Introduce yourself

Bianchisti

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day all..

I am Gerhard from South Africa. Used to live in Cape Town where i was very involved in the Kite-Surfing Scene and moved Inland to Gauteng. 

I need a sport and decided to start Mountain Biking.

Huge problem. I know nothing about the sport. which bike to buy is my biggest issue. i have been searching the adds in the shops for a Bike as well as checked on YouTube however this has me just more confused than anything else.

I joined here to try and get an opinion on which bike i should start out with. I dont have a Big budget (R8000.00) for a bike as i have to buy all gear. 

I am not sure even what type of trail/XC/Dh/Enduro or what ever i am interested in doing.. I just want to go and have fun.. break sweat.. get fit, have a bit of Adrenalin pumping and so forth.

I have read that its better to buy 2nd hand in stead of new however I honestly dont know what to do.

Any advice will be Greatly appreciated

• 1 month later...

Good morning all.

Geno from Bloemfontein. 31yo.

Total noob to cycling. The area where I live is great for MTB so I want to give it a bash seeing that I love the outdoors.

Please excuse all the old worn out questions that I might ask.

Cheers

Good day all..

I am Gerhard from South Africa. Used to live in Cape Town where i was very involved in the Kite-Surfing Scene and moved Inland to Gauteng.

I need a sport and decided to start Mountain Biking.

Huge problem. I know nothing about the sport. which bike to buy is my biggest issue. i have been searching the adds in the shops for a Bike as well as checked on YouTube however this has me just more confused than anything else.

I joined here to try and get an opinion on which bike i should start out with. I dont have a Big budget (R8000.00) for a bike as i have to buy all gear.

I am not sure even what type of trail/XC/Dh/Enduro or what ever i am interested in doing.. I just want to go and have fun.. break sweat.. get fit, have a bit of Adrenalin pumping and so forth.

I have read that its better to buy 2nd hand in stead of new however I honestly dont know what to do.

Any advice will be Greatly appreciated

Second hand is likely to get you more value for money, however, for the inexperienced, it could end up costing you a fortune if you buy an unsuitable or worn out bike (if you don't know what you are buying)

I suggest getting a new bike from a reputable bike shop. It will have a warranty, the bike will be properly set up and the shop will give proper advice.

Hi all

Rob here from Bedfordview in JHB. Back on the MTB after an 18 year break. I picked up a second hand KTM Ultra Sport from a pal. Done a few rides on the Spruit and enjoyed it thoroughly (apart from binning it on both rides). Thinking a soft tail might have been a better choice to go for :oops:  Hoping to explore a few more trails round JHB.

Hi all

Rob here from Bedfordview in JHB. Back on the MTB after an 18 year break. I picked up a second hand KTM Ultra Sport from a pal. Done a few rides on the Spruit and enjoyed it thoroughly (apart from binning it on both rides). Thinking a soft tail might have been a better choice to go for :oops:  Hoping to explore a few more trails round JHB.

Welcome and enjoy

Hi all! im Kat from the East rand, Got my first ever MTB late Nov 2017' , got left behind by my mates on their road bikes then sold my MTB in DEC for my first ever Road bike(an old 80's?? Steel frame Olympic II Sprinter from bouwer Broers)on olx. Only a few weeks in and im very much addicted to cycling. Hoping to save up enough money this year to upgrade and get aanother decent 2nd hand Road bike and do the 94.7 challenge.

In the interim though there are no excuses im pumping the KM's on the oldie and i have to say that im very happy with it even though it doesn't look 'cool'.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tabula Rasa

Hi all! im Kat from the East rand, Got my first ever MTB late Nov 2017' , got left behind by my mates on their road bikes then sold my MTB in DEC for my first ever Road bike(an old 80's?? Steel frame Olympic II Sprinter from bouwer Broers)on olx. Only a few weeks in and im very much addicted to cycling. Hoping to save up enough money this year to upgrade and get aanother decent 2nd hand Road bike and do the 94.7 challenge.

In the interim though there are no excuses im pumping the KM's on the oldie and i have to say that im very happy with it even though it doesn't look 'cool'.

Hi

Morning,

There is a big group in the East rand that ride 6 days a week from a shop Bicycle line at Summerfields complex.

They cater for all riders from noobs to racing snakes. Check them out.

Morning,

There is a big group in the East rand that ride 6 days a week from a shop Bicycle line at Summerfields complex.

They cater for all riders from noobs to racing snakes. Check them out.

Thanks a lot will do, anyone i should contact about the times?

Hi, I'm Natasha. Originally from Cape Town and now residing in George. I got my entry level MTB silverback in 2014; did the Knysna Oyster festival 50kms and just stopped riding.

I have started up again in November 2017 and still a complete noob. There are some great routes here, which I ride with others but will soon have to brave them by myself (not to keen to ride alone) due to my cycling partner going to Botswana for a period.

I'm hoping to upgrade this year as well.

Hi, I'm Natasha. Originally from Cape Town and now residing in George. I got my entry level MTB silverback in 2014; did the Knysna Oyster festival 50kms and just stopped riding.

I have started up again in November 2017 and still a complete noob. There are some great routes here, which I ride with others but will soon have to brave them by myself (not to keen to ride alone) due to my cycling partner going to Botswana for a period.

Lekker - welcome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone

I'm Matthew from Kloof. I grew up on a mountain bike (mostly in Lesotho) and now i'm in Kloof KZN. After a long break i'm getting back into riding and also accidentally into bike maintenance as i've had to build up from lots of parts. 

Hi everyone

I'm Matthew from Kloof. I grew up on a mountain bike (mostly in Lesotho) and now i'm in Kloof KZN. After a long break i'm getting back into riding and also accidentally into bike maintenance as i've had to build up from lots of parts.

Welcome Matthew

Welcome. Keep riding no matter what!