Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

19 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

I don't understand why people still use it? It's like pulling a lion's tail and wondering why it ****ed you

Ja wragtig. I get that we have a right to cycle where we want, but I seriously don't understand riding in KNOWN risky areas.

Like I won't be cycling around Dunoon and the Contermans area as much as I'd want to. That'd just be foolish. 

Cutting off your nose to spite your face is generally considered I'll advice.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Jbr said:

https://bikehub.co.za/stolen-bikes/2415/bianchi-arcadex-gravel-bike-2022

another one… this is getting too big how long are these ******* going to be allowed to operate ? Isn’t there any residents in the area that cycle and can pressure local security companies to do something about it ?

I am from afar but think this is where PPA should put their weight behind doing something (more?) for cyclist safety

I am of the opinion, that we as cyclists and local community approach a local security company and incentivise them to catch this syndicate, I am sure we could raise 10k easily between all of us, then offer 10k per arrest. These local priveteers would lap this up quickly.... we could save our neighbourhood and get the trash out and show them we won't stand for it, it's this or will just become victims and prisoners in our own backyard. I just want to ride my bike why must I worry about being mugged, it's just nonsensical.   

56 minutes ago, mazambaan said:

I am from afar but think this is where PPA should put their weight behind doing something (more?) for cyclist safety

the owner and post of the bike so i assume the guy that was involved in the incident is an X PPA EXCO member, think he served as CEO not to long ago.

i also so a post from the NHW in the area warning the cyclist on it...

my post referring to the Spaanchemacht incidents

I am of the opinion, that we as cyclists and local community approach a local security company and incentivise them to catch this syndicate, I am sure we could raise 10k easily between all of us, then offer 10k per arrest. These local priveteers would lap this up quickly.... we could save our neighbourhood and get the trash out and show them we won't stand for it, it's this or will just become victims and prisoners in our own backyard. I just want to ride my bike why must I worry about being mugged, it's just nonsensical.   

18 hours ago, MORNE said:

i know it's not always viable but maybe consider riding on the opposite side of the road through this hotspot area? i know it's frowned upon but i'd rather be alive than right. At least then you can see any and all taxis coming from the front and it also puts you on the "wrong" side of the car should they still try and approach you from the rear  and open the sliding door to get you.

Not a  a bad idea at all. As long as other cyclists understand the reason for it.

3 hours ago, Meezo said:

as received 

IMG-20221117-WA0003.jpg

This bull**** about shift changes really gets to me! It's an easy solve... stagger the shift changes so that criminals don't have a nice window of opportunity! Shift change is not an acceptable excuse for a service not being delivered. Rant over.

7 minutes ago, wolver said:

This bull**** about shift changes really gets to me! It's an easy solve... stagger the shift changes so that criminals don't have a nice window of opportunity! Shift change is not an acceptable excuse for a service not being delivered. Rant over.

yeah, one shift decides to leave early, next shift decides to start late and all of a sudden there is an hour plus of nobody on shift.

I'm busy fighting with my security company at the moment. We had an incident a few weeks back where I disturbed someone stealing my neighbours outdoor beams. He is with the same security company, I called them, they first wanted to verify if my neighbour was indeed a customer of theirs.

Then they never bothered to send someone around to check if everything was ok. A different security company responded to a message I put on NHW group, followed up with us the entire night and even went hunting for cars that matched my description.

When I mentioned this on the NHW group someone from my security company sends me a personal message being very snarky.

I was about to vote with my wallet, but it looks like we could be moving house soon so not going to bother.

On 10/20/2022 at 1:22 PM, CapSizer said:

On the topic of the skollies in the area of the bike path through Woodstock, can anybody who has been through there in the last two weeks report on whether or not things have changed at all?

Went through there on my own. Didn't know the area and sort of accidentally ended up there, even though I was actively avoiding it.

Dodgy as hell. The infrastructure is in good condition, but lots of unsavoury-looking characters. Think I broke my speed record trying to get out of there.

Edited by Jan D

1 minute ago, cadenceblur said:

I'm assuming that this is not the section from liesbeek down the cycle Lane 

Plan to use that route when I resume my commute into the CBD, 

no. it's mostly still people who for whatever reason use the cycle lanes between lower church and cbd on the highway's side by the myciti route. Or to the other way to milnerton. YOU CANT RIDE THERE. Not even in a small group. They are brazen enopugh to take on 2 or 3 cyclists. 

BUT...there have also been incidents early morning on Albert/Strand just past the exchange where it gets a bit more quiet and industrial, there by Gympie...You have to be extra vigilant at the two spots where the foot bridges go over to the train stations/rails. They use them as escape routes and if you have ever been to the dumping site in woodstock...you'll know how dodge that side is and how easy it is to disappear once there. 

9 hours ago, Cafe Racer said:

Great idea, but people don't have money to keep coughing up 10k per arrest. Catch 15 muggers, who's putting up that money consistently over and over. The landscape unfortunately lends its way to muggers, 1 gets caught, the other one takes their place and repeat. 

12 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

I'm assuming that this is not the section from liesbeek down the cycle Lane 

Plan to use that route when I resume my commute into the CBD, 

No, section that goes through Paardeneiland along the MyCiti route. Do not use it.

Edited by Jan D

3 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Great idea, but people don't have money to keep coughing up 10k per arrest. Catch 15 muggers, who's putting up that money consistently over and over. The landscape unfortunately lends its way to muggers, 1 gets caught, the other one takes their place and repeat. 

they get caught....(twice in my case), handed over to police, all the chit that gets thrown at the wall to see what sticks eventually falls to the ground and through the cracks....and they get released a few days later because i presume they don't want to feed them or fill out a form.

they don't care about privileged bastards' bicycles.