Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

Too quiet along there at that time and these guys are brave after partaking in Alc or tik.When quiet rather ride on the bus lane( more space) or take FW De Klerk

my anger stems from the fact that it has been patrolled consistently for about a week or two since the last attack/ PPA intervention....and now it is just back to usual once the powers that be decide they showed face long enough to look good. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

probably around 3-4pm. if I go by the time he sent a warning to the rest of the guys returning on the group. And the usual spot (see below)....

I once had an 'unexpected sprint surge' through Stellies a few seasons ago and the skollie could only brush my gilet with his grab.

Pity about the Steri Stumpie though. I would've cried myself to sleep.

my anger stems from the fact that it has been patrolled consistently for about a week or two since the last attack/ PPA intervention....and now it is just back to usual once the powers that be decide they showed face long enough to look good. 

That is exactly a repeat of how they dealt with it over the last few years. Mugging.....patrols.....no mugging......stop patrols........mugging........patrols........etc etc

They don't deal with the real problem - which is broken fences, letting criminals in and out easily + a whole nest of undesirables living next to it on city and sanral land + never catching the actual criminals, prosecuting and locking them up. 

Morning,

I would like to start commuting from Muizenberg to Salt River Circle.

Not too keen on just going up Main Road. I road cycle and MTB.

The crux is between Constantia and Salt River.

Is it safe to do the Constantia Nek - above Kirstenbosch - to UCT off-road path by yourself in the mornings and evenings?

Is there anyway of "dropping down" from just past Rhodes Mem to Salt River without cross Dewaal Drive, or is the only crossing the pedestrian bridge at UCT / Windmill Cottage?

All advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Cheers.

I do the muizenberg(marine estate) to obs commute (sporadically)

I ride the M5. Fully aware that it is not allowed, but by far the safest from a road/traffic perspective. When traffic is busy it just backs up and you fly past on the really wide shoulder. Just need to keep your wits on you when crossing the turn offs/bridges. I have met fellow commuters who have done it for decades.

I would NOT currently go through lavender hill/military road, things are too hectic there currently - I try not to even drive there.

That is exactly a repeat of how they dealt with it over the last few years. Mugging.....patrols.....no mugging......stop patrols........mugging........patrols........etc etc

They don't deal with the real problem - which is broken fences, letting criminals in and out easily + a whole nest of undesirables living next to it on city and sanral land + never catching the actual criminals, prosecuting and locking them up. 

Same with Table Mountain - Front page newspaper photos and big publicity showing horses, dogs, bakkies and even ebikes. Lots of applause and then it fades away again

I think that route you mentioned is your best bet. M3 and De Waal isn't very forgiving when it comes to to riding and crossing over to the other side...

Same with Table Mountain - Front page newspaper photos and big publicity showing horses, dogs, bakkies and even ebikes. Lots of applause and then it fades away again

Tokai is the only place with consistent patrols/monitoring.

And that is only because a couple of complete raving lunatics are prepared to put the time and effort in.

Tokai is the only place with consistent patrols/monitoring.

And that is only because a couple of complete raving lunatics are prepared to put the time and effort in.

With a huge amount of effort and not much fanfare, but great results  :thumbup:

I do the muizenberg(marine estate) to obs commute (sporadically)

I ride the M5. Fully aware that it is not allowed, but by far the safest from a road/traffic perspective. When traffic is busy it just backs up and you fly past on the really wide shoulder. Just need to keep your wits on you when crossing the turn offs/bridges. I have met fellow commuters who have done it for decades.

I would NOT currently go through lavender hill/military road, things are too hectic there currently - I try not to even drive there.

I feel the same way about the M5 being a decent road to cycle on because of that wide shoulder. I haven't been on there for a very long time because of a conversation I had with a club member but anyway.... If I get the chance to commute again then I'll probably use it. Less stress going through Claremont, Rondebosch with traffic and aunties (and some uncles) putting on make up, posting on FB or having breakfast whilst driving ....

Screw the cycle lane...wont use it ever again

I don't cycle in the Table View/West Coast direction often because I feel obligated to use the cycle lane and don't really fancy it.

Hopefully motorists will also understand the choice to stay on the road now as a result of safety concerns.

I don't cycle in the Table View/West Coast direction often because I feel obligated to use the cycle lane and don't really fancy it.

Hopefully motorists will also understand the choice to stay on the road now as a result of safety concerns.

I get your point if you're referring to the section through Paarden Island. But once a cyclist gets to the junk market tariff lights, I'd rather be taking my chances of a  mugging all the way through to Melkbosstrand on the cycle path, than the chance of being struck by a vehicle on the road. Both cycle lane and busy roads are in full view of each other for 20 km's.  

I get your point if you're referring to the section through Paarden Island. But once a cyclist gets to the junk market tariff lights, I'd rather be taking my chances of a  mugging all the way through to Melkbosstrand on the cycle path, than the chance of being struck by a vehicle on the road. Both cycle lane and busy roads are in full view of each other for 20 km's.  

nobody is referring to any of the cycle lanes from the market onwards to Melkbos. thos are as suburban as you'll get that side of town and fine, its the bit from the flea market to Woodstock thats become a guaranteed mugging hotspot....and if you dont feel like braving the N1 to cut that bit out...then that means no more city to Melkbos rides.

Okes, I don't know CT very well but am starting to plan a tour from JHB to CT for next year, and as you're chatting about CT routes maybe I could ask for some advice? My current thinking is on the last day of my tour to ride from Darling to the Waterfront. I hear mention of Melkbos and see that's nearby...

Any thoughts on a sensible route to get from Darling to the Waterfront? It'll probably be on a Sunday if that helps. 

Okes, I don't know CT very well but am starting to plan a tour from JHB to CT for next year, and as you're chatting about CT routes maybe I could ask for some advice? My current thinking is on the last day of my tour to ride from Darling to the Waterfront. I hear mention of Melkbos and see that's nearby...

Any thoughts on a sensible route to get from Darling to the Waterfront? It'll probably be on a Sunday if that helps. 

Contact some Cape Town (Tableview) based clubs and they could ride with you all the way into the Waterfront? It would mean a safety in numbers scenario? If the dates are good, I would defo be up for a ride like that?

yea as mentioned you'llprobably be fine all the way from Darling to melkbos and then trough to milnerton. from milnerton into town you'd want to avoid the cycle lane that goes trough paarden island and woodstock if you are alone. most peeps just ride on the 'n1' there as it is not a highway yet. still need to be careful though. above advice would make riding through the cycle lanes all the way to waterfront fine. they target lone cyclists mostly. Melkbos to milnerton is defo NOT dodge so dont stress about that part.

edit:Also...you'll be riding to via Yzerfontein and then R27/Marine drive along the coast. Don't be silly and shortcut via Mamre/Atlantis lol

Edited by morneS555

the red part is best avoided while on your own. The green bit all the way up to Melkbos is fine

post-64325-0-98227000-1565690463_thumb.jpg

Edited by morneS555