Introduce yourself

Bianchisti

Hi everyone, 

My name is Leo, and I am coming from Russia . 

There I have been an active MTB member, organized a trail association in my city Samara and currently building a trail park (unfortunately, remotely). 

Been traveling the world ever since the war started in Ukraine… 🇺🇦💔

Here is a glimpse of what we were doing back there. 

Came to Cape Town about 4 months ago and want to join the MTB scene here. 

Currently reside in Muiznenberg. 

Hit me up if you are down to Enduro/Downhill ride 🤘🏼

Would be glad to join you for a trail building session as well!

IMG_0481.jpg

Edited by Leonvla

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone

relatively new to cycling. Bought a road bike last July and liked it - but the bike wasn’t great.

Got myself a better bike in Jan. now I’m trialling apps so I can train and try to do a sub4 Cycle Tour.

be safe on the roads/trails/mountains.

• 7 months later...

Long time member/commuter, today I spent an hour reading the RC vs Andreas match from last week (haven't watched Dricus vs Sean yet, but I can't imagine it being any better).  And although I didn't have popcorn I enjoyed it enough that I figured I should make some friends out here. 

Recently built my first bicycle frame and will be posting some stuff on that soon, feeling rather out of my depth but I've never had as much fun making something as that, so I'm sure it won't be the first. 

First real bike was a trek fast track 470 that I bought for R450 on gumtree in 2009 (the glory days of classifieds) - still riding it today.

Hello.. I am Mike, I have a strange sense of humor, I can be quite vulgar and I am covered in tattoos, I also have a ginger beard.. I live in jozi but am from Cape Town..

my late teens and twenties were spent in a haze of drugs and alcohol that nearly killed me, twice.. 

I got clean 7 years ago and started eating myself to 85kg, at my height that’s quite chubby.. 

A year ago I bought a mountain bike and started riding trails and on road for fitness.. I found myself spending more time on roads as driving to trails became a hack and time that could be spent cycling so I bought a gravel bike 6 months ago, which I almost exclusively ride road with and I love it..

I am actually very friendly despite my appearance and a generally happy and pleasant person.. 

Thank you for having me..!😉🤘🏻

f9a2fe82-77df-45d4-bdf0-96075a669933.jpeg

Edited by Bichael Dewing
Decided to add photo

1 hour ago, bebnin said:

Long time member/commuter, today I spent an hour reading the RC vs Andreas match from last week (haven't watched Dricus vs Sean yet, but I can't imagine it being any better).  And although I didn't have popcorn I enjoyed it enough that I figured I should make some friends out here. 

Recently built my first bicycle frame and will be posting some stuff on that soon, feeling rather out of my depth but I've never had as much fun making something as that, so I'm sure it won't be the first. 

First real bike was a trek fast track 470 that I bought for R450 on gumtree in 2009 (the glory days of classifieds) - still riding it today.

To be fair, you're under selling yourself. Your home workshop is spectacular (if messy). You WELDED your first bike frame together from tubes you notched and ground yourself, then stuck it all together.

You've even made a guitar that looks like Super Mario... 

You always have a friend in me, even if I don't see you very often or send you love notes enough.

3 hours ago, Bichael Dewing said:

Hello.. I am Mike, I have a strange sense of humor, I can be quite vulgar and I am covered in tattoos, I also have a ginger beard.. I live in jozi but am from Cape Town..

my late teens and twenties were spent in a haze of drugs and alcohol that nearly killed me, twice.. 

I got clean 7 years ago and started eating myself to 85kg, at my height that’s quite chubby.. 

A year ago I bought a mountain bike and started riding trails and on road for fitness.. I found myself spending more time on roads as driving to trails became a hack and time that could be spent cycling so I bought a gravel bike 6 months ago, which I almost exclusively ride road with and I love it..

I am actually very friendly despite my appearance and a generally happy and pleasant person.. 

