I have an idea for a new thread...

TNT1

would love to know what happened afterwards. wonder if she was charged or if they confiscated the gun away or anything. The law is not too kind to people who are protecting themselves

last I saw was that she was being charged with murder

• Replies 78.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s not what I said.

But it is what HE said.

I wonder sometimes what I would do if I was the guy behind them.......

You, as a dad.....do you risk walking up to them en confront them for the sake of not being branded as "only give a crap about themselves"?

Because I don't only give a crap about myself.  I do care about others.

They turn around and shoot your ass and your daughter grows up without you.....

So do you risk it?

Serious question.

Edited by Asio

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Now where have I heard that before......

Couldn't agree more though

But it is what HE said.

You, as a dad.....do you risk walking up to them en confront them for the sake of not being branded as "only give a crap about themselves"?

So do you risk it?

Serious question.

But it is what HE said.

So do you risk it?

Serious question.

Think this is a case of 'bystander effect'. Everyone expecting someone else is going to step in and then no one does. 

There's obviously also the legitimate fear of not knowing whether these guys are armed. 

But it is what HE said.

So do you risk it?

Serious question.

From a different kind of experience, but in short  ...... no.

For one simple reason. If you are sitting on your own watching this, and you open your car door to run and help, some other guy is waiting in the wings to take stuff out of your car. So unless you have the presence of mind to switch your car off, lock it and put your keys in your pocket, you rather do nothing.

If your young kids are with you ....do you lock the doors? If your older kids are with you, do you give them the keys.

If your partner is with do do you tell them* to keep the video running so they* can be famous.

(*whatever amorphous sexuality you may call yourself)

EDIT:

Oh yes, the most important reason people dont help ..... lack of training. It was sad to hear two voices, one could have easily gotten out to help - but then what ? Would you know what to do if a knife or gun is pulled on you? Where is Gummi, he could give some input here. Like he says, always, always watch the hands. Eyes dont kill you, its the hands.

I have been mugged/robbed exactly like that, stopped in bumper to bumper traffic, window wide open like an idiot. Out of the blue I get a knife in the face then held at my neck, the car key was pulled so I couldn't drive away, then they went rifling through the car taking my phone, whatever looked valuable.

Sitting in that situation at their mercy all you are dearly hoping for is for someone to step in to help. Eventually a vehicle behind me started to hoot and the robot changed to green which meant vehicles started moving and the skabengas ran away.

That being said an important lesson of self defense is don't be foolish enough to step into an incident if there is an assailant and you aren't trained or sufficiently armed to do so. Often you and the original victim will get injured and then both be at the mercy of the criminal, or even worse you will become the victim. That doesn't mean you do nothing but it may mean that initially you will have to watch until an opportunity to help arises, which may just mean being there to call for help.

Also these things happen quickly, the video above is only 19secs long, not always easy for drivers around you to discern what is going on before it's too late.

But all that being said you would have hoped at least someone would have got out and tried to skrik the guys into running. Then again knowing Sa these skoms would probably stab a dude who tried that, hence the people in the vehicles that were around this incident were probably wise not to try that...

Sa criminals are not to be trifled with.

Back in high school and around '94/95 a friend and I took a train to town in order for him to go and buy a pair of takkies ... he setup a very profitable mobile tuck shop at the school and he wanted to enjoy his hard earned money.

We were sitting on opposite sides of the isle passage from each other, and at the next station 3 scumbags get on the train. They sit down on his side, and it looks like they are just talking to him. The next thing I see is his takkies flying off his feet. Instinct kicks in and I pull the nearest SB (ScumBag) down to the ground and see that of the other two, one has a rather large knife to this throat and the other SB was taking his other shoe off.

In this time SB no.1 gets up and starts coming for me, I managed to fight him off with my bag, but could only fend him off and not really go for him because of the knife to my friends throat. This struggle goes on to the next train station and these guys vanished in a flash.

This whole situation could have gone really bad, really quickly.....the SB's, my friend and I were the only people on the carriage at that time. 

Had a few other incidents around this time, but this was the one where the risk was highest, the rest were just a bunch of idiots in a group taking a chance and wanting to take things from people thinking they could get away with it. Fortunately in these incidents no weapons came out and no one lost any goods.

End of last year one of our commuters sees two guys walk up to a bakkie in traffic, SB's pull a knife, stab the driver, take what looked like his phone and walked away from there like nothing happened.

