Formula 1...

'Dale

That nut shearing off wasnt a prep issue or mistake by anyone 

Its a one in a million occurrence and happened to take place on that day , the commentators said that its been years since something like that has happened.

I don't know of the wheelnuts are regulated but I'm pretty sure they are , so all the teams likely have those same nuts on their cars and the tools to remove them 

The mechanic might have activated the gun slightly before it was properly seated on the nut but this is built into the design(quicker stops), the tool just has to be kinda on the nut then it will slip onto the nut the rest of the way.

It was a freak accident that likely wont happen again in a couple of years , but blaming merc for that is short sighted 

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, BaGearA said:

It was a freak accident that likely wont happen again in a couple of years , but blaming merc for that is short sighted 

I disagree. It speaks to the pressure the crew are under at the time. Put someone under to much pressure and/or bad leadership pushing that pressure down and mistakes happen at crucial times.

A fraction of a second extra to better seat the gun, a slightly calmer operator, could have saved this.

or perhaps it was just a dud wheel nut after all

The splines on those nuts look like the will strip extremely easy. All it takes is for a moving socket(as in a high spinning F1 wheel gun) to start stripping it. I understand why they are shaped the way they are, but I like normal hex nuts!

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

A fraction of a second extra to better seat the gun, a slightly calmer operator, could have saved this.

Toto said the guy was the teams best man, so I dunno.

Toto is blaming Valteri. He says he stopped just before the line and the guy had to put the gun on at an angle. 

So Toto................ why did the other 3 guys get it right?????? and the 100s of stops in years before where okes didn't stop on the line. Toto juast wants to blame VB for everything that goes wrong. 

I am still convinced that the blue eyed boy put some loctite on the nut.

18 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Toto said the guy was the teams best man, so I dunno.

even the best guy put under the wrong leader can be pushed to the point of making mistakes.

I look at the normal work environment where I've seen perfectly capable people making rookie errors because management keeps pushing their buttons.

Just now, ouzo said:

even the best guy put under the wrong leader can be pushed to the point of making mistakes.

Well, in this case, the guy was pushed to mistakes by Bottas missing his mark...

2 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Well, in this case, the guy was pushed to mistakes by Bottas missing his mark...

I'm thinking more along the lines of what has happened behind the scenes leading up to the incident. It's normally not just one thing.

But hey, maybe I'm beating down the wrong door.

9 hours ago, TNT1 said:

It's a pretty common mistake , stroll missed his marks at the spanish gp 

And I'm sure other drivers have also missed the pitstop line this year 

1 minute ago, BaGearA said:

It's a pretty common mistake , stroll missed his marks at the spanish gp 

And I'm sure other drivers have also missed the pitstop line this year 

But, the mighty Toto said...????

On 5/24/2021 at 7:08 AM, Showtime said:

Under the bus indeed. That is poor from Lewis. The first time you struggle you distance yourself from the team and Bottas got the car hooked up fine. 

I hope this is a one off and he is back to his best next race. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/video.lewis-hamilton-we-win-and-lose-as-a-team.6079386579001.html

from 02:58

"We win and we lose as a team"*

*Terms and Conditions apply

17 hours ago, MORNE said:

Those are all and have always been part of motorsport though.

“luck” is when preparation meets opportunity...

merc just didn't prepare well enough at monaco, evident in ham’s setup woes and botta’s pitcrew blunders

There was a famous saying by Gary Player I believe: "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

4 hours ago, Andymann said:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/video.lewis-hamilton-we-win-and-lose-as-a-team.6079386579001.html

from 02:58

"We win and we lose as a team"*

*Terms and Conditions apply

That is the best!! Hamilton on the radio was doing the full debrief over the radio so could go home early.

Then in the interviews asked if he learnt anything from the weekend, said no, the team needs to learn. 

Its always easy to be upbeat when you winning but look at Danny Ric, he gave better interviews than hammy and he is having a mare of a season.

1 hour ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

There was a famous saying by Gary Player I believe: "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

If Bottas did not have bad luck he would have no luck at all.