Joburg danger areas

Evan Andreou

I've ridden more or less that route ie from Muldersdrift, Randfontein, Carletonville, Fochville, Parys. All on the road and all was 'safe'. I've also driven an alternative route to Parys for a future solo ride.

PM me if you wish and I'll ty and dig out routes and am happy to share or chat about them.

Thank you very much. PM is on its way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like someone was bike-jacked on the Spruit this morning by 2 guys with knives.

Apparently one of the thieves was seen riding the stolen bike shortly afterwards by two other riders. They followed him and he dumped the bike and ran.

BIke and rider should be reunited later today because the stolen bike had contact info on it.

• 1 month later...

Problem with fog is that it gets everyone.  Both have pros and cons.  

you want to get all of them  :clap:  :thumbup:  :w00t:

Swat Ops Peppersprey Fog  has belt clip and you can get Velcro strap and put on arm so is always with you ,as first thing they pull you off bike and away from your spray (Fog you do not need to aim and effect is better then D/stream( which ONLY effect your eyes)

Hi All,

www.cyclesafe.co.za

This product is the birth child of exactly what this forum chats about. We face the reality that we may be mugged while out riding. Unfortunately the pepper spray in my back pocket wasn't accessible to me at the time I needed it. That is where this product came from. 

Would love to know what you all think. 

post-11349-0-89731300-1575302601_thumb.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Riding west and south:

I'm planning a longish ride solo in the next few weeks. I intend to ride down Witkoppen and turn towards Muldersdrift. From there I will ride on toward Randfontein. From Randfontein I intend to ride to Fochville and finally on to Parys.

I am open to route suggestions but really would like to know if there are any known danger areas along the proposed route. I'm quite willing to share KML/KMZ/GPX of the proposed route.

Any and all help welcome.

Thanks.

did many solo rides in prep for munga. pop me a pm and i can share the  mtb routes. 6 hour 8 hour 10 hour. also search ridewithgps. many of them are there

did many solo rides in prep for munga. pop me a pm and i can share the  mtb routes. 6 hour 8 hour 10 hour. also search ridewithgps. many of them are there

I'd avoid Hendrik Potgieter if possible. 

• 2 months later...

Is anyone aware of another attack in the Delta Park this morning. eBlockwatch (i am not a member of this group) reported a stabbed and concussed rider from a group that was attacked by 3 thugs.

Heresay until i can confirm.

Is anyone aware of another attack in the Delta Park this morning. eBlockwatch (i am not a member of this group) reported a stabbed and concussed rider from a group that was attacked by 3 thugs.

Heresay until i can confirm.

I don't know of one this morning... and can't imagine too many people would have been riding in the pouring rain. But there have been two in the last week that I know of...

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I was attacked on Friday, 7 August 2020 at 07:00 at the top of Emmarentia, along the Marks Park fence. 

Two of the buggers with knives. They only managed to get away with a crappy cell phone and a bomb or two. They hid the bike, hoping to come back for it, but we managed to find it.

I got a weekend away at Milpark Hospital, stab wound to the leg and broken Clavicle and Scapular, as I tried to cycle down that embankment (dont ask me why, not the smartest move).

I was cycling alone, so guess I had it coming. But I just wanted to put it out there. Please be careful, from what I am seeing there is a lot of crime at the moment, so be safe out there.

Hi all, I was attacked on Friday, 7 August 2020 at 07:00 at the top of Emmarentia, along the Marks Park fence. 

Two of the buggers with knives. They only managed to get away with a crappy cell phone and a bomb or two. They hid the bike, hoping to come back for it, but we managed to find it.

I got a weekend away at Milpark Hospital, stab wound to the leg and broken Clavicle and Scapular, as I tried to cycle down that embankment (dont ask me why, not the smartest move).

I was cycling alone, so guess I had it coming. But I just wanted to put it out there. Please be careful, from what I am seeing there is a lot of crime at the moment, so be safe out there.

Glad you are safe.

It is sad that you say "so guess I had it coming", you shouldn't have to think like that. Agreed it is better in groups but sometimes it's not possible. Some guys ride in groups but the ride from home to meeting point is often alone so unless you drive there, it's not possible.

Sorry to hear man, heal up quick. I was just looking at the new fencing along Beyers in that section and thinking it should improve the situation, but so much for that idea.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another attack on the Spruit this morning. 

Three female hikers attacked on the long concrete bridge behind Old Parks sports grounds (The long one over the spruit as you head towards Hurlingham from Fratellis)

Appears to be the same group of three men. One with a gun and two with knives. Dressed in all black with black masks. 

Be extra careful guys. They operate all along the spruit from the looks of it. They were involved in the recent attacks in Delta Park, close to Rustenburg Road, and now Old Parks. 

I ******* hate these *****. I'm dying to ride the spruit again but I won't put my fiance at risk.