Bain's Kloof Pass

splat

16 minutes ago, Rouxenator said:

Is Bainskloof pass open? We have a nice little spot booked near Tulbagh next week and I was toying with the idea of riding there. Seems about 80KM via Bainskloof. 

Currently closed. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Stephan said:

Currently closed. 

Thanks for confirming - what source did you use? I am hoping to check it on Sunday as I plan to ride over on Monday.

I also read an article couple of days back that the road was closed after the recent rains. Not sure if its been reopened yet though.

On 6/20/2023 at 9:31 AM, Rouxenator said:

Thanks for confirming - what source did you use? I am hoping to check it on Sunday as I plan to ride over on Monday.

Traffic report this morning noted that Bains Kloof is one of about 4 passed that is open again.

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Traffic report this morning noted that Bains Kloof is one of about 4 passed that is open again.

Any idea if Du Toits is open?

21 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Any idea if Du Toits is open?

Yes.

They spoke about Mitchell's Pass (Ceres), Bainskloof and Du Toits.

Sorry, cant recall the fourth ...

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Yes.

They spoke about Mitchell's Pass (Ceres), Bainskloof and Du Toits.

Sorry, cant recall the fourth ...

Franschoek Pass Maybe? According to Google maps it still looks closed. 

Edited by PhilipV

9 minutes ago, Rouxenator said:

Well Seymour, I made it, despite the wind. But that was scary AF - had to go into the oncoming lane to have a bit more control. In total I saw less than 10 cars on my trip over the pass. 

IMG_20230626_1446552.jpg.47b4381c7e1cb9f2a59a0986f9f69d08.jpg

Quickly becoming one of my favorite passes. The descent into the Worcester side is honestly just exhilarating. Hardly any cars as well so you can fly down there if you’re daring.

11 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Quickly becoming one of my favorite passes. The descent into the Worcester side is honestly just exhilarating. Hardly any cars as well so you can fly down there if you’re daring.

This was my 2nd time, first being the 2019 One Tonner. It is a beautiful pass, and the climb is gradual, I would have loved to go like mad on the downside but I was scared shitless by that time.  

This remains my favourite roadbike loop! Even better now with Bains resurfaced. (Some of the locals disagree though..all their descending KOM's from 10 years ago disappearing now haha)

Bainskloof still on my bucket list rides. But i want to do it from ceres side. maybe a ride out from wellington to gouda, wolseley, bainskloof ending in wellington.

hmm, image.png.7f948898f1931c8be8ca9951ebb692ce.png this will be a nice ride, now to just do it!!

15 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Bainskloof still on my bucket list rides. But i want to do it from ceres side. maybe a ride out from wellington to gouda, wolseley, bainskloof ending in wellington.

hmm, image.png.7f948898f1931c8be8ca9951ebb692ce.png this will be a nice ride, now to just do it!!

If im you i would climb the pass from both sides. Start in Wellington and go over from that side as then you get to enjoy the descent into Worcester side. And then turn around at the end of the road and climb from the other side.