The official Riding with Kids thread

TYGA

Any cheap silicone grips will work - 1 cut in half per bike. (Not sure why I have black on there - I have a red one sitting in my packet of grips.)

Or road bike bar tape - single wrap works fine for small hands. (I just re-used some old tape from I re-did my road bike or sometimes there's enough from the excess that you cut off when wrapping road bars.)

jd.jpeg

Thanks, I have thought about using some old road bike tape. I also like the hose pipe suggestion.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any cheap silicone grips will work - 1 cut in half per bike. (Not sure why I have black on there - I have a red one sitting in my packet of grips.)

Or road bike bar tape - single wrap works fine for small hands. (I just re-used some old tape from I re-did my road bike or sometimes there's enough from the excess that you cut off when wrapping road bars.)

attachicon.gifjd.jpeg

That's a great idea, think I'm going to do Number 1 and Number 2's grips. 

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions for a helmet that will actually stay in place and fit like a helmet should? Bought a Bravvos helmet but the thing keeps slipping onto the back of my boy's head, no matter how I adjust the straps. He's a bit of a bobble head, head circumference is 51cm (they are turning 3 in 3 weeks)

Any suggestions for a helmet that will actually stay in place and fit like a helmet should? Bought a Bravvos helmet but the thing keeps slipping onto the back of my boy's head, no matter how I adjust the straps. He's a bit of a bobble head, head circumference is 51cm (they are turning 3 in 3 weeks)

Not sure of that age group.

From 5 years old the Scott helmets worked perfectly for our little one.  Dont know if they have smaller ...

Bought my son a Giro Scamp for his second birthday, turns three in a week. He loves his helmet. 

Had a quick glance at the price, it doubled...at R1200, personally I would look at alternatives.

Bell, Lazer and Uvex bring in kids helmets at the R600 price range.

Titan Racing deliver a kids helmet for R350 that looks like good value.

What bike is he on? Need to start budgeting for a pedal bike for mine

He is on a frog 43, think it’s the smallest pedal bike they make. Easy to use brakes, all components east for the kid and light weight. Main reason he and out ride his cousins, they can only ride their makro specials for 10 minutes till their legs are “broken”.

They think he is a super cyclist, but when their 3 year old jumps on she never stops riding.

12.something kms today with my youngest who luckily enjoys cycling with me. Bought her a Scott 60 from my sister in law after me offering to buy the bike for almost a year.

Her first ride with real cycling pants, a bib I got for free some time ago which almost fits her.487b0021fed36206347b809fd145e9a9.jpga0343824f9ef61b01ab6a457c843e8d0.jpg

Edited by BSG

And then in the week, big brother decided to take little sister on a more proper ride. She mentioned that at times she felt like crying. I must admit that since I bought her the Scott mtb she loves riding much more than when she had the other "mtb". 31df8f05bb40137c564ca71f3373b275.jpg53155c93f479e4fde164e622d77c0560.jpg

Edited by BSG

Congrats and ENJOY

PS ... seems the brake levers are fully out, and his fingers struggle to reach. Very easy to adjust for a better fit ????

Thanks. Didn’t know you can adjust reach on hydraulic brakes. Googled it and I have been schooled. ????????