divernick

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning guys.

Riding Gauteng, places like BRB, Northerns, Buffelsdrift and Hennops, what gear ration would you suggest on a 29er?

Rear tyre will be something quick (probably a 2.10), I'm looking at the Maxxis Icon, and the front will be a nice and fat tyre, probably a Specialized Ground Control or something similar (looking at a minimum of a 2.25, possibly even a 2.5)

Good morning guys.

Riding Gauteng, places like BRB, Northerns, Buffelsdrift and Hennops, what gear ration would you suggest on a 29er?

Rear tyre will be something quick (probably a 2.10), I'm looking at the Maxxis Icon, and the front will be a nice and fat tyre, probably a Specialized Ground Control or something similar (looking at a minimum of a 2.25, possibly even a 2.5)

32x18 is a good place to start, maybe even a 17, and take it from there!

Guys I'm thinning the herd. On one pompino rolling chassis for sale. Medium in size. Chris King headset, halo wheel set.

Optional Paul cantis.

PM me for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

I stated building up a very retro 26" GT MTB frame to be a commuter. Want to play with a fixed hub on thin hoops and wheels. I've build wheels before, so I guess if I can find a hub I can build something. A complete rear wheel with a fixed hub may be an easier start. Someone have something like this lying around?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I stated building up a very retro 26" GT MTB frame to be a commuter. Want to play with a fixed hub on thin hoops and wheels. I've build wheels before, so I guess if I can find a hub I can build something. A complete rear wheel with a fixed hub may be an easier start. Someone have something like this lying around?

Thanks!

Not sure who might dabble in fixie's or fixie parts in your area, but I think I've heard something about Sprocket&Jack dealing in single speed parts.

I've also found a online site a while back who sell fixed geared bikes as well as a wide range of components and apparel including a nice deepish section fixed gear hub wheelset.

You can have a look at simplesam.co.za.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Fixie parts are scarce in GP.

You can try the following stores/websites:

1) SimpleSam;

2) Hunter Cycling (I think they are still open);

3) Fixin' Diaries (Most likely your best bet);

4) Rook Cycles down in Cpt

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

What spacing you looking for? Normal fixed wheels are 120mm, rim brake 130mm (Not sure if this applies to old mtb as well?) and disc brake is 135mm... 

I have a White ENO eccentric hub that I run fixed with a disk brake on an old GT Peace frame, which works quite well!

Thanks all for the recommendations. I will have to go and check the spacing and then I will start working through the recommended online stores. I appreciate the feedback!

• 1 month later...

New to me project, just about done, needs bartape.

Been a bit of a challenging build.

Specs: On One pompino frame and fork, Halo track/flip-flop hub built on 36 spoke Alex CX28 tubeless rim, Fire Eye front rim built to 32 hole WTB CrisCross tubeless rim. Suntour GPX brake levers and Radius cantilever brakes. Salsa Woodchipper bar, SLX 170mm crankset with 38 tooth E.13 chainring, 16 tooth BMX freewheel. Kenda Kwick Tendril tyres 35c(for now), hope they survive.

Gravel/commute/CX/roadie thingy

post-1186-0-44815200-1519979154_thumb.jpeg

Took delivery of my "new" SS in the course of the week (thanks NM Meyer). Thinking of a few modifications, some guidance/suggestions will be appreciated.

• Chain tensioner
  • Better brakes (these standard brakes are horrendous)
  • SS chain
  • Black grips
  • Leave the wheels white or get decals?
  • Leave the white tires on?
  • Drop bars or as they are?

post-63970-0-23017000-1519980858_thumb.jpeg

Took delivery of my "new" SS in the course of the week (thanks NM Meyer). Thinking of a few modifications, some guidance/suggestions will be appreciated.

• Chain tensioner
  • Better brakes (these standard brakes are horrendous)
  • SS chain
  • Black grips
  • Leave the wheels white or get decals?
  • Leave the white tires on?
  • Drop bars or as they are?

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2018-03-02 at 10.46.32.jpeg

I had a severely tricked out SS, was an awesome bike and probably the only bike that I would buy back if I could.

On your questions:

1) No tensioner needed, try get a Surly Tuggnut to keep the hub from slipping forward;

2) Brakes worked fine with Coolstop pads, but I eventually got a Paul CX lever which was awesome;

3) Get a SS chain from Rapide;

4 and 6) I prefer bullhorn bars but that's personal preference;

Tires and wheels are personal preference depending on what you need. I ended with some nice Mavic wheels, and when for matching colour tires

A carbon fork also makes it look pretty!!

Here's she is:

post-19039-0-89545800-1519982434_thumb.jpg

post-19039-0-66003000-1519982443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Letum911

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I want to start a single speed/fixed gear bike build and was wondering if there are any shops in Cape Town that actually sell components for these types of bike, apart from the likes of rook cycles or simple sam.

Hi All,

I want to start a single speed/fixed gear bike build and was wondering if there are any shops in Cape Town that actually sell components for these types of bike, apart from the likes of rook cycles or simple sam.

Rook Cycles is your one stop single speed and fixie shop if you want a new build from new components. They know their stuff and their prices are reasonable.

Woodstock Cycle Works is your best bet by far if you want to do a retro build using an old frame and second hand components. Speak to Niels Hansen. They have a massive number of frames and everything you could possibly need, but it will take some guidance to get things to work together unless you know your stuff. They also have a dozen or so ready to ride built up bikes.

Edit: It is worthwhile visiting both shops. You may want to do a mixed build. Old frame but with new wheels? That is roughly what I'm busy with.

Edit edit: Oh, and please go to the trouble to take pictures and post about your project. 

Edited by DJR