The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

what no JUNIOR ARGUS talk here yet?!

have moved to fishhoek and now this pumptrack is down our road.

attachicon.gifIMG_20200229_095736.jpg

it's the one at kommetjie/sunvalley intersection near all the sports fields.

thought it had been let go, but someone is basically keeping it going - anyone know who looks after it, and how can we help?

Would also be interested to know.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what no JUNIOR ARGUS talk here yet?!

have moved to fishhoek and now this pumptrack is down our road.

attachicon.gifIMG_20200229_095736.jpg

it's the one at kommetjie/sunvalley intersection near all the sports fields.

thought it had been let go, but someone is basically keeping it going - anyone know who looks after it, and how can we help?

So I might see you when I am down there???? We staying at the seaside cottages. My folks have been there a week already, I only arrive Saturday lunch time.

• 1 month later...

Anyone built a stationary trainer for kids yet?

Seen some on YouTube out of wood, am looking at 16 and 20 inch wheels but only one

Anyone built a stationary trainer for kids yet?

Seen some on YouTube out of wood, am looking at 16 and 20 inch wheels but only one

I have bolted Maritz's bike into the fold open dumb trainer.  He now prefers to use my IDT, with the road bike on it .. even though he cant sit, he just loves it !!

for a 16'' ... modify the training wheels, or put blocks under it, to get the rear wheel in the air.  but then they may spin out with no load on the wheel ....

Best is still the fold open dumb trainers ....

Edited by ChrisF

I have bolted Maritz's bike into the fold open dumb trainer.  He now prefers to use my IDT, with the road bike on it .. even though he cant sit, he just loves it !!

for a 16'' ... modify the training wheels, or put blocks under it, to get the rear wheel in the air.  but then they may spin out with no load on the wheel ....

Best is still the fold open dumb trainers ....

Saris CycleOps Wheel Adapter for Indoor Bike Trainer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BT578A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A7V2CLTRGDT7X&psc=1

I saw this recently - was thinking of trying to make something similar to fit an old trainer I have.

My original plan was to weld some brackets lower down on the A-frame to hold the narrower hub of the smaller bikes and lower the wheel closer to the resistance unit. Might still try that.

Edited by ridr

Saris CycleOps Wheel Adapter for Indoor Bike Trainer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BT578A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A7V2CLTRGDT7X&psc=1

I saw this recently - was thinking of trying to make something similar to fit an old trainer I have.

My original plan was to weld some brackets lower down on the A-frame to hold the narrower hub of the smaller bikes and lower the wheel closer to the resistance unit. Might still try that.

Thanks have managed to Jimmy the dumb idt to fit into the 20" wheel.

Now I need one for me!

Any idea where I can get some spare grips for these? We have 2 bikes and the grips are starting to perish. Might also need a replacement saddle. 23e86236ad35858200561fa1a59e6a01.jpg

Any idea where I can get some spare grips for these? We have 2 bikes and the grips are starting to perish. Might also need a replacement saddle. 23e86236ad35858200561fa1a59e6a01.jpg

what is the bar diameter ?  Wont normal grips work ?

what is the bar diameter ? Wont normal grips work ?

Normal grips are too big/wide. Diameter is smaller than usual - will measure bit later

The width is a non issue - even on the 20'' and 24'' bikes we cut the ESI grips narrower for the kids.

BUT, the shaft diameter is critical !!

The width is a non issue - even on the 20'' and 24'' bikes we cut the ESI grips narrower for the kids.

BUT, the shaft diameter is critical !!

Sorry I meant diameter [emoji28]. Normal grips diameter is wider than these would need. Diameter is +-2cm

Sorry I meant diameter [emoji28]. Normal grips diameter is wider than these would need. Diameter is +-2cm

Uhm ja ... voorspoed ....  :whistling:

this may be interesting to find ....

Think shops like King Cycles in Worcester may be able to assist - the old school bike shop that still fix bikes ....

hopefully somebody can help with a shop closer to you.

and if all else fails ... 2 or 3 layers of bar tape ?

Edited by ChrisF

Uhm ja ... voorspoed .... :whistling:

this may be interesting to find ....

Think shops like King Cycles in Worcester may be able to assist - the old school bike shop that still fix bikes ....

hopefully somebody can help with a shop closer to you.

and if all else fails ... 2 or 3 layers of bar tape ?

What about a piece of Hosepipe?? [emoji1787][emoji3166] Edited by BSG

Looking for a Momsen JSL16 to add to my collection if anyone knows of a second hand one available....

Any cheap silicone grips will work - 1 cut in half per bike. (Not sure why I have black on there - I have a red one sitting in my packet of grips.)

Or road bike bar tape - single wrap works fine for small hands. (I just re-used some old tape from I re-did my road bike or sometimes there's enough from the excess that you cut off when wrapping road bars.)

post-2133-0-61556600-1587061405_thumb.jpeg