Tour of South Africa Shocking

W1Z@RD

I believe CSA wanted road closure on the short circuit but werent allowed it, they went ahead anyway. There's no saving the situation, once that call was made.

The 'showcasing' of Jo'Burg / Sandton is a big motivation - it's a good idea, good for spectators, good for the sponsor. I'm told CellC put up USD70,000.

It's probably hard to convince them that the race should end in a (safe) mielie field somewhere.

Sure, a sponsor doesn't want an event to slip under the radar with no exposure.

It would've been good for spectators, other than the cycling fraternity, if they knew about it.After the stage was cancelled, not much showcasing happened in Sandton anyway. It's the price CSA paid for ignorance.

I still don't understand Greg Till's comment from last week when he said the cyclists mandate was to 'take them off the back roads and put them where people can see them'. Did he dream that up?

I bet the European pro's don't care where they ride: as long as they ride?

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nothong wrong with this pic? I see a cyclist pulling in front and as the other cyclist comes past to take the front, the pic was taken

Quite normal pic for local cyclists hogging the road and infuriating other road users. That happens every day...... BUT what you see here is NOT ACCEPTABLE for an international event that is supposed to pave the way forward for showcasing South AFrica's abilities to handle cycling events with high caliber teams and racing.

How do you organize 24 points-men when on Jan Smuts and Rivonia alone there are close to 40 intersections.

A 21km race(Pirates) down the road had 15 Outsurance points-men manning the route besides the normal marshals

mampara, look at all the space between the blue and the white car behind it. Couldn't this driver just go into that gap to pass the cyclists? IS IT SO DIFFICULT? Looks like it for our moronists(OOPS, motorists)?

One thing I dont understand with this whole 2 aside 3 aside argument is that if it was a slower car/ truck buss in the lane, you would still have to wait to overtake? If it was a donkey car like we have on Koeberg road then you are just as stuffed. I'm :unsure:

Or are we in such a rush to get somewhere we believe no one else should be on the road?

One thing I dont understand with this whole 2 aside 3 aside argument is that if it was a slower car/ truck buss in the lane, you would still have to wait to overtake? If it was a donkey car like we have on Koeberg road then you are just as stuffed. I'm :unsure:

Or are we in such a rush to get somewhere we believe no one else should be on the road?

Daarsy nou!!! If a 1980, fully rusted 2.4 liter Toyota Hilux, overloaded to 2.5m above the cab sits in the same lane it's an "african thing". But if 2 cyclists sit there it is comparable to murder. EISH!

all the moaning aside what can the normal cycling do about the csa. protest, will anything make them catch a wake up. all catagory riders should ride in the open groups until the people responsible resign, but something like that will only put pressure on the race organisers and not csa? something needs to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The difference is the truck/donkey cart can not thin itself out to take up just 1 meter on the side of the road. If it could, I'm sure it would.

nothong wrong with this pic? I see a cyclist pulling in front and as the other cyclist comes past to take the front, the pic was taken

No, they kept that formation from the bottom all the way to the top.

The difference is the truck/donkey cart can not thin itself out to take up just 1 meter on the side of the road. If it could, I'm sure it would.

That's not the point, and you know it. The point is the motorists could just as easily back off, and overtake when safe to do so. Same as the do for a delivery scooter doing 40km/h, an earthmoving tractor doing 25km/h and so on. It's not about who is in the right and who isn't. It's about literally killing someone because you are in the right, and that just isn't, well, right, is it?

No, they kept that formation from the bottom all the way to the top.

Well if that is the case then the dude riding in the road is just crazy, my nerves will most definitely not hold.

Didn't we have the World B championships in South Africa a year or 2 ago and that went off without a hitch...although i have to admit that the publicity around that event was excellent...

Edited by Robotech

I can understand why motorists are so angry at cyclists. This was just before they closed the road for the race. And they were not the only group.

post-21-0-37967200-1298273680.jpg

I am with you on this one.

How do you organize 24 points-men when on Jan Smuts and Rivonia alone there are close to 40 intersections.

A 21km race(Pirates) down the road had 15 Outsurance points-men manning the route besides the normal marshals

Ditto.I think the request went out too late for clubs to help ,most riders had their own plans for the weekend.

Somewhat off topic but ran the Tuks race in Pta on Saturday and EVERY intersection was properly manned. Someone made sure of it. I didn't know running is so much fun (and organised) :D

That's not the point, and you know it. The point is the motorists could just as easily back off, and overtake when safe to do so. Same as the do for a delivery scooter doing 40km/h, an earthmoving tractor doing 25km/h and so on. It's not about who is in the right and who isn't. It's about literally killing someone because you are in the right, and that just isn't, well, right, is it?

Agreed...also the donkey/cart example would be construed by bleeding heart liberals (especially those from CT) as being a race issue and they would no doubt contact their lefty human rights lawyer ilk. A cyclist however is different because and won't be an issue as it is a white elitist sport. There....solved!!!

Ditto.I think the request went out too late for clubs to help ,most riders had their own plans for the weekend.

Somewhat off topic but ran the Tuks race in Pta on Saturday and EVERY intersection was properly manned. Someone made sure of it. I didn't know running is so much fun (and organised) :D

Yeah running clubs have many years of experience when it comes to race planning but things still go wrong, I recall an annual race our club organized in Boksburg when the traffic official in the lead car decided that the route should change because it went past a certain church at the same time that people started to arrive for the morning service, the club chairman convinced him that it was too late to change because all the marshals were already on route to their marshalling points. Needless to say he was right, I had the pleasure of being on duty at the intersection where the church was, LOL it was interesting to see church goers react when you ask them to wait a few minutes while a couple thousand runners are blocking the road to their church…