Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

19 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

It's a roll of the dice. Some peeps have it good, others get hit.

Edit - there was some talk about crossing the N1 by the Century City train station and cycling through Kensington into Pinelands. Dunno how safe that is, haven't tried but it sounds super dodgy to me.

Why do you think it would be dodgy. I've done this before & know of people that commute daily using that route. So curios to know why you feel this way? I mean this route doesnt appear on the hotspot map either.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Schpaansemat road / M42. That stretch past the US Consulate and Pollsmoor prison. Regular bike jack spot.

IIRC, also incidents further along / north / closer to Constantia:  near to Constantia Uitsig - the infamous Taxi-knappers.

There was also an incident in the vicinity of the Alphen Hotel in the last year or so.

Some good news, not sure if reported here before:  

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/lions-head-suspect-arrested/

One suspect was arrested on the Lion’s Head section of Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) after he was found in possession of a firearm earlier this week.

In a coordinated operation during the early hours of Thursday morning, the Sea, Air, and Mountain (SEAM) special operations rangers and its canine unit, alongside the Visitor Safety Rangers, City of Cape Town (CoCT) Tourism Unit, drone contractor, and the CBCSI local security company, conducted a sting operation along Lion’s Head.
The suspect, merely 5 meters away from one of the SEAM operators with the canine, was spotted on the Jeep Track.

The quick response following the release of the SEAM canine, Leah, was pivotal in pursuing the suspect, eventually apprehending him. 

Once the suspect was detained, a knife was found in the suspects possession, as well as a realistic looking imitation firearm.

The CoCT provided valuable support, and the South African Police Service (SAPS) promptly arrived to assist in the arrest procedures.

This success showcases the valuable role of the Intel Interpretation team of the TMNPs Operations Room who played a critical role in developing this joint operation which was tried and tested for many months and has concluded in successful apprehension of the suspect.

This also marks a significant milestone in ensuring the safety of park visitors, underscoring the effectiveness of collaborative law enforcement efforts by the newly reestablished Table Mountain Safety Forum. 

Meanwhile, mayco member for Safety and Security, JP Smith has called on anyone who believes that they may have fallen prey to the suspect to come forward.

‘If any person has been attacked or threatened by a knife wielding or armed gunman, in the park over recent months, please contact the investigating officer at Cape Town Central SAPS urgently,’ he posted on Facebook.

‘If you can correctly identify the attacker in a photo lineup, we can successfully link him to additional charges.’

23 minutes ago, nonky said:

IIRC, also incidents further along / north / closer to Constantia:  near to Constantia Uitsig - the infamous Taxi-knappers.

There was also an incident in the vicinity of the Alphen Hotel in the last year or so.

A few wkends ago, on my way down OKW on spaansemaaaa just before the prison,  I caught the attention a few younsters up to no good. They quickly made their way towards the road in my direction. I saw them early and managed to turn around.

I stopped law enforcement further up the road (going over the m3 towards main road), they went to check them out.

That stretch is def a zone you need to be wakker for the bike jacking taxis and pedestrians.

16 hours ago, Wannabe said:

I've heard unconfirmed reports of a bikejacking on Helshoogte today, at the corner/turn after Neil Ellis. 3 perps involved. 

This is likely to be what happened to me. I rode over helshoogte yesterday and 3 guys were standing around on the side of the road, just after Neil Ellis. As I got closer one guy ran at me and kept grabbing at my pocket, presumably to get my phone. I swatted his hand away a couple of times and stepped on the pedals. He chased for a while and then gave up. I stopped once I was about 50m away and stopped to look back. The other two guys that were with the original chaser said "He's just playing around" or something like that. Then they walked into the bushes. To be fair, it didn't look like it was part of their plan to chase me - it definitely wasn't some orchestrated attack and no weapons were involved. If only one of them had gotten in my way I wouldn't have been able to ride off to safety. But as haphazard as it was, I'm pretty sure the chaser would have taken my phone and/or wallet if he had gotten the upper hand. It's a busy road and while this had all happened a vehicle had slowed down on the other side of the road to see what was unfolding, as it was clear that I was trying to ride away from somebody. He drove off once I carried on pedaling uphill. I then remembered 2 riders behind me about 500m back, so I doubled back down the hill to ride with them past the same area and warn them of what had just happened. I'm guessing they then mentioned it on whatsapp groups and the news spread. Unless there was a more serious incident that I don't know about.

