Things I've learnt from commuting

zeabre

This might have been covered in the previous 224 pages, but what is the best way to plan a route to work? I am considering starting commuting in the new year, but the actual route to take is still the big unknown at the moment.

1. Safety always takes preference. Wide shoulder, slow moving cars, no trucks and buses, cycle lane, low crime, fellow cyclists are all positives. High speeds, narrow, heavy vehicles, dodgy neigbourhoods are all negatives to try avoid.

2. Try for the straightest / shortest route, but adapt for above

3. Try for flattest route, but adapt for above

4. Try for a route sheltered from headwind. Like treed lanes.

5. Look for places you can ride that will take you out of the harms way, like sidewalks, pedestrian overbridges or subways to avoid dangerous traffic.

6. Go try it beforehand to see what works 

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those ^#^#$& who throw beer bottles on the cycle lane should be dragged naked over the glass and tar.

Got a decent slash in my tyre this morning and punctured.

Fixed it and a few meters later the tube popped out through the hole ... puncture no. 2.

Patched the inside of the tyre and put in a new tube, all good.

Stop at the coffee spot and when I get to my bike again some ^#^&$%*&$%& box stole my front light off my bike.

Needless to say I am a little #Y^%&$#&% and ##^%^%&$ today.

That's exactly how I know it's the festive season. Not from the mince pies on the shelves, or the sounds of Boney M blaring from every shop, but by the sudden increase in glass on our roads (both from accidents and alcohol bottles).

I hope your day has since improved...

1. Safety always takes preference. Wide shoulder, slow moving cars, no trucks and buses, cycle lane, low crime, fellow cyclists are all positives. High speeds, narrow, heavy vehicles, dodgy neigbourhoods are all negatives to try avoid.

2. Try for the straightest / shortest route, but adapt for above

3. Try for flattest route, but adapt for above

4. Try for a route sheltered from headwind. Like treed lanes.

5. Look for places you can ride that will take you out of the harms way, like sidewalks, pedestrian overbridges or subways to avoid dangerous traffic.

6. Go try it beforehand to see what works 

Great tips thanks, I`ll keep them in mind. My route with the car is down the M1 in JHB, cannot really do that with the bike. But I will try a couple routes next to the highway over the holidays before I properly do it next year then, 

Where are you hoping to ride from to  ? 

my car commute is opposite ie : up the M1 , four ways to centurion

Great tips thanks, I`ll keep them in mind. My route with the car is down the M1 in JHB, cannot really do that with the bike. But I will try a couple routes next to the highway over the holidays before I properly do it next year then, 

I did two trial rides to work during the weekend before actually doing it on a work day.

And YES, it is all about what route provides you the most safety ....

Where are you hoping to ride from to  ? 

my car commute is opposite ie : up the M1 , four ways to centurion

Mine will be Sunninghill to Houghton, so looks like a few options on the west side of the M1, crossing just once at the end. 

Glass, there seems to be more after every weekend. Have had the experience of a 2 week old tyre destroyed by glass. Luckily it was only a block from work and I managed to find the last 700x40c tyre in the whole of Polokwane. There is only 3 bike shops, 2 half decent, the other more for commuters and kids bikes. Seems to be getting worse, like the bottles are getting babies!

Good idea to ride a new route before you actually use it for commute!

Enjoy

BEWARE RAILWAY LINES IN THE WET!

Railway lines in general - wet or dry, night time or daytime... with OR without green eggs and ham... they're the devil!

thanks

slipped in a piece of off leather as a gator between the tube and the tyre ....had been working very will and may still get a couple of km out of the tyre before I have to bin it due to the glass cut.

That's exactly how I know it's the festive season. Not from the mince pies on the shelves, or the sounds of Boney M blaring from every shop, but by the sudden increase in glass on our roads (both from accidents and alcohol bottles).

I hope your day has since improved...

Railway lines in general - wet or dry, night time or daytime... with OR without green eggs and ham... they're the devil!

Add to that fat painted zebra crossings... but that was when I was still commuting by motorbike in Belgium... I just managed to stick my foot out to save the bike during when front wheel slipped!

thanks

slipped in a piece of off leather as a gator between the tube and the tyre ....had been working very will and may still get a couple of km out of the tyre before I have to bin it due to the glass cut.

Once got a bad cut to my tyre in Pretoria but thanks to the local friendly smokers there were lots of empty cigarette boxes lying around.  Slipped in a piece of the box between the tyre and tube and I could continue my ride with no problem.

A good many years ago, when we could still cycle through the CT harbour, I went over a rail line on a rainy day .... the rear wheel slipped into the groove and I was out the saddle pedaling hard.

I will never forget the hard snapping sound and the violent bucking that nearly sent me over the front bars .... rim snapped and back was stuffed for a few weeks following this.

Rail lines are really dangerous .... recall seeing two riders going down very hard on one of the DC's when crossing the rail lines ... not a pretty sight.

Once got a bad cut to my tyre in Pretoria but thanks to the local friendly smokers there were lots of empty cigarette boxes lying around.  Slipped in a piece of the box between the tyre and tube and I could continue my ride with no problem.

When last did you hear about a d-0-o-s on the road, actually being helpful? I've heard it all now.

Edited by Imploder