"Snip" - the first bad deal I've had on the hub!

Edge_Design

Don't want to choose a side, but all I know is, That is no hairline crack :huh:

+1. I thought the same thing looking at that photo. But with all fairness, how do you prove the crack was not caused by the person who bought the wheels from Edge? In fact, that guy himself never saw the damage - it was seen by his LBS - what is to say that they never caused the damage? It is a tough one, but we can all consider it a very good (and Edge can also consider it a possibly expensive) lesson to always make sure we get what we thought we were going to get, and we inspect it thoroughly on day ONE.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the buyer beware!

My bru who is in CT bought a bike from Potch - he sent his buddy from Jhb to check out the bike and take posession when the money was EFT'd.

ED, I feel your pain - 7k is alot to be screwed over.

Damn!

Its sounds like the wheels were exactly what was in the picture. If the picture wasn't clear enough, request decent ones.

Most shops will only have a 7 day return policy. You can't realistically expect someone to take something back and refund you after more than a month.

There is no way to prove the crack was there when you got them. In the month you could have ridden with the wheels and caused the crack.

Its a tough lesson, but a lesson learnt all the same. Inspect goods or get someone qualified to inspect goods before buying them!

+1

Well if she knows so much about wheels as she said and like me, I just asked this morning about what is dimpled wheels. I didnt know what dimpled wheels where. She could have made a honost mistake.

If you did not know what dimpled wheels are, would you go and advertise any old set as dimpled event though you had no idea what it means? ?

I agree that the ad was misleading...yes....but waiting so long to do anything about it?

First thing when i receive somethin I open it up and make sure it is fine....then take it from there.

Thats my opinion

Not necessary, there are many trustworthy guys here on the hub that I have had dealings with and Edge is one of them.

I have 2nd hand equipment lying in the garage that I bought almost 6 month ago from another trusted hubber, still dont know if they work 100% cause I havent yet gone through the trouble of building my TT bike. But I trust that the equipment is 100% because I trust his word.

Edited by Tankman

THe spelling duzzint bug me.

That's not incorrect spelling KKK. :drool: No white hooded meeting to go to today then?

THe only thing I find bizarre here is some of the incredibly bad spelling in some of the replies!

aint dat de truf.

? Maybe in your browser... I haven't seen one comment in this thread from Snip... but tghen again I dont spel so gud ;)

? Maybe in your browser... I haven't seen one comment in this thread from Snip... but tghen again I dont spel so gud ;)

Here my Bru.

And then all tjiekkababes posts.

Okay, here is my version of the story. Im a new cyclist on the road, wheels is not my speciality. you have contacted me to swop for my zipps. i took photos of the wheels for you of each thing on that wheel you have asked for. There was no crack on that wheel. i have taken the wheels to my bike shop and they said, there’s nothing wrong with the wheels, the bearings on the hub is only a bit dry, and that’s it. The wheels was on my bike, i have done one race with it and i wanted to swop because of the tubbies that i am afraid to change by myself and everyone say its difficult to change. So i didnt swop my wheels bacause there was something wrong with it!it was second hand wheels and you knew it.

The wheels was send to you without any hazzles on 11 JANUARY 2011. Since 11 january 2011 you have never contacted me to tell me anything was wrong with the wheels. As a reasonable person if you have contacted me on the day when you have received the wheels,openend the box and see that those wasnt the wheels you asked for,then you could’ve send it back and i am more than willing to take it back. But you emailed me 21 FEBRUARY 2011. A whole month later while the wheels was in your possesion and you have already made a transaction to sold it to someone else, you come back to me and tell me of all the faults on the wheels that there is and how unhappy you are and now you want me to fix the problem that you have. If you complaining about all the faults there is on the wheels and its not dimpled etc. Why didnt you take the wheels out the day when you received it from the post and checked all these things you complaining about now and send it back? Now you unhappy with me?and i must take the responsibility after a whole month that have pass and the wheels was in your possesion?

Here my Bru.

And then all tjiekkababes posts.

:blush: I looked at #15 and saw Capricorn... Apologies dude. Thanks for enlightening me. Apologies to Snip/tjiekkababe or what ever she goes by... ;)

This is unfortunately a long story, but is basically a warning to anyone who might buy equipment from this hubber in the future.

Snip posted an ad looking to swap a set of used Zipp tubbies for clinchers. I import the Edge wheels and thought it was a good opportunity to get another set of them out on the road. I had no intention of using the Zipps as I already had EC90SLX's and Bora Ultra's, but figured I would sell them off quickly and get most of my money back on the Edge wheels.

She was very keen and agreed to the swap and after a few pics were exchanged and she confirmed the Zipps were dimpled versions and were in good condition, we went ahead with it.

I received them and didn't really have time to look closely at them (yes, that is probably not the best thing to do on my side, but as I haven't been screwed by sellers in the past, I've become a bit to trusting of people). I advertised them on the hub almost immediately and they took a little while to sell, but someone bought them from me in the end. He immediately took them for a service as I couldn't give him much history on the wheels. 2 Days later he contacted me to say the mechanic told him there was a small crack on the braking surface of the one rim, the rear bearings needed replacing, the cassette that came with them was far past being usable and the one tubbie wasn't glued straight. I obviously had to refund him in full as I can't sell something in that sort of condition.

I contacted Snip who informed me she had been told by a mechanic the bearings were dry, but this wasn't a problem (???) and that she hadn't noticed the crack, but I had seen the photo's before accepting the wheels so it is my problem now as I should have seen a tiny hairline crack in the braking surface of the wheels on a low resolution photo of the entire wheel (I've attached a pic of the crack below so you can see what I mean)! Oh, and it could have been caused by the post office (???), crack a rim (with a tyre fitted) inside a box, not so sure about that... And to top it all off, they aren't dimpled rims, they are much older versions as well (as someone not very clued up on Zipps, I had taken her word for it)!

I have tried to stick to facts completely above and not distort anything here or call people names etc.

I intend on contacting a lawyer during this week regarding the matter, but if there is anyone on the hub who can assist me with information on the possible claim I have against someone for selling me faulty goods and providing an incorrect description of them, please let me know (I'm looking for someone who genuinely knows and not just hubbers guesswork if possible as I am out almost R7k here which I can't afford to throw away).

post-4198-0-19258600-1298824233.jpg

* If anyone has any good photo editing skills, please contact me too. I coincidentally took pics of the wheels/rims a week after I got the wheels when I advertised them for sale. I can see the crack in the picture, but can't get it clear enough to be definitive (the pics were taken with my phone unfortunately!). That is pretty solid evidence that the crack was there when I received them and not a new thing from sitting around, but would prefer it to be clearer before using it.

Did you check them when they arrived? I.E the same day?

:blush: I looked at #15 and saw Capricorn... Apologies dude. Thanks for enlightening me. Apologies to Snip/tjiekkababe or what ever she goes by... ;)

:thumbup:

Not your fault, I noticed with every post the number changes.

Is there a spell check on the hub, It looks like I need one :blush: :o

One more comment - how sure are you of your honest intentions if you use a separate addy to do your deals. Guess you'll have to get another new one now - irrespective of their views, I don't think a lot of people on The Hub will be doing business with either Snip or Chicababe after this.

One more comment - how sure are you of your honest intentions if you use a separate addy to do your deals. Guess you'll have to get another new one now - irrespective of their views, I don't think a lot of people on The Hub will be doing business with either Snip or Chicababe after this.

You appear to be very sure that Chicababe and Snip are the same person?