Brother in Law was stabbed and mugged in the city.

Back at school we go to see a guy who a friends girlfriend says tried to abuse her. The friend who was her boyfriend talks to the ^&%$& in a civilised way, next thing, and out of nowhere the #%$^#$^ has a knife out and takes a slash at my friend cutting deeply into the skin on his abdomen. One of the guys with us has a nunchuka (spelling) and throws this to our friend who quickly sorts out the knife wielding ^&%$&%.

Back at school, on the school grounds a guy takes a friends wallet ... we run after him, I get to him and he pulls out a knife. Take him down and remove the knife.

Both of the above could have gone horribly wrong in a flash.

Not one of us can judge what another person should or should not do in a situation as per the previous posts. Not everyone can handle themselves and could possibly cause more trouble, get hurt or killed, etc.

I have been mugged/robbed exactly like that, stopped in bumper to bumper traffic, window wide open like an idiot. Out of the blue I get a knife in the face then held at my neck, the car key was pulled so I couldn't drive away, then they went rifling through the car taking my phone, whatever looked valuable.

Sitting in that situation at their mercy all you are dearly hoping for is for someone to step in to help. Eventually a vehicle behind me started to hoot and the robot changed to green which meant vehicles started moving and the skabengas ran away.

That being said an important lesson of self defense is don't be foolish enough to step into an incident if there is an assailant and you aren't trained or sufficiently armed to do so. Often you and the original victim will get injured and then both be at the mercy of the criminal, or even worse you will become the victim. That doesn't mean you do nothing but it may mean that initially you will have to watch until an opportunity to help arises, which may just mean being there to call for help.

Also these things happen quickly, the video above is only 19secs long, not always easy for drivers around you to discern what is going on before it's too late.

But all that being said you would have hoped at least someone would have got out and tried to skrik the guys into running. Then again knowing Sa these skoms would probably stab a dude who tried that, hence the people in the vehicles that were around this incident were probably wise not to try that...

Sa criminals are not to be trifled with.

Yip, exact thing happened to me. With a knife at your throat and 2 guys rummaging over you, the last thing you want is for someone to be a hero and antagonize the knifeman.

What you want is for them to take whatever is lying around and leave. It is just stuff.

My thoughts weren’t “how do I take them out”, they were “how do I keep them calm and get to see my family tonight”...

WTAF?????

The justice system in the god forsaken country is a f****** joke 

last I saw was that she was being charged with murder

Yip, exact thing happened to me. With a knife at your throat and 2 guys rummaging over you, the last thing you want is for someone to be a hero and antagonize the knifeman.

What you want is for them to take whatever is lying around and leave. It is just stuff.

My thoughts weren’t “how do I take them out”, they were “how do I keep them calm and get to see my family tonight”...

When 13 my son was coming back from a swim along the Catwalk in Fish Hoek when he was mugged with a knife for his phone.He asked the asshole if he could take out the sim card and he said yes.My son remained cool and calm so it did not escalate...thats the secret

If you help someone, you might get stabbed or go to jail.... 

Criminals have more human rights than victims. 

I see this line trotted out often on the interwebs. It's simply not true - everyone has the same rights. You might not like those rights when applied to criminals, but that is a different debate.

from the Guardian

Beijing’s new airport is just the latest megaproject that has seen China pour more concrete every two years than the US did in the entire 20th century

I see this line trotted out often on the interwebs. It's simply not true - everyone has the same rights. You might not like those rights when applied to criminals, but that is a different debate.

yes and no. what you say is 100% correct under law. but the law should also reflect the peoples will. i think 99.9% of the population will agree that if someone takes away your rights by trying to harm you or relieve you of your posessions, they automatically give up their own rights in the process. but the law sees it differently. i am still expected to respect the rights of the person who is busy taking away mine - thus leaving me as a law abiding citizen helpless to defend myself.

yes and no. what you say is 100% correct under law. but the law should also reflect the peoples will. i think 99.9% of the population will agree that if someone takes away your rights by trying to harm you or relieve you of your posessions, they automatically give up their own rights in the process. but the law sees it differently. i am still expected to respect the rights of the person who is busy taking away mine - thus leaving me as a law abiding citizen helpless to defend myself.

no. you can use force when you feel your life is threatened.