Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

I've tried that exact route every now and again over the years, except of course turning onto Voortrekker once in Maitland and I don't think it is a viable alternative. Especially in the early hours. Road surface also very bad in sections and full of debry. Don't want to be fixing a puncture at 6.30am in Maitland.

If I do a peninsula loop and come back via southern suburbs then I take Alexandra road past Vincent Pallotti and then Maitland, Koeberg interchange. By that time its busy enough to feel alot less dodge.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/29/2024 at 11:45 AM, V18 said:

Not to resurrect the "carry" thread. I did some reading around what would it take to prevent getting stabbed. (besides not getting stabbed). Since temu came up and has been reading my private messages, some, ahem, interesting products have been popping up. From NSFW recommendations to cycling kit. In between there has been the occasional "stab proof shirt". On further digging. It's all (usually) BS once the blade in question is an okapi.

Some "research" later. (I'm studying for exams and procrasting during breaks) Small (3.81mm x 0.9mm) ring stainless steel butchers maille is really good at preventing organ spillage from the average blade at average forces.

In comes alibaba. 

I drop a few questions to a few companies. Get a few quotes for test material. Fully expect to pay school fees in online shopping.

Stuff arrives.  Mind blown.

Relatively lightweight, breathable (it's fine welded stainless steel ring mesh maille), vest shaped (I gave a template to them) and completely concealed under normal or cycling gear. Did a few gel block (vrou se naaice leer bank) okapi tests. Broke the blade eventually. (Leer bank is ok BTW. And she don't read the hub.)

Just did an order now for a slightly tailored and lighter one for myself since I think I'll actually wear it on my dodge commute. And what's 1.5kg on the back of pre metabolic syndrome. 

Do I think this is a solution? No. My neck and head is still very open and a blunt assault and bicycle spoke will still do the exact same damage. I'm still pepperspraying and running as first prize.  

But, I think it provides a reliable a way of reducing the chances of getting a chest/gut knipmes wound and spending a few days with a chest drain or a few months with a stoma bag. Especially if you commute through dodgy areas.

Definitely not for my usual trail rides. Less is best.

Anyways. Enough procrastination posting. Book time again. 

Got the new vest. Light. Comfy. Breathes like it isn't there. Can highly recommend to those taking commutes through knife infested areas. DM me if you're interested. Will send sellers contact details on. 

The Koeberg Interchange gives me the heebie-jeebies even when driving the big fat 4x4, simply because it squeezes too many idiotic drivers, trucks and cars through too complicated and narrow twisting funnels. You won't catch me there on a bicycle!

3 hours ago, DJR said:

The Koeberg Interchange gives me the heebie-jeebies even when driving the big fat 4x4, simply because it squeezes too many idiotic drivers, trucks and cars through too complicated and narrow twisting funnels. You won't catch me there on a bicycle!

This ☝🏻

Cyclist, 17, dies in freak accident

I take issue with this headline, it was not a "freak" accident, you are supposed to look at what traffic is coming your way BEFORE opening your car door. The way the headline is worded absolves the motorist of all responsibility. 

RIP to the cyclist and strength to the family.

7 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I take issue with this headline, it was not a "freak" accident, you are supposed to look at what traffic is coming your way BEFORE opening your car door. The way the headline is worded absolves the motorist of all responsibility. 

Agreed, having been a victim of similar driver action.

Reminded how fortunate I am to still be here.

RIP young man. 🙏

11 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Horrible way to go! The news24 headline is also similar saying cyclist crashed into stationary vehicle. 

I had a crash a year ago while riding in cycle lane slowly as it was near a school Im always cautious something like that would happen. Next moment a stationary bakkie in the road passenger door swings open.. head against pavement is your destiny. Slowing down is not enough there is absolutely nothing you can do even to a slow rolling speed.

A door edge and 20km/h momentum puts quite a bit of pressure on a finger as the sole contact point. Few surgeries later and my finger was saved from being almost severed. 

The bike slid under the bakkie and driver just casually drove over bike destroying it completely after being the cause of the accident.

All I can say is be extra cautious. Our roads are super dangerous in so many ways.

truly tragic. many of us have had close shaves like this, and it's a sickening experience.

i was thinking about the headline and words in the article last night. While we likely wont all agree, spare a thought for the person on the other end here (i can't begin to imagine their mental state right now). while we can plug the cyclist and motorist narrative, and people on bikes are regularly dehumanized, a bunch of peoples lives have been immeasurably altered by this.

lets be considered in how we voice our thoughts, keep our pitchforks in the shed, and focus on the fact that a family lost their kid.

Absolutely gutwrenching!

23 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

truly tragic. many of us have had close shaves like this, and it's a sickening experience.

i was thinking about the headline and words in the article last night. While we likely wont all agree, spare a thought for the person on the other end here (i can't begin to imagine their mental state right now). while we can plug the cyclist and motorist narrative, and people on bikes are regularly dehumanized, a bunch of peoples lives have been immeasurably altered by this.

lets be considered in how we voice our thoughts, keep our pitchforks in the shed, and focus on the fact that a family lost their kid.

Absolutely gutwrenching!

Yes horrific for all involved 

However it is not a freak accident at all. It is commonplace and one of the hazards we know we face as riders. What is unusual about it is that this poor young man was killed. There are countless others lucky enough to walk away with the standard collarbone and shoulder injuries.

Totally avoidable by simply opening the car door with the hand furthest away from the door as per "Dutch door".

1 minute ago, Mamil said:

Yes horrific for all involved 

However it is not a freak accident at all. It is commonplace and one of the hazards we know we face as riders. What is unusual about it is that this poor young man was killed. There are countless others lucky enough to walk away with the standard collarbone and shoulder injuries.

Totally avoidable by simply opening the car door with the hand furthest away from the door as per "Dutch door".

I cant recall which manufacturer it is (possibly Volvo), but there is a vehicle maker that has added a safety measure that wont let you open the door if it detects oncoming vehicle approaching from behind.

Carte Blanche (the news documentary show on MNet at 7pm on Sundays) has a doccie this coming Sunday on cycling safety. 

Edited by openmind
Spelling

Ugh. Getting doored is one of my worst fears. So much so that when going past roadside parking spots I often stay in the middle of the left lane.

I sometimes wonder what the best thing would be if I am forced to accept the cold embrace of a door. Get nicked on the outer edge and maybe get flung into passing traffic or turn into the nook of the door angle/car and take the full sudden decel?