Anyway, for the record, this is what it was in my opinion: an opportunistic and disorganized attempt at theft by a seemingly unarmed tik-kop. Since the advent of whatsapp and other forms of social media, it's very hard to know if crime is increasing or just our ability to hear about crime that's gotten so much faster. Assuming the report you @Wannabe heard was what happened to me, you did perfectly well to call it "an unconfirmed report of a bikejacking", and it's the right thing to do to let people know/spread the word. But it's also very easy to see how one could see the words "bikejacking on helshoogte" from 5 different whatsapp groups and really have it put a negative spin on your day.

In truth I don't really know what to make of it. I ended up having a great ride to Franschoek and slept like a log last night, so clearly was not especially traumatized. But at the same time, the next time I ride past any dodgy looking guys and that little voice in my head that says "Just be careful here" that I've always silenced in that past and written off as paranoia... well it will no longer be silenced now, it's a really pity. 10 years of riding in stellenbosch and this is the first real "incident". I always ride solo and I think the fallout of this will be that I will ride in groups more, which I probably should be doing anyway. 

3 hours ago, milky4130 said:

Why do you think it would be dodgy. I've done this before & know of people that commute daily using that route. So curios to know why you feel this way? I mean this route doesnt appear on the hotspot map either.

That part of town ignites my Spidey senses. I'm sure it's fine but I just don't feel comfortable around there.

2 hours ago, nonky said:

Another road that makes me on edge. I came down OKW a few years ago and opted to pedal up Main Road rather than go that route. Coin toss outcome either way. 

Yesterday morning at 7.30 my friend got mugged on Hout Bay main road at graveyard towards the IY circle.  So not far from the Hout Bay police station  He was stopped by somebody pretending to cross the road and he was then descended upon by a large group.  They hit him over the head with a metal pole.  His helmet saved him.  They took his bike and phone.  Once bike and phone was taken the assaillants left but one of them came back with a machete/ panga and took another swipe at him aimed at his neck.  Luckily the blow didn't connect properly.

Incident has been reported to police and case has been opened.

Stay away from the Graveyard near the circle at IY in Hout Bay.  It's not safe.  Rather go down Valley Drive/ World of Birds.

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Another road that makes me on edge. I came down OKW a few years ago and opted to pedal up Main Road rather than go that route. Coin toss outcome either way. 

Depends on the time of day. I regularly ride down the hill, but no longer come back up that way, partly because I wouldn't be able to ride away fast enough but mostly because the muggers generally hang out on the American Embassy side of the road so they can escape back into Westlake across the bridge over the wetland. And I think there is a camera on the fence now, monitoring the comings and goings there.

I've seen taxis parked at the old flower farm next to the furthest Tokai Forest entrance, so if there's ever another attack from a taxi along Spaanschemat Rd, it would be worth asking SAPS to check there.

9 hours ago, BJH said:

Yesterday morning at 7.30 my friend got mugged on Hout Bay main road at graveyard towards the IY circle.  So not far from the Hout Bay police station  He was stopped by somebody pretending to cross the road and he was then descended upon by a large group.  They hit him over the head with a metal pole.  His helmet saved him.  They took his bike and phone.  Once bike and phone was taken the assaillants left but one of them came back with a machete/ panga and took another swipe at him aimed at his neck.  Luckily the blow didn't connect properly.

Stay away from the Graveyard near the circle at IY in Hout Bay.  It's not safe.  Rather go down Valley Drive/ World of Birds.

Is your friend's name Dave ??