Thank you for having me..!😉🤘🏻

f9a2fe82-77df-45d4-bdf0-96075a669933.jpeg

Which one are you? 😄

Welcome and keep on enjoying the Hub!

Edited by gerriemtb

Ola! Are people still posting on this thread outcheaa? 😎 Living in the NL 🇳🇱 for the passed 2 months, ex Cape Town and I need advice on my MTB chain/rear derailleur issue I have - if anyone can reach out it'd be appreciated 👍 (bought the bike at Durbanville Cycles new in 2022, but the issue materialized now when I arrived 😬)

Hello folks

I am David, thank you for allowing me into the community where I hope to learn.

At the tender age of 55+ I am now starting to cycle on a mountain bike for general health and well being.  I will be cycling around the Helderberg area as we are so lucky to have such beautiful scenery with the mountains on the one side and False Bay on the other.  My cycling is usually done before 6am in the morning so as to reduce the impact of traffic.  I am taking it very casual and on my fourth ride I covered 13km only.

Trying to avoid the usual watch gear reviews, search for gear, upgrade gear and the find a new hobby with the same modus operandi.

I joined Strava at the advice of a good friend and I use that as entertainment and my paunch as the final judge of how well my cycling is going

On 1/29/2024 at 3:29 PM, gerriemtb said:

Which one are you? 😄

Welcome and keep on enjoying the Hub!

I’m the good looking one, obviously.. 🙄

🤣🤣🤣

Started cycling to get fitter mx and motard on a two bicycles won on a Spar lucky draw 18 years ago .

Stopped mx and motard many years ago and cycling is the better in so many ways .

My son and I ride 3 to 4 times a week every week if possible . At least he cannot drop me as easily as he used to on the track .

Mostly mtb with a little road and tandem .

Edited by Shane S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Steven from the Eastrand here. Been cycling (mainly MTB) for a few years now. Often visits to the dark place where pain is your friend is one of my favourite ways to pass the time. 

Recently started road cycling and the bug got hold of me, and is not letting go. I enjoy every moment on my bike, on the road & trainer(cheapy) no matter how bad a ride gets.

Me and my wife will both ride the upcoming Emperors classic (48km), just to experience it. But before then we will both join some group rides just to get a feel for riding in a group.

I am an easy going guy who enjoys learning from others.

May our paths cross in the future !

2 hours ago, Steven421 said:

Hi All,

Steven from the Eastrand here. Been cycling (mainly MTB) for a few years now. Often visits to the dark place where pain is your friend is one of my favourite ways to pass the time. 

Recently started road cycling and the bug got hold of me, and is not letting go. I enjoy every moment on my bike, on the road & trainer(cheapy) no matter how bad a ride gets.

Me and my wife will both ride the upcoming Emperors classic (48km), just to experience it. But before then we will both join some group rides just to get a feel for riding in a group.

I am an easy going guy who enjoys learning from others.

May our paths cross in the future !

Nice mate.!! That road cycling bug is a sneaky one.. 😳.. also went from mtb to a roadie.. 

no regrets.!🤣🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

Long time expat, here. Emigrated to Canada many years ago and am now looking at returning now that my child has left home and is on her feet. Time to spoil myself with an amazing quality of life that only SA can offer. I've taken up cycling and ebiking which is now a part of my life. Knowing where to ride safely is important to me. I'm sure there's a wealth of info here and I looked forward to finding out.

Good afternoon my fellow cyclists.

its been a few years since I've turned a crank in anger and the weight of my poor decisions has been accumulating severely since I've taken up the brew...

once having been on the whip of wonders and making weekend warriors cry I have now become the weakest link.

if all goes well I should be receiving of the stick in a few hours, and not knowing the current state of the pistons and motor is daunting to say the least.

butt none the less, here I am getting ready to restart a cycling hobby... lets see where this goes.

The name is Gerhard but my friends call me G.. or GV... that one is a bit of tounge in cheek offensive but you will have to spend a hour cranking it up to find out.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-04 at 16.41.15_475c59b7.jpg