suppose I don't work in council so not sure "how they roll" 

I had the displeasure of working for an organization or two, one involved a hospital. I am a very productive person, if there is a task, I get it done not in a rush either but done proper. So at these places the staff complained I was working to hard and the other too fast. One floor supervisor came to talk to me and at the other place a group of fellow employees. They tried telling me how to do things. I was like you do it your way and I will do it mine. I wasnt very popular in the beginning. Thankfully I didnt work there long, found other opportunities. 

This is a general mentality of south africans, do something how and when you feel like it, I just want to get paid.

However work is work, stuff must get done, anything else can be whenever however!

I had the displeasure of working for an organization or two, one involved a hospital. I am a very productive person, if there is a task, I get it done not in a rush either but done proper. So at these places the staff complained I was working to hard and the other too fast. One floor supervisor came to talk to me and at the other place a group of fellow employees. They tried telling me how to do things. I was like you do it your way and I will do it mine. I wasnt very popular in the beginning. Thankfully I didnt work there long, found other opportunities. 

This is a general mentality of south africans, do something how and when you feel like it, I just want to get paid.

However work is work, stuff must get done, anything else can be whenever however!

At first I thought you were joking and as I read on I realised you're not joking....

I'm not good with words so the only way I can express myself is by saying WTAF?? 

So the folks that came to talk to you, were/are they well paid? Do they enjoy the job that they are in? Why do they drag there feet on a task? 

I'm amazed at the mentality hence the questions, I've had shitty jobs but I think I still did them to the best of my ability. I worked there till I found another job but never slacked off.... well not all the time and mostly when others weren't looking...

At first I thought you were joking and as I read on I realised you're not joking....

I'm not good with words so the only way I can express myself is by saying WTAF?? 

So the folks that came to talk to you, were/are they well paid? Do they enjoy the job that they are in? Why do they drag there feet on a task? 

I'm amazed at the mentality hence the questions, I've had shitty jobs but I think I still did them to the best of my ability. I worked there till I found another job but never slacked off.... well not all the time and mostly when others weren't looking...

Decently payed people. Not well payed. I think its more the matter of having a job, but not actually what you want to do vs what they would love to do. For me work is work. I have a job to do, I try my utmost to get it done.  I was in the same boat once, took my time to get from one client to the next, I wasnt payed for my travelling time and only got a percentage of my fuel consumption based on km. I only worked there 3 weeks. One was a corporate environment and one was in a factory. You know the phrase "now now".....

Just to ad, this was many years ago, but certain work has a time factor costing. I think it was based on that. 

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I had the displeasure of working for an organization or two, one involved a hospital. I am a very productive person, if there is a task, I get it done not in a rush either but done proper. 

I have a friend who works for a private company that visits and maintains private and municipal golf courses around the world, including in SA actually. He has been asked more than once over the years by the local workers to please slow down as he's setting a bad example that the council management will expect their workers to continue after he leaves. Private workers on the other hand are generally keen to learn the best/ most efficient way to do things.

Obviously not all workers in each sector are the same, so this is a generalisation.

I remember assisting a store do a annual stock-take one weekend. It ended up dragging on into the wee hours of the morning due to the staff going on a go-slow. At one point around 2am, on of the counters came to ask me why we are working so late. My response to him was because of his, and his colleagues pace. 

The penny dropped, and all of a sudden the count was wrapped up within an hour from that point.