On 11/28/2023 at 5:14 PM, ChrisF said:

What are the real user experience differences between the Garmin Varia RTL 515 and RCT715 ?

Any leads for good specials .... 

EDIT - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.cyclistshub.com/garmin-varia-rtl515-vs-rct715/&ved=2ahUKEwjym9_jgeeCAxXOQUEAHd4pAe8QFnoECBYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3qkdU3TFoXbaMGW0yg7Wrq

The battery life of the RCT715 is a hurdle for my longer rides .... (my bank manager breaths again)

Feedback time -

Did my second ride with the Varia 515 today.

First ride I turned off the audible alarm after 15km.  

I am happy staying left in the yellow line.  When the line ends it is most usefull to glance down and see how many vehicles, and at which distances, are following.

Next two rides were on the mountain bike, without the Varia.  Doing some 7km on tar to the trails.  WOW !!!  I was missing the Varia !

Did a longer road ride today.  The Varia is like a super rear view mirror.  It truly is a nice tool 👍

On a few tight spots I used the Varia, then waved to the driver as they were catching up.  Each time they passed wide, and waved back.

Yellow lane sections I ignore the Varia, and just enjoy the ride and the views.

The way the flash rate changes as vehicles cartch up must improve visibilty drastically 👍👍👍

The Varia was on for almost 7 hours, no low battery alarms.

Still need to check the manual to confirm if there is a way to check the Varia battery percentage 

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Still need to check the manual to confirm if there is a way to check the Varia battery percentage 

On an Edge the Varia battery percentage is in the Status section

image.png.5e62b814dfabffe671109cce4981e242.pngimage.png.0002d8394ead7c87b0f9ae4b381a4d49.png

I've found "Day flash" lasts absolute hours (have never had it run flat despite 10 hour rides).

Night flash goes flat much quicker.

image.png.3489ff5049a585caea83b32f1938d3e5.png

Edited by MongooseMan

1 minute ago, MongooseMan said:

On an Edge the Varia battery percentage is in the Status section

image.png.5e62b814dfabffe671109cce4981e242.pngimage.png.0002d8394ead7c87b0f9ae4b381a4d49.png

I've found "Day flash" lasts absolute hours (have never had it run flat despite 10 hour rides).

Night flash goes flat much quicker.

image.png.3489ff5049a585caea83b32f1938d3e5.png

Will see if I can load the Varia battery to my second screen.  My Edge battery is already there 👍

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Feedback time -

Did my second ride with the Varia 515 today.

First ride I turned off the audible alarm after 15km.  

I am happy staying left in the yellow line.  When the line ends it is most usefull to glance down and see how many vehicles, and at which distances, are following.

Next two rides were on the mountain bike, without the Varia.  Doing some 7km on tar to the trails.  WOW !!!  I was missing the Varia !

Did a longer road ride today.  The Varia is like a super rear view mirror.  It truly is a nice tool 👍

On a few tight spots I used the Varia, then waved to the driver as they were catching up.  Each time they passed wide, and waved back.

Yellow lane sections I ignore the Varia, and just enjoy the ride and the views.

The way the flash rate changes as vehicles cartch up must improve visibilty drastically 👍👍👍

Add the My Bike Radar Traffic data field from connect IQ, adds the nearest approaching vehicle’s speed and distance, nice to have. 
https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/c5d949c3-9acb-4e00-bb2d-c3b871e9e733

re: tones for approaching vehicles, the “Tri-tones” will make you want to swerve in front of a car within 10min, but I find the single tone nice to have, that way you know a car is coming before you hear the sound of it approaching otherwise it kinda defeats the point of the radar’s early warning. 

On 12/18/2023 at 1:35 PM, BJH said:

A top female cyclist was attacked in Hout Bay yesterday and left unconscious next to the roadway, MO sounded exactly the same as above. I believe she is okay, injury wise. The perps stole a Trek Checkpoint and all accessories.  I am not sure of the exact location or time but assume for now it was the same area. Be very careful out there folks. 

Edited by MarcW
typo