Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"We pay a good couple of hundred for activity permits. What is our money being used for if not for our safety?" he asked.

Oh you know, just conserving a National Park right next to a major city...

Sorry to hear about the ordeal though, shitty people.

These are the same guys that robber me!!! SAP are useless.... we could so easily catch these guys.

How man more times must this happen??? good lord we need to take the Law into our own hands. This is the 5th mugging/bike jacking on this path...Me included!!!

Not according to Merle Collins!! 

"Table Mountain National Parks spokesperson Merle Collins said Plum Pudding Hill is not a high priority area as the incident is the first recorded in this vicinity.

"We cover 25 000 ha – we simply don’t have the capacity to be at every access route," she said.

she clearly hasn't done her homework or doesn't give a Sh#t

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Attackers-stole-my-love-of-the-mountain-cyclist-20151102

Not according to Merle Collins!! 

"Table Mountain National Parks spokesperson Merle Collins said Plum Pudding Hill is not a high priority area as the incident is the first recorded in this vicinity.

"We cover 25 000 ha – we simply don’t have the capacity to be at every access route," she said.

she clearly hasn't done her homework or doesn't give a Sh#t

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Attackers-stole-my-love-of-the-mountain-cyclist-20151102

Plumpudding hill and the area surrounding Rhodes Memorial has been a hot spot for bike jackings for years. In the past month alone, 3 has happened that I know of. One with a knife and 2 with guns. If SANParks don't know about it they do not deserve to be the custodians of our mountain.

As mentioned on the other thread, if SAN Parks do improve the number of personal, it will only be during office hours, which is really useless to all of us that have a job.

I won't pay for an activity permit, if they don't provide adequate policing when most of us actually undertake the activity.

Are cyclists allowed to ride through the harbour along Duncan Road to get into the CBD?

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Duncan+Rd,+Cape+Town/@-33.9177793,18.439202,15.38z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x1dcc5d92f596e21f:0xb0152f891665f80f

I notice quite a bit of activity on Strava along that stretch, so it seems people are doing it.

Seems a lot safer than going behind Paarden Eiland and through Salt River + Woodstock along the cycle path.

Are cyclists allowed to ride through the harbour along Duncan Road to get into the CBD?

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Duncan+Rd,+Cape+Town/@-33.9177793,18.439202,15.38z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x1dcc5d92f596e21f:0xb0152f891665f80f

I notice quite a bit of activity on Strava along that stretch, so it seems people are doing it.

Seems a lot safer than going behind Paarden Eiland and through Salt River + Woodstock along the cycle path.

Port authorities will stop you if they can. 

Plumpudding hill and the area surrounding Rhodes Memorial has been a hot spot for bike jackings for years. In the past month alone, 3 has happened that I know of. One with a knife and 2 with guns. If SANParks don't know about it they do not deserve to be the custodians of our mountain.

They are increasing the number of rangers in Cape Point to stop road bikers riding on a tar road, thats the real threat. Not muggers with guns.

No wonder our endangered animals are in trouble. The same lady probably has not heard of any rhinos being poached this year either.

I am not a fan of TMNP at all but I am not sure that they have an obligation to provide security to mountain visitors. There are signs at every entrance proclaiming that you enter at own risk. Obviously it makes no business sense to have people mugged so no doubt they do provide more than adequate security at tourist hots spots like Cape Point. 

That said, TMNP's handling of activity permits, pricing and such like for a range of activities that we have practiced on our mountain for years is utterly dismal. The latest increase for MTB permits is just another slap in the face.

I get hot under the collar just thinking about it.

Oh you know, just conserving a National Park right next to a major city...

Sorry to hear about the ordeal though, shitty people.

Can't agree with that, according to TMNP own website:

Funding

The TMNP has various sources of funds the primary agencies being South African National Parks (SANParks) and the City of Cape Town.

When the TMNP was established in 1998 it was funded internationally by the Washington-based Global Environmental Facility (GEF). This was a six-year tranche of funding dedicated to start-up costs and alien clearing. Another source of early funding was the French Fonds Francais Pour L'Environnement (FFEM).

Now both tranches of international funding have been successfully spent and the Park has moved onto funding projects through a three-year Expanded Public Works grant from the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism.

Working for Water, an Expanded Public Works Programme administered by the Department of Water Affairs and Forestry (DWAF) funds the TMNP's alien clearing initiatives.

If I am paying for an mtb specific permit, I beleive I am entitled (yes, that word) to an mtb specific service. That is certainly not offered by mtb specific trails, so perhaps it should take the form of mtb specific security?

As for cost, also from TMNP website re revenue generated:

Economic Facts and Figures

A recent study (2004) by UCT’s Graduate School of Business (GSB) shows that over the last six financial years, TMNP has made a contribution of R377 million to SA’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of which around R132 million as gone into the Western Cape province.

It wouldn't take much of that R132 million to make the mountain a lot safer for everybody.

But, the fact that TMNP refers to a study from 2004 as "recent" is a pretty good indicator that they may be a little out of touch, and very low on will, to do anything constructive.

Unless you have a permit i.e. you work in the area or are a member of RCYC, the Port Authority should not let you onto the access road.

There's a strong possibility you could get mashed by some pretty large vehicles hurtling along that stretch of road.

The cycle path is a lot safer. More cyclists travel this way without incident than most people think.

TMNP are so out of touch they can't even provide figures for how many MTB specific activity permits are sold p/a. Currently it must be about nil of course.:-)

Funnily enough I posted that some NZ towns financed MTB trails to attract tourists and SA should do the same.

Some clevva hubber told me SA was not NZ. Africa wins again.

Funnily enough I posted that some NZ towns financed MTB trails to attract tourists and SA should do the same.

Some clevva hubber told me SA was not NZ. Africa wins again.

I think the City and others  would pay but on TM the curse that is TMNP prevents meaningful progress